Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Does Dyna Mat Works? Your Opinion, Please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Does Dyna Mat Works? Your Opinion, Please.

I have just finished my system recently, but I noticed the road noise of the xB is quite loud (especially on the fwy since I have 18s and big tires)...

I heard sound deadening material like Dyna mat could only eliminate the "buzz" of the door or body panels. Does it function as noise insulation as well?

All I want is to improve the quietness of the interior. As many of you should know, the insulation (especially sound) on the xB is pretty flimsy...

Especially those who are using sound deadening material, need your advise! Thanks!

[/img]
Old 05-09-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

it won't hurt but will add weight. There are two main modes of sound dampening. The first is to add mass to the vibrating panel, changing it's natural frequency out of the audible range. This helps a lot with trunk rattle and other bass induced noise. This is was the classic rubberized asphault. This does not do a good job of absorbing sound and probably won't help much on road noise.

The newer, butyl-rubber mats will actually absorb sound and should work well for you. I found a good price on Dynamat, it killed the sub vibrations but was less effective on road noise. It's also generally overpriced. try eDead from elemental designs, it probably the cheapest to offer decent performance, and is available by the square foot so you don't end up paying for extra.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The audio community is on the fence over eDead. The eD fanboys claim it works great, but many others have had problems with it not sticking, and generally just being a lousy product. Right now, deadener from Second Skin Audio (http://www.secondskinaudio.com/) seems the be the best bet. They also have a forum over on SoundSolutionsAudio (http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...p?showforum=73)

Give it a try, people seems to be satisfied with it.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
The audio community is on the fence over eDead. The eD fanboys claim it works great, but many others have had problems with it not sticking, and generally just being a lousy product. Right now, deadener from Second Skin Audio (http://www.secondskinaudio.com/) seems the be the best bet. They also have a forum over on SoundSolutionsAudio (http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...p?showforum=73)

Give it a try, people seems to be satisfied with it.
Installed a few square feet of eDead v1^2 when I recently installed my Alpine 6-1/2" speakers. I had no problem with it sticking, so I'm wondering if you are referring to the previous revision (which actually did pretty well in an online comparative review I read!)
Old 05-11-2008, 02:29 AM

Default insulation

The gooey panel deadeners are just that. They dampen the steel vibrations and any panel 'ringing'. If you want to quiet the car, use 1/8" Volara! This is closed cell foam with a skin on it. You dont have to glue it. Just use it for a liner on door panels, floor etc. It makes the interior much quieter and its not expensive. Also, it doesen't hold water. It actually floats on water. Great insulator..

http://www.foambymail.com/Volara.html
Old 05-11-2008, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

they work but sure are a lot of work to install
Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 AM

Default Re: insulation

Originally Posted by lasstss
The gooey panel deadeners are just that. They dampen the steel vibrations and any panel 'ringing'. If you want to quiet the car, use 1/8" Volara! This is closed cell foam with a skin on it. You dont have to glue it. Just use it for a liner on door panels, floor etc. It makes the interior much quieter and its not expensive. Also, it doesen't hold water. It actually floats on water. Great insulator..

http://www.foambymail.com/Volara.html
Cool, thanks lasstss, that's what I am looking for! I guess I would like to use it to insulate all doors and the quarter panel. Is 1/8" good enough to seal off the sound? Or 3/8" is even better? What do you guys think? Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

www.secondskinaudio.com

I've done my doors and it's made a difference. I've used damplifier pro. It's good stuff.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
www.secondskinaudio.com

I've done my doors and it's made a difference. I've used damplifier pro. It's good stuff.
Any pics?
Did you do just the door or everywhere? How thick is yours? What type did you use exactly?