Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Cargo Net Pics?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cargo Net Pics?

I just got the Scion cargo net, but I didn't realize I had to drill into my plastic to install it . I'm considering returning it and just not having a net . But, does anybody have some pics of it installed or pics of the actual installation?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:19 AM

Default I don't have pics

I don't have pics, but I did install it and the cargo cover as well. Just use the templates that come along with it and drill carefully. It looks great and went in easy. Looks just like the factory installed net that came with my camry or my wife's prius.

Super easy job.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: I don't have pics

Originally Posted by agstone22
I don't have pics, but I did install it and the cargo cover as well. Just use the templates that come along with it and drill carefully. It looks great and went in easy. Looks just like the factory installed net that came with my camry or my wife's prius.

Super easy job.
+1 Super easy job and TOTALLY worth it! The reason I bought an XB was to add cheap and easy mods myself and this was one of those that fit the bill perfectly. Just make sure you use the right size drill bits. They tell you what size in the instructions so it shouldn't be too hard. Or, just ask a friend to help you.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am pretty mechanically inclined, I'm just afraid of making a mistake on a brand new car.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's the purpose of the cargo net?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Adds 10 horsepower...
Old 05-14-2008, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by kdx80boy
Adds 10 horsepower...
And if you live close to the ocean, it doubles as a fishing net.

Be weary of dolphins...
Old 05-15-2008, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed mine too, but I would say I am a little bit disappointed. More than 1/3 of the net is a stupid pouch that couldn't store anything. I wouldn't be upset if I didn't have one.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OK, here's a dumb question. I bought an OEM cargo net off ebay and the drill instructions call for 3.5mm and 10mm holes. I just got back from Lowe's, looking for metric drill bits and couldn't find a single one. :?

Closest using the "old" system would be 1/8' and 3/8'. Will these size bits work for the net install? I don't want to drill holes in my new baby, knowing I don't have metric bits and have it all f'd up.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just finished installing the net so I can answer you completely.

First, the instructions are wrong. I used standard (same problem as you) but I used a special measuring tool to figure out exactly what each drill bit was in mm.

1. the 3.5mm hole actually needed to be about 4.5mm for the end of the screw to screw into the sheet metal (I can't remember what size in standard that was though).

2. Don't even bother setting the 10mm drill stop on the drill bit, just go in untill you go through the sheet metal.

3. If you use a 3/8 drill bit, you will need to round out the hole a bit for the bigger part of the hook to go through the panel. I did it this way, but I think a 1/2" drill bit would work better, I just didn't have one.

In the end, I really don't think it was worth the trouble installing it. If I got another Scion XB, I wouldn't bother.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by kdx80boy
In the end, I really don't think it was worth the trouble installing it. If I got another Scion XB, I wouldn't bother.
Seems to be the popular opinion. I think I might throw mine back on eBay.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't toss it back up on eBay just yet. You obviously wanted the net, so put it in. I was given the net as a present. Even if you don't use the net, the hooks are great. I plan to hang a bungee cord across mine and use it to hang my groceries on.

Just be aware that the instructions are not exact, but it is not difficult at all to install. I spent more time finding the drill and the drill bits than I did actually installing it.

Also, use the instructions that came with the net, not the one from TRD Sparks. If you print it out from TRD Sparks, the template will not be the exact right size (you can test this with a ruler using the mm scale on the bottom left of the template as it won't match up exactly).
Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 PM

Default I use mine all the time

I use my cargo net all the time for everything from groceries to notebooks and other stuff that I don't want sliding around in the back.

Take-out is a good example. It holds it well and keeps it from spilling. Eggs and melons are another.

In the attached pouch I keep a multi-tool, screwdrivers, lighter, flashlight and anything else that would rattle in the glove box. I used to hate hearing all that stuff rattling around.

I find it very useful and that is IMHO.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well, I did end up installing it. Took less than a half hour, and as others have said, the instructions are CLEARLY wrong. I had to gradually increase the drill bit size to a hole that I could screw the T-anchors into by hand with enough resistance to feel it was a permanent install but at the same time not so much resistance that I had to worry about the T-anchor breaking off in my hand. (If that had happened, I would have been majorly ____ed).

I felt a little anxiety drilling that first hole but... once that was over I was like "Let's get this done".

It will be nice to be able to make trips to Trader Joes and not worry about bags with bottles of wine sliding around and crashing into each other.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just 'sized up' the drill bit by holding a few up to the t-anchor. Only took a few minutes to install and it does the job.

The bumber cover is another story... (it's crap).
Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want a bumper protector, this is the one to get. Mine just came in the mail today, and I'm putting it on tomorrow. It's made out of molded plastic/rubber, looks and feels like very high quality to me. It even has a lip to it to so it covers the curve on the bumper. I'll post more pics after it's installed.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats wrong with the bumper protector? It seems like it should do what it claims to.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's some pics of the net installed..

Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Looks good, clean install.

Like others, I am a little disappointed that the pouch area takes up so much (about a quarter, I guess) of the useable "net" area. My primary use will be grocery bags, and as it stands I can only fit about three bags in the net.