Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

My new audio setup (sneak peak)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My new audio setup (sneak peak)

I'm getting the materials to build the sub box tonight. I'm ordering everything else on Monday, should get it by Friday.

-"rockthebeef designed" sub box
-10" Pioneer 800w Slim sub
-Pioneer TS-D components in the front
-Pioneer TS-D coax in the back
-Alpine MRP-F300 4ch amp

I already have my AVIC-D3 setup with my custom Zune setup.

Everything should be done by Friday. Ill post pics after install.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you will love the avid-d3. it's probably the best thing i put in my car so far
Old 05-18-2008, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phatnblazinrida
you will love the avid-d3. it's probably the best thing i put in my car so far
I've actually had my D3 since I got my car in June.

It's gotten me out of a lot of jams lol.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:33 PM

have to let me know how that sub sounds. i want a slim sub, and am going to make a custom fiberglass enclosure for it.

none of my friends have slim subs, and i have always wondered if they have a major sound difference... pros/cons to them versus regular subs.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll let you know.

Also check out rockthebeef's thread 'underseat sub version 2.0'

There's a few people on there that have the slim sub too. It's obviously not going to get you the big booming sound of a full sub but it's good for people who need the full space of the trunk.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:06 PM

i just want a sub to add the needed bass. i do not want that "16 year old kid with 4-15's in his trunk; bass" i want it to sound clean.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha it's pretty neat to see my design being used! Xbean, consider the actual air being displaced by the sub also. I think the 10" slim pioneer subs move less air than a better 8" like the eD 9kv.2 or Image Dymanics ID8. What I'm trying to say is figure out the air that gets 'moved' after one stroke of the woofer. The 8" subs might have smaller cone areas but they have much more Xmax than the 10" slim pioneer does. I would believe this translates to higher SPL, or plainly just 'more bass'. But I see that you're going for an all Pioneer setup and that's cool too.

Maybe there's more to it than that so if anyone can chime in that would be helpful. Can't wait to see pics!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
Haha it's pretty neat to see my design being used! Xbean, consider the actual air being displaced by the sub also. I think the 10" slim pioneer subs move less air than a better 8" like the eD 9kv.2 or Image Dymanics ID8. What I'm trying to say is figure out the air that gets 'moved' after one stroke of the woofer. The 8" subs might have smaller cone areas but they have much more Xmax than the 10" slim pioneer does. I would believe this translates to higher SPL, or plainly just 'more bass'. But I see that you're going for an all Pioneer setup and that's cool too.

Maybe there's more to it than that so if anyone can chime in that would be helpful. Can't wait to see pics!
I designed everything on SolidWorks and it looks fine...I guess we will see when it's installed.

Btw, thanks for the design. This is the perfect solution for anyone who needs their trunk space.

Kudos...
Old 05-19-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how did you interface your zune with the d3? i had the dock installed in my mazda3 where the ash tray was.. i cut out the lid so the dock would slide into it enough to where you couldn't see the power and a/v jacks plugged into the back.. then i just used the remote to control it and i would use the d3 to see the menus and songs and all from the zune.. in the scion i don't knwo where to put that dock.. so i just have the charging cable & jack cable plugged into the zune and have it sitting in my cup holder running to my jvc tv
Old 05-19-2008, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I mounted the dock under the smaller cupholder and wired the IR sensor in the blank by the shifter.

Pretty much like the same thing you did in your Mazda 3. There's a lot of room under the cupholders.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet...Clerks 2

Nice install on the Zune too
Old 05-19-2008, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice.. so you just got an IR extender? put it over the front of the zune dock.. then mounted the eye there.. i think i'm going to do that.. i have a PAC SWI-X.. when i had it in the mazda.. i had the volume up and down, mute, source, for the avic-d3 controls.. then track forward and back for the zune.. so once i got into an album or playlist.. i didn't have to touch the zune or the remote.. just hit forward or back on my steering wheel buttons
Old 05-19-2008, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's awesome. I didn't go that far, just the controls for the D3, volume, source, next track. But it's cool you got it to work with the Zune.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 AM

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason the Pioneer shallow mounts are a more popular choice that the ED SQ10 shallows? If i can come into some extra money i am seriously considering picking up some of them just to give them a whirl. For now, because of finances, and people discouraging me from yanking my spare tire, i am going to put my ED 13oV2 into a 1cu ft downfiring enclosure figuring that i can keep the spare, run the sub i want, and still be able to use the cargo space since i can just stack things on top of the box if need be without worrying about tearing up my speaker
Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went with Pioneer because I really want to keep everything Pioneer (except the amp because I guess their amps suck). I guess it's just a pet peeve or something. Secondly, I have a hookup at BestBuy and got the sub half off...
Old 05-19-2008, 05:18 AM

Actually im hearing good things about the new pioneer amps, but im happy with my nine.5 so i probably wont ever find out if their amps are good or not. Cost effective is always a great reason to buy, get what you want and keep the wallet happy, only reason i have most of the gear that i do is because i was able to recycly my other gear to buy it lol
Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess it's just personal prefrence on what you like. I'm going to order everything on Friday (payday) and have it in a couple of days. I already have all the MDF setup for cutting too. I'm really excited.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:46 AM

Haha it's pretty neat to see my design being used!
Just wanted to inject my thanks here too. Built my box from your design this weekend, and ordered the 8" Pioneer shallow mount sub and a Pioneer GM-3300T amp (plus a wiring kit) from Amazon yesterday.

Not perfect, but carpet goes a long way in making it look pretty. (No, there's not a hole for the sub yet. )
Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JMS5000
Haha it's pretty neat to see my design being used!
Just wanted to inject my thanks here too. Built my box from your design this weekend, and ordered the 8" Pioneer shallow mount sub and a Pioneer GM-3300T amp (plus a wiring kit) from Amazon yesterday.

Not perfect, but carpet goes a long way in making it look pretty. (No, there's not a hole for the sub yet. )
That's awesome! Let us know how the Pioneer sub sounds in that box. That's something that I wanted to try but never got a chance to do. I always felt the Pioneer would perform better in a larger box than I had for it at the time.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cute pink box...

lol looks good. ill post mine when built.

Quick Reply: My new audio setup (sneak peak)