Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

headrest dvd units

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default headrest dvd units

Does anyone have the headrest dvd units installed and how do you like them? did you buy them from the factory or from somewhere else?

God bless
John
Old 05-21-2008, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the "Scion" headrests because my fiance liked how they said "Scion" on them. I've had my car for about 6 months and one of them is in the process of getting replaced right now because DVDs would always get stuck in it. My main gripe against them is the fact that I there are no inputs or outputs in the LCD headrests, so I cannot pipe out video from my front Pioneer Avic D3. This is a very BIG deal and sucks! There is one guy here that was able to pin out the harness so he could play video from his aftermarket front deck to the stock Scion rears, but he's also the ONLY one and won't respond to any IMs or replies I've sent him.

IMO, do NOT get the stock LCDs. They are not worth the headache....
Old 05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you think thats only an issue with the aftermarket front decks? IE I just installed a Scion nav unit (with DVD ) yesterday so would that put video to the back?
If not does each headrest unit have its own separate dvd player in it? That might be down my alley for the pasengers to watch things separate?

God bless
John
Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to keep asking questions but do you have any suggestions for aftermarket units that allow all the stuff you mentioned?

God bless
John
Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Revrent
Do you think thats only an issue with the aftermarket front decks? IE I just installed a Scion nav unit (with DVD ) yesterday so would that put video to the back?
If not does each headrest unit have its own separate dvd player in it? That might be down my alley for the pasengers to watch things separate?

God bless
John
That's the only issue I can complain about. I think LVbitwiz has a stock nav and was able to output video to the back his pair of aftermarket headrest LCDs. The price difference may also be an issue. I think my LCDs were $1,600 from the factory, but it's easily a few hundred dollars cheaper if you go with another brand. Also, you can set up an aftermarket LCD headrest to behave independently from the front as well as from each other in the back. If you go with the stock LCDs, you just can't have all 3 play the same thing...
Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to keep asking questions but do you have any suggestions for aftermarket units that allow all the stuff you mentioned?

God bless
John
Hey, no problem John. Sorry, but I'm not an expert on the video stuff. All I know is that my daughter loves the LCDs in the back and is a really nice option. The stock LCDs have built in DVD players within them and the aftermarket ones come in many different flavors that have DVD players in them and ones that need an external source. There are also the overhanging ones from the roof that are really cheap, but may block your view from the rear when it's hanging down... I wish my experience has helped you so far...
Old 05-21-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Absolutely has helped. I have a ton more questions now but have some answers at least.

I was lucky on the nav unit, I got it for 1000 new in box here on the forum and had it installed yesterday for 80. So I am hoping to make a good deal on the DVD headrest units also. So much to do so little time.

God bless
John
Old 05-21-2008, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by D_Unit

God bless
John
That's the only issue I can complain about. I think LVbitwiz has a stock nav and was able to output video to the back his pair of aftermarket headrest LCDs. The price difference may also be an issue. I think my LCDs were $1,600 from the factory, but it's easily a few hundred dollars cheaper if you go with another brand. Also, you can set up an aftermarket LCD headrest to behave independently from the front as well as from each other in the back. If you go with the stock LCDs, you just can't have all 3 play the same thing...
Ya, I went with aftermarket and custom installed em into the stock headrests. 200 bucks plus about 3 hours of my time. Each has two inputs. so either backseat gets the ps/2 or the dvd from the nav. damn handy on road trips
Old 05-23-2008, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lvbitwiz
Originally Posted by D_Unit

God bless
John
Ya, I went with aftermarket and custom installed em into the stock headrests. 200 bucks plus about 3 hours of my time. Each has two inputs. so either backseat gets the ps/2 or the dvd from the nav. damn handy on road trips
and you could play dvd off of the ps2 if you wanted and control it with the remotes. how cool is that.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I hav the Scion Nav and Headrest monitors and now have to go back to the dealer cause it can't read the M2 monitor and that the one the sould comes off of. And the fact that you cant run the video to the front from the headrests or to the back from the deck. kind of f*$ked for me cause at shows I have to have at least two dvd's running and I can't switch inbetween them. The monitor look pretty thou.