Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Easy aftermarket head unit install

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:51 PM

Default Easy aftermarket head unit install

Hi everyone.

Wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. I just ordered a 2009 xB from my dealer, and I hope to go pick it up later today. They didn't have the color I wanted so they had to find it.

I talked myself out of getting the factory GPS unit and after reading what people have said about what you can/cannot do, i'm glad I did. But now i'm also rethinking getting the premium head unit. Did I just waste 400 bucks?

I now want to just take the stock unit and replace it down the line. Here is the question though. What would be the easiest radio to install? I want it to have everything (bluetooth, nice sound, gps, ipod integration) and also retain the functionality of things like the steering wheel controls and such.

I am not a car guy and I'm looking for one that I can basically install in a couple hours or less without getting it custom installed.

Thanks guys. I don't wanna spend 700 bucks on a unit to find out it either won't fit, or I have to get someone else to do it.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Basic headunits are all the same, for the most part. Pull the old one out, wire the harness up to the new radio, plug it in, and bam, you're done. I'm not familiar with whats needed to install GPS and Bluetooth, but I'm sure GPS require locating the antenna somewhere. The trickiest part is going to be the steering wheel integration. You need a unit made by PAC which will allow you, once programmed, to keep the steering wheel controls. As far as iPod integration goes, the new HU will probably have a cable coming out of the back that you can plug an USB cable into, or perhaps a jack on the front. Either way, you can dangle the cable out the back, or perhaps fab up a mount for it using an OEM switch plate and replacing the standard iPod jack. It shouldn't be too much trouble, if you've got a weekend and some patience.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ like he said. they are pretty simple to install. nav systems just require one or two more wires to connect but, again, very simple. when i installed my D3 i did it in my school parking lot in between classes
Old 06-20-2008, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I suppose if I want something that will do more than just look flashy (bluetooth, gps), I will need to have someone else put it in.

I was looking at that new pioneer unit, model escapes me at the moment but it had everything I was looking for.

Where would you recommend I bring it to have it done? Is that something best buy can do , or do I have to buy it from them (i dont think they carry it).
Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you're feeling ballzy go all out and throw in a PC. Comes with Bluetooth, WiFi and GPS can go in via USB. No iPod needed with an 80 Gb in dash hard drive.

Shameless plug here:
New Mac mini carputer setup