Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

8" mids in front doors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 8" mids in front doors?

Has anyone actually done this? I have a set I would like to install....

cutout diameter is 7.3 inches

mounting depth is 3.7 inches

I am hoping it would be a simple install

I looked through a number of threads , but couldn't find anyone who has actually done it
Old 08-08-2008, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 8" mids in front doors?

Originally Posted by XBFred
Has anyone actually done this? I have a set I would like to install....

cutout diameter is 7.3 inches

mounting depth is 3.7 inches

I am hoping it would be a simple install

I looked through a number of threads , but couldn't find anyone who has actually done it

lookey here....
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225789

hey Fred... werent you supposed to make you & I aset of custom grills a while back?? what happened to ya????
jh
Old 08-08-2008, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the link...looks like I will do fine with a 3/4 inch baffle

custom grills??? refresh my memory..... may have been, but I get sidetracked
Old 08-10-2008, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you using the 8" in a 2 way or 3 way setup? If you're gonna do a 3 way, what 8" are you going to use?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it will be in a 2-way- for now I will be using a Seas L22rnx/p
and possibly down the road when they come out with it an Image Dynamics XS8 -
the 8" will play up to about 1Khz and mated with a set of Image Dynamics Ultra Horns
Old 08-10-2008, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it will be in a 2-way- for now I will be using a Seas L22rnx/p
and possibly down the road when they come out with it an Image Dynamics XS8 -
the 8" will play up to about 1Khz and mated with a set of Image Dynamics Ultra Horns
Seems like I was doubting you in my head the whole time thinking you wouldn't find a tweeter go that low or your 8 go that high... BUT, once you said horns, I crawled back into my cave... I've never heard horns in person before, but they are intriguing. How much power to the 8s? How much power to the horns? I know the horns require very little power to get very very loud and you need a lot of power for the 8s to keep up. Very interesting setup... Keep us posted.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

If you're going to do that, I'd recommend going active. Run a 4 channel amp to your front stage. Use either the front or rear channels for the horns, then the other set for the midbass 8's. That way you can set your gains conservatively for the horns to help prevent damage!

Had to throw in my $0.02...
Old 08-10-2008, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks..... they will be run active......would cost way too much to get a passive crossover designed for these....much easier to go active.

at this point the plan is to run some Zapco's
DC360.4 - bridged to midbass
DC500.1 - to sub
and for the horns I have another DC360.4.... will probably use 2 channels for the horns, and maybe leave the other 2 channels for future use
Old 08-10-2008, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd like to see some pics when ur done lol.

Anyone reccomend a nice amp+speaker combo to replace the stock 6 1/2's and 5 3/4"

I can't hear any vocal over my subs
Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will post pics when it is done.

as far as speakers and stuff there are lots of great stuff out there, just depends o your budget and how you want to install.

for s simple passive set the Pioneer PRS720's have received great reviews.... as well as a number of others and for amps choose something well designed..... I think the JBL or infinity reference are a great deal, but they are huge.

I love the DLS set I am running, but they can get expensive...... I am going to be selling mine along with my custom kick panels and a pillars

Originally Posted by Zsanz
I'd like to see some pics when ur done lol.

Anyone reccomend a nice amp+speaker combo to replace the stock 6 1/2's and 5 3/4"

I can't hear any vocal over my subs
Old 08-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Yeah I did mine a while back. Someone posted the link to it already...

I got one of the guys that is on here every now and then to get in and listen to it this weekend. I spent hours with a RTA on mine. Sounds awesome in there. I have the second set for the rear doors. Just have not had time to do them yet.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks..... they will be run active......would cost way too much to get a passive crossover designed for these....much easier to go active.

DC500.1 - to sub
and for the horns I have another DC360.4.... will probably use 2 channels for the horns, and maybe leave the other 2 channels for future use
That is some serious equipment! You have a pretty nice ratio between your Seas mids and horns. Who is going to do the install? SimplicityinSound again, or are you going DIY?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep, looks good..... would love to hear it.... bet it sounds nice..... I used your post to make sure mine would fit and then make sure I had enough room for the baffles I was having made..... sent it to my guy who makes them and he looked over to be sure.

once I get them I will be isntalling...thanks for posting

Originally Posted by NoLimitzInd

I got one of the guys that is on here every now and then to get in and listen to it this weekend. I spent hours with a RTA on mine. Sounds awesome in there. I have the second set for the rear doors. Just have not had time to do them yet.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be going diy on this one..... I am a little worried about the horns since I have never done them...but I will give it a shot.

had a guy make the baffles for the mids - http://community-2.webtv.net/MarvsPlace/MarvsPlace/

he is an awesome guy who does great work.

my system has changed since the original install- I put my spare back in and went to one sub.

amps are a couple weeks out, but should fit my amp rack fine.

If Bing were closer and I was willing to wait I would probably have him do it again.....he does great work and I always recommend him

Originally Posted by D_Unit

DC500.1 - to sub
That is some serious equipment! You have a pretty nice ratio between your Seas mids and horns. Who is going to do the install? SimplicityinSound again, or are you going DIY?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good ol' Marv. I've been over to his house a few times, but it's been a very long time since the last time. Very good guy and an even better cabinet maker.

Using the 8s and horns seems so simple, but for some reason, my mind tells me I'm gonna run into trouble somewhere. For me, it would probably be the EQ'ing part since I suck at that. Again, it seems so simple, but I know that's it's more ignorance on my part. Definitely good luck... I'd like to see this project go evolve so keep us up to date.

I will be going diy on this one..... I am a little worried about the horns since I have never done them...but I will give it a shot.

had a guy make the baffles for the mids - http://community-2.webtv.net/MarvsPlace/MarvsPlace/

he is an awesome guy who does great work.

my system has changed since the original install- I put my spare back in and went to one sub.

amps are a couple weeks out, but should fit my amp rack fine.

If Bing were closer and I was willing to wait I would probably have him do it again.....he does great work and I always recommend him

Originally Posted by D_Unit

DC500.1 - to sub
Old 08-17-2008, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The ID full size horns should fit, the mini horns for sure, the USD horns are about an inch to deep and stick out(which is why I say the ID full size should fit since they are an inch shorter in depth). Ive got the mini's and the USD's but am going to get the full size ID's for this install myself.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am actually going to go with the mini bodies....after looking at placement and angles the mini's seemed like they would be better to avoid rain bowing off the gearshift console

I started to install my 8's and they are huge, plus I have a ton of deadener on there and cutting would be a pain, so I am going to find some nice 6.5's that will take a ton of power. Looking for some ID x65's right now
Old 08-18-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Is that you I see over on DIYMA?

I hear lots of good things about those x65's, I know u don't want to cut but 8's won't shake the doors as much.

As far as rainbowing, I was wondering about that too since the center console sticks way out there so I experimented with my USD's which are full bodies in the car playing down to 600hz and there wasn't any rainbowing whatsoever, everything was perfectly centered and seemed to extend out past the physical boundaries of the car.....it was SO nice. But once matched up with door mounted mids, may ruin the illusion I'm afraid, unfortunately the final install will tell.
Let me know how the mini horns work for you, I could always use the ones I have but really want to use the exteded range of the full bodies.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NoLimitzInd

speaking as that guy, it sounds amazing! With OR without the subs on. The sound quality is just superb