Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Aftermarket nav head unit questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:43 AM

Default Aftermarket nav head unit questions

I plan on purchasing an '09 xB in the near future and will need a navigation system. After doing some research here I've decided it makes the most sense to get the base audio system and replace it with an aftermarket product since it will be cheaper and have more functionality. I have no experience in modifying an existing head unit and I didn't find the answers to these questions on the boards, so here goes:

- Will I have to 'hack' an aftermarket unit similar to the SNS hack in order to make it functional while driving?
- My understanding is that head units are a standard size, so any kind should fit. Is this correct?
- Are all units compatible with the steering wheel functions? Can they all be connected to the headlights so they will automatically dim?
- Is there any way to retain the functionality of the ipod input jack with a new head system or will the input be unusable?
- How easy is it to install myself? Will I need any special tools? Will the unit come with step by step instructions?
- Ultimately, I want to have a GPS, ipod control, steering wheel functionality, and bluetooth. Does anyone know if there are any interesting head units coming out in the near future that I should consider?
- By installing this will I void the all warranties (basic, drivetrain, and rust)? Or does it only affect the basic warranty?

Thanks in advance and if any questions have already been answered I apologize.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:37 AM

Default Nav System

My son just bought an 09 xB with the standard radio. He is having the new Pioneer 700 system put in next week. It fits perfectly where the standard Pioneer fits, has bluetooth, Ipod input, and you can use your steering wheel controls. Remember, you are replacing a Pioneer with a Pioneer.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:54 AM
SL Member

crutchfield.com does a pretty good job of documenting their in-dash nav systems. if a nav system supports steering controls (a lot do, even if it involves an adapter), then crutchfield will tell you that it does.

installing a nav system will not void any warranty if the dealer cannot prove that whatever problem you're having is a direct result of the nav system.

most the time you will need to hack the nav system to use all functionalities while driving. this usually just involves grounding the red parking brake wire.

installing can be difficult, but they all come with instructions. crutchfield provides excellent support for people having trouble/questions.

not all nav systems are the same size. some are single din, most are double din. make sure you get a double din.

most nav systems nowadays have ipod controls, and bluetooth. check out crutchfield.com. (i swear i'm not sponsored by crutchfield)
Old 08-09-2008, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Nav System

Originally Posted by avalon
My son just bought an 09 xB with the standard radio. He is having the new Pioneer 700 system put in next week. It fits perfectly where the standard Pioneer fits, has bluetooth, Ipod input, and you can use your steering wheel controls. Remember, you are replacing a Pioneer with a Pioneer.
you still need a mounting kit for the pioneer 700. Also you need a steering wheel controller from PAC or others. It does not matter that you are replacing pioneer with pioneer. It's still a factory head unit. You will still need to get more parts to make any after market work..... Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the good news is that you can do everything you want to do and it's easy. the bad news is you will have to "hack" to get it to work, but even then, it's not a big deal. get a pioneer avic d3, a pac unit, the bluetooth and ipod options, and you'll be good to go for way less than the factory nav and you'll get so much for the money. you can find them for dirt cheap on ebay.