Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

What amp is great

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default What amp is great

Okay I'm no sound whiz so i need your help I have a kenwood excelon dnx8120 hu and I have 3 sets of boston acoustics spz60 components that run 150 rms also I have two jl audio 12w7 in factory spec ported box now my question is I just spent all this money on these speakers and i donot want to mess anything up by buying an amp that can't pump out the right power. I need suggestions on what brand or setup I was thinking in the line 3 amps that are 300/2 for the highs and 2 amps that 1000/1 for the subs. pls correct me if I 'm going at this all wrong. Btw the whole car is dynamatted and is wired thanks to my current setup.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What amp is great

Originally Posted by AWOL
Okay I'm no sound whiz so i need your help I have a kenwood excelon dnx8120 hu and I have 3 sets of boston acoustics spz60 components that run 150 rms also I have two jl audio 12w7 in factory spec ported box now my question is I just spent all this money on these speakers and i donot want to mess anything up by buying an amp that can't pump out the right power. I need suggestions on what brand or setup I was thinking in the line 3 amps that are 300/2 for the highs and 2 amps that 1000/1 for the subs. pls correct me if I 'm going at this all wrong. Btw the whole car is dynamatted and is wired thanks to my current setup.
Man, that is some serious gear you bought for the XB! I am just wondering why you bought 3 sets of components though? Did you really mean 2 sets for the front and rear? For that particular setup I would buy:

JL Audio 450/4 - To run front and rear components using the passive crossovers
JL Audio 1000/1 - One for each subwoofer

That is going to be some serious SPL type of system! Who is going to install all of this? Where are you going to place the amps?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: What amp is great

Originally Posted by D_Unit
Originally Posted by AWOL
Man, that is some serious gear you bought for the XB! I am just wondering why you bought 3 sets of components though? Did you really mean 2 sets for the front and rear? For that particular setup I would buy:

JL Audio 450/4 - To run front and rear components using the passive crossovers
JL Audio 1000/1 - One for each subwoofer

That is going to be some serious SPL type of system! Who is going to install all of this? Where are you going to place the amps?
Yeah you read right it was three I'm waiting for the jdm panels for the rear and am going to customize it to fit. It should work cause the right panel has space for an 8" woofer and tweeter and the left has space for a tweeter so i'm probably going to have to fabricate it to match each other. I figured since the subs are gonna be crazy loud i didn't want the highs to suffer so I figured three would balance it out
Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My buddy is going to make me a custom wood enclosure (haven't decided if I want it match my interior and wrap it in leather or lay some fiberglass over it) for a hdtv, all the amps and the subs when the other parts of the car is finished. Til I'll just put them in the box that my buddy made to spec and hide the amps under my seats.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that set up is going to be ridiculous. congrats!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

If you want to keep with the entire JL stuff then go with the overpriced JL amplifiers. If you want some amplifiers that are equally good (if not better) then look to other brands. One of JL's nice factors is the fact that you can use different impedence drivers with the same amount of output.
I have a Sundown SAZ-3000D amplfier in my xB and I love it. Best amplifier I've ever owned. Makes gobs of power and extremely effecient. www.sundownaudio.com
They also make an excellent SQ 4 channel amplifier. It has tons of cross over options and you can even use it active.

As far as building an enclosure for your dub7's, I'd suggest the knowledge of Peter W. Kulicki. I've purchased 3 blueprints from him, each taylored to my subwoofer and my vehicle, and I've yet to be disappointed. www.pwkdesigns.com and www.pwkdesigns.com/forum Building an enclosure to the manufacturer's specs is okay, but it's not optimal. Using the same enclosure/driver/amplifier, the response will be vastly different between our xB's to an Excursion. Different vehicles have different acoustic characteristics.

And I'd recommend fabricating your own C pillar speaker enclosures instead of opting for the Rumion unit. But that's just me.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Clean_XB
here we go again.......
why here we go again. what's up?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

yo jay hit me up ill take you to the spot trust me call me tommorow
Old 09-05-2008, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

yo jay hit me up ill take you to the spot trust me call me tomorrow
Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

be a baller and get ARC audio or USAamps
Old 09-06-2008, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

For the kind of power that your trying to run and your electrical system, those JL Slash amps will be a perfect match. They have a highly regulated power supply that will allow them to still output full power even when your charging voltage is low, this means weather your car is running or not the wattage from the amps stays the same. This is not the same thing as the amp putting out the same wattage from 2-4 ohms.

I wouldn't recommend the third set of components, two sets are plenty.....but hey, to each his own I guess.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

woah