Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...
View Poll Results: Is anyone else having this problem?
Yes
0%
No
100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Radio stays on Keyless won't work

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:45 PM

Default Radio stays on Keyless won't work

First off I know that I am new here but I have enjoyed reading posts even before I purchased my xB. It was because of all of you that I decided against the NAV unit. I am very happy with that choice because I am going to get a Kenwood unit with NAV, Bluetooth, and a backup cam for less that I would have paid for the stock unit. Plus Kenwood uses Garming maps. Which is a plus since Garmin's world headquarters are a block from my house.

So down to it. I know there have been a couple posts about this before but they were all older and there was never a post about the resolve to the problem.

Two Fridays ago I purchased 2 '09 xBs. One for me and one for my wife (pics to come). After about 3 days my radio started staying on when I shut the car off. Not thinking much of it and thinking it was made to this I ignored it. Over the course of a few days I played with it and decided its not made to do that. The radio will stay on for about 5 seconds no matter what you do. Leave the key in, take it out, open the door, shut the door, stand on your head,..... always stays on for 5 seconds.

Next I noticed that the keyless entry would not work for about 10 seconds after the radio shut off. Neither the lock nor the unlock works. But, this is may not be related to the radio since, even if the radio is shut off, the keyless will not work for the first 15 seconds after the car is shut off.

I know this is not stock and is a problem. A few of the posters have said its stock but its not. I talked to several 2nd Gen xB owners and mine is the only one that does this. Also, I took it in and the dealer seemed perplexed. Even the tech tried hooking up to it and searching for a delayed shut off timer and found no such application programmed into the xB.

I would like to know:

Is anyone else having the same problem with the radio and/or keyless?
If yes, have you taken it to the dealer?
If yes, what did they do to fix it ?
The tech I spoke with asked if anyone had taken it in and had any of there tech's opened a ticket with the Scion engineers in Cali? Has anyone?
If your xB is having this problem what are the details of your car. Year, transmission, color, miles, when did it start, is it constant or intermittent, anything you can tell me.

I think this is one of those problems that will only get solved if everyone works together. I have a pretty good service department so far. They have been helpful and seemed intrigued with the problem. I know some posters have said that their dealer told them it was meant to do that, as did mine at first, but I don't beleive that's the case. As I told my dealer "Just because no one knows how to fix it, doesn't mean that it's not a problem." Remember these guys get paid by Scion the amount that Scion estimates it will take to fix the problem. Which means If Scion doesn't know how to fix the problem, they also don't know how much to pay the dealer and the dealer may end up getting hung out to dry for all their hard work. That's why they can be resistant to fix problems that someone has not already diagnosed.

Remember if we all stick together one of us is bound to have a break through and then all of us will be able to get this problem fixed.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

deff bring it into toyota.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 PM

Turns out it was partly my fault. I took it into Superior Scion in OP and they were outstanding in dealing with the problem. Even though its not really a warranty issue they didn't charge me.

I had a DC/AC converter plugged into the power port and when I shut the car off it was dischargeing through the system keeping power to the radio. Which makes it my fault I guess.

Funny thing is I have had this converter in at least 10 other cars and never had a problem. Any way for any of you who may end up with this same problem try and unplug whatever is in the power port.