Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

correct wiring harness and dash kit for double din?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default correct wiring harness and dash kit for double din?

hey guys, anyone know where i can find a wiring harness to install an aftermarket deck? i have the base stereo. i notice it has 4 harnesses behind the deck, but the one from best buy has only 2 sets. i wish to install a JVC double din DVD deck.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Default Re: correct wiring harness?

Originally Posted by cTek
hey guys, anyone know where i can find a wiring harness to install an aftermarket deck? i have the base stereo. i notice it has 4 harnesses behind the deck, but the one from best buy has only 2 sets. i wish to install a JVC double din DVD deck.

I just got my Harness from crutchfield along with my double Din Fit kit for my Avic F-900BT and the Harness was only 2-Plugs as well..... Will give you an upsate once installed on saturday....... Also got the PAC adapter fot the wheel controls.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i changed the subject to reflect my next question.. i have a JVC double din 7" touch screen. would i need some sort of mounting dash kit to put my deck in place of my stock?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i changed the subject to reflect my next question.. i have a JVC double din 7" touch screen. would i need some sort of mounting dash kit to put my deck in place of my stock?

This is the one i got For my Double Din Pioneer Avic F900-BT

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...px?i=120958202
Old 10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you know if you NEED this piece? i was thinkin if there were brackets for the stock deck, that you could just transfer them to the new double din?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:34 AM

I beleive that you do need the brackets. The link to crutchfield did not work on my computer but I just got done installing a kenwood DNX8120 that is Double Din and I needed the brackets.

The problem is that the Scion radio is actually an inch wider than a DDIN radio so you need fillers on the sides. I am not sure with your specific radio but since DDIN is a standard size I am going to assume that you will need the brackets too. The stock brackets should mount right up to your radio but you will have a big gap on the sides without the aftermarket brackets.

Also you may already know this but you only need two harnesses. The third and is for the steering wheel control that you will have to splice into for the PAC controler ( I am unaware of any harness made for this part) and the forth is the ipod and AUX connector (again I don't beleive anyone makes an adapter harness for this.)

Good luck with your install. My took awhile but thats because I had a Bluetooth mic and backup cam, oh and I am a little bit of a perfectionist.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you look up the scion on crutchfield, they sell the PAC SWI-X steering wheel radio control interface harness for our cars.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...27SWIX&tp=3405

as far as the stock ipod/aux jacks.. it states in the manual that it will only work with scion stock decks. anyone out there daring enough to create a harness that will work? lol..
Old 10-03-2008, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

if you look up the scion on crutchfield, they sell the PAC SWI-X steering wheel radio control interface harness for our cars.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...27SWIX&tp=3405

as far as the stock ipod/aux jacks.. it states in the manual that it will only work with scion stock decks. anyone out there daring enough to create a harness that will work? lol..

I have that part, it's going to be installed tomorrow with my Avic F900.BT( cant wait)
Old 10-03-2008, 09:06 PM

cTek,

Crutchfield does sell the PAC interface but it will not plug directly into the harness. You will have to splice into the factory side, before the harness, to get to the wires. I guess you could jam the wires into the factory harness but I am not sure that they would stay there .

As far as the iPod and AUX jack I have dismantled the entire console to get to them. I pulled them out, took them apart, and found that the AUX jack has six wires connected to the harness. I have not looked up AUX jack wiring but I guess you should be able to wire that back into a normal AUX plug and then plug it into a AUX jack on the aftermarket radio.

With the iPod I am sure that you could splice the wires into a USB and just plug the usb into a aftermarket radio but that is above my level of knowledge. I do know the harness looks extactly the same behind the plug as it does on the iPod side. The iPod outlet on the console is a mirror image on the back side. I had to be careful when I put it back together because it is hard to tell one side from the other.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

kckid, thanks for all your help. since you seem to have a knack for dismantling things, maybe you could pioneer a harness for the xB2 owners! lol. well it looks like ill be ordering those parts from crutchfield. would you know offhand how many wires i need to splice into the factory harness for the PAC adapter? do you have any pics of your journey into the harnesses? lol. thanks again!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM

I did shoot some pics but after looking through them there really aren't any of that part of the install. I used pinch style t connectors to tap into the stock harness. The PAC controller should come with dirctions but heres what I did:

Connect the wire behind Pin 6 (black i think) to a/the ground wire. This is seperate from the ground wire that is connected to the box. The controller has its own power and ground but this is to ground the factory harness.

Connect the white wire to the wire behind Pin 7. On mine it was white also.

Connect the wire behind Pin 8 (red i think) to one end of a 150 resistor and the other to the white wire that you just connected. The instructions were kind of foggy on this part. I just made a wire with the resistor in the middle and spliced one end to the wire behind Pin 8 and then spliced the other end into the white wire that had already been spliced into the stock white wire. Its one of the things that never sounds right when you write it.

Then take a moment to pray that the programming works and then follow the steps carefully to program it. Mine did the first try but you can tell its one of those things that may not go well and could take hours of frustration if your not careful.

Good luck I hope everything goes well for you. Keep in mind this may not be the way things are for your car of radio just the way they are for mine. In short don't blame me if it don't work.

Also there was a blue/green wire that I had to connect on mine but some of the radios have a AUX plug that just plugs in. I had a Kenwood and I think you said you had Pioneer so it may be different. Installing it your self is a tough deal but at least you know its getting done right. Thumbs up for the effort and good luck to you.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm having trouble with the PAC controller. Essentially, you ground the wire from Pin 6. Do I remove it from harness and connect it to the radio's ground or can I just tap it and connect it to the radio's ground? For Pin 7, I can tap that and connect it to the white one wire from the controller?

I'm really confused with the Pin 8 and the resistor's installation. Seems complicated.

Does your light for the steering wheel control light up?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 PM

Schmohey,

Pin 6 ground, Either way. I left it in the harness and tapped it so that I can always cut the tap and go back to stock.

Pin 7 is straight up, tap it and connect to the white

Pin 8 is hard to explain easy to do. I made a wire with the resistor spliced into the middle kind of like this. ---------------resistor-----------------. I used a soldering iron and soldered it into the splice then heat wrapped it. I then spliced one end into the Pin 8 wire and the other into the white wire from the controller.

I am not sure if the light works, I never looked. I hope it still does. I guess its one of those things you don't pay attention since your so happy everything else worked.

I love to help but last time I posted I got some sort of virus and had to shut down. Scion life kept opening new pages and wouldn't stop till I broke the connection. I like the site but if it happens again I probably won't post much for a while till they get it fixed.

Wish me luck.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:16 AM

Haven't had any more virus problems so I thought I would update.

took my wifes car out tonight and I remembered to check. The light on the steering wheel still works.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks kckid. I installed it and it worked perfectly! There is some lag to the system but I'll live with it.

My little white plug with 20 pins is filled with red taps, lol.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:26 AM

Mine had the lag too but I figured I was just happy it worked.

I'm with ya on the red tabs they are a little annoying.