Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

New Owner Questions and xB Rough Idle *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:28 PM

Default New Owner Questions and xB Rough Idle *HELP*

Thank you for your time.

Make: Scion
Model: xB
Year: 2009
Miles: 2,109
Engine: 4 Cylinder 2.4L

I am very happy with my new scion xB. I came from a 2006 polar white 1st gen xB and now I traded it in and got a 2009 2nd gen xB. There’s little to be concerned about but here's some things(issues) I have noticed that I want to know if anyone else has them and/or if they are issues that need to be addressed. I also have some general questions as well.

1. I just got a letter in the mail from Scion corporate saying 'scion pays for my 5K and 10K vehicle services at the scion service center'. I did not know scions came with included service. Is this correct and if so is it only these 2 checkups that are free?

2. Each morning when I startup the vehicle I notice a engine vibration 'more than reasonable' at idle(especially at startup depressing the brake pedal). Yes..folks, its a gasoline engine...there’s going to be *some* vibration I understand. Coming from a 1st gen xB(smaller engine) and we also own a 2007 tC. I am very familiar with normal engine vibration...and even more familiar with normal scion engine vibration.(now that we got that out of the way).

During initial startup in the morning I depress the brake to pull out of my driveway and at the lights on the way to work. Its a 'cylinder missing' feeling. Not every second, but about every 5-10 seconds from the normal idle vibration a 'bump' throughout the vehicle. As if a sparkplug is not firing. At first I thought it may be the A/C kicking in and out so I tested both with A/C (on/active and on/off((cycling)) and without A/C (off) and it happens either way. Throughout the day this vibration appears to subside a little and get 'less noticeable'(though I can feel it's still there).

During initial startup there's several different engine modes that can be utilized. Even if your not in a *cold* region or if the vehicle is *cold* itself during initial startup almost all newer vehicles enter 'cold air idle mode/rich fuel mixture' in an effort to aid in initial starting and warmup. During this time as well coolant is usually diverted into throttlebody cavities in an effort to raise the throttlebody material temperature. This heatup from the thottlebody aids in proper throttlebody operation during initial startup of the vehicle. Shortly after newer vehicles typically then redirect coolant away from the throttlebody when engine operating temperature is achieved.

I have already researched the 'hood adjusters' posts and confirm this is not my issue.

I have experienced this issue over 3-6 tanks of fuel so I do not believe this is a fuel quality issue.

I have no CELs(check engine lights) or cluster illumination.

I am going to disconnect the battery today and depress the brakes for a few(depressing exhausts almost all standing/stored electricity from vehicle even with battery disconnected). I can presume because of the new vehicle that during break-in that engine MAP and other factors affecting idle have changed. During break-in several engine parameters change due to the initial wear-in of rings, valves and other mechanical components.

I have heard about some engine balancer/harmonic balancer issues due to some poor quality bearings. But I have been unable to locate a TSB(technical service bulletin).

Also contacting a couple local scion service departments they 'have not heard of this issue from other 2009 xBs' yet.

Anyone, thoughts?

3. During normal vehicle operation I depress the accelerator. It appears to have decent torque/power as I cruise along. The moment I let up on the accelerator the vehicle feels like it loses *most* engine torque. As if you took your foot off the gas and engaged the parking brake alittle. This is not a huge problem really...but it gets annoying when you drive(like I do) casual and light on the gas...you approach a downhill...lighten up on the accelerator...and you lose *most* engine torque. Other cars let me lighten up on the gas and they at least keep *some* torque to keep the vehicle 'coasting' forward..albeit, if you depress the accelerator the engine RPM will raise and the transmission will possibly downshift.

I am thinking this may have something to do with the xB's electronic throttle butterfly valve. I have heard the 2nd gens have no throttle cable from the accelerator but rather a potentiometer switch on the accelerator measuring how far the pedal is depressed and then electronically translates that to your throttle body valve which responds accordingly(i.e. 50% accelerator depressed = 50% valve open to let air* in).

I have noticed the transmission being a little 'jerky'/ 'aggressive' when changing from reverse to drive and such. Though, this could be due to higher idle during startup.

* = Air only because our 2.5L motors should be multi-port fuel injection, not throttlebody fuel injection.

I believe this may have also to do with the transmission's CV(constant velocity) system of gearing.

Anyone, thoughts?

4. Seatbelt warning sound, what’s the method for programming this 'off'. I have the method for our tC but is there a document listing all the 'owner programmable' options such as automatic door locks, seat belt warning light, seat belt audible, key FOB programming?

5. Not a huge deal, but I have notice a slight vibration from the front wheels during normal operation. Basically wheel balance issue. And this happens all the time not when depressing brakes. Just feels odd being a new vehicle.

Thanks for your time.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why havent you taken your car in to the dealership yet?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:00 AM

Yes, I called the dealer AND made an appointment with a service tech to check it out. They insisted everything was normal. The biggest issue was the morning cold start issue but I canot leave my vehicle overnight for the service department to start it cold to check this out.

So they logged everything and made notes. That way they cant say 'why didnt you come in earlier before it blew up'..

Anyone...I am surprised by the lack of responses...maybe then my issues are specific to my unit and not a build issue(i.e. 2009 xBs) or build lot issue(i.e. 2000 affected units)
Old 10-10-2008, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 1500 miles on my 2009 and have none of the problems you have listed.

The car has been solid. I once thought I had a door rattle, but it turned out to be my phone charger in the center console compartment.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I dont know what to suggest. Change out the spark plugs and see what happens.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:21 PM
SL Member

I understand your frustration but I don’t think it is the year built….
I have a 09 xb and do not have any of the problems mentioned above.
Your 09 acted like my old 98 Rav4 with the same problem of cold start.
My dealer never solved the problem even after 5 or 6 times with the dealer visits.
I finally sold that thing.
It got so bad it will stall by itself… it seems like there is not enough gas going into the engine. If I held on to the pedal and let it run at 1000 rpm or above, it will be fine. As soon as I let go, it will go dead (when the engine is cold =morning)
Sorry I can’t be more helpful on your question, but here are some answers on your other question:
1. Yes, Scion will provide 5k and 10k oil change and checkup for free.
2. Can’t really help you with that…..
3. it sounds like you have an auto…. Have the dealer check it out and maybe have them re-flash your onboard computer.
4. You should wear your seatbelt all the time…. Anyways, let it ring for about half a minute and it will goes silent.
5. it gotta be your tire balance… although it shouldn’t happen on a new vehicle, have the dealer check it out and rebalance the front tires again…..

Hope these info helps.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New Owner Questions and xB Rough Idle *HELP*

HUMMM

Last edited by Tenfeathers; 11-09-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

E-10 fuel has water in it as well as water that comes with it.

Try some Chevron 97 octane and see if it goes away, mine did