Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How difficult will this be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default How difficult will this be?

I just bought a Kendwood KDC-MP535U, ipod cable, wiring harness and xa/xb dash kit. How hard is it going to be to make this work with steering controls?

Also is it possible to make this work with existing Ipod/Aux jacks in XB2? Anyone know?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you'll need a PAC adapter for the steering wheel controls, and there is no easy way to get your ipod/aux connectors to work with an aftermarket stereo... pretty much near impossible
Old 10-14-2008, 02:42 PM

I will second what AndreyCo says. I don't know of anyone who has been able to splice into the stock iPod harness yet. I just put in a Kenwood Nav system with the iPod cable and it is nothing like the stock iPod harness. You may want to check if the PAC converter is compatable with your radio, if so it should work just fine.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Banned
SL Member

Looks like I have to get the PAC adapter....

Man it seems there should be a way to get the Ipod/Aux jacks to work...what a PITA. I get an ipod cable with it so I can still use that...but I liked having the AUX jack personally cuz I have a shuffle which works perfect for me. My daughter has the nano so she can hook in to the Ipod....but she isn't always with me.

I may just settle for not having steering controls until more $$ frees up next month for the added parts. So now I have to decide if I am going to go ahead and install and then change when I get the PAC or wait until I get the PAC to do it all. Choices choices
Old 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM

I don't see why you can't add in the Pac controller later. You have to splice into one of the harnesses but not one of the ones you will be using now. The only thing you will have to hook up to the two main harnesses is the power and ground to the controller. As long as you leave yourself room it shouldn't be a problem. Kenwood has a blue and brown striped wire that hooks right up to the controller so thats pretty easy to do.

There are a couple of other posts on the PAC Controller that I and other people have contributed to. You might check some of those for a better explanation.

I felt the same way about the iPod/Aux jacks. I even took apart the whole console and tore apart the harnesses to try and find a way. The only way to hook it in is if someone better than I knew how to test all the leads and soilder everything together to make an all new harness. But thats above my head.

Good luck on the install. I love mine. I am sure you will love yours too.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the aux cable would be easy to wire into an aftermarket radio.. the ipod one, however, would take a lot of work... i forget how many pins are in an ipod cable, but it would take a lot of work to meter and write down info from every pin, then splice an aftermarket cable in the other end of it to match the pins on the dock connector
Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your best bet is to just buy some switch block off panels, pop out the old iPod/AUX jacks, and stick the blanks in there. Thats what I did, so people dont wonder how I've got my iPod plugged in when the jack is closed.

I suppose with a little ingenuity you could mount a USB extension cable to the back of the blank plate for your iPod, and wire a 3.5mm jack as well. I was too lazy, I just ran the USB cord from behind the HU, and had the cable come out under the center shifter console. You'll notice theres a ridge on each side of the center hump that you can poke a cable out from under. Unobtrusive and practical. For a more stealth install, you could always just run the cable to the glovebox and leave your iPod in there. I'm considering doing that...
Old 10-16-2008, 03:25 PM

My first thought was to do just that. Get blanks and mount a USB and the iPod cable that I got with my Kenwood. My only problem is that my Kenwood iPod cable is not long enough and to extend it I need 2 AUX jacks and 2 USB extensoins. I didn't feel like spending the money and still just have it hanging out of the hole so I just left it hanging out from under the center shifter prtion. You actually cant really see the USB because of the way the interiors shaped it kinda hides it. The iPod i just connect and set in the cup holder like you would if you had it hooked tothe stock port.

I would like to know where you got the blank plugs though. I wouldn't mind plugging in a couple of those. Maybe one day I will get tired of the cables hanging out from under the dash and decide to fab something up.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The dilemma you're facing right now is exactly the reason I opted to go with the premium scion HU instead of aftermarket. I had a AVIC-D3 that I was going to put in, but when I found out I would have to do a bunch of work to get the steering wheel controls to work, and on top of that I wouldn't be able to use the build in iPod and AUX jacks, i sold the D3 and got the Premium HU on ebay for about $200
Old 10-17-2008, 03:42 PM

Thats not a bad deal. $200 for a premium. It all depends on what you like. I am still using the stock headunit in my car because I can't justify the upgrade yet.

I promised my wife a NAV in her next car and so that is what I did. After hearing about the complaint that people were having with the GUI on the Scion NAV I started looking at aftermarket. I ended up getting a Kenwood DNX8120 with a PAC controller, mounting brackets, harnessess, back-up camera, and bluetooth mic, all for $250 less than the stock unit. Plus the Kenwood has Garmin so I know I will be able to get updates and a good GUI.

The backup camera and bluetooth aren't even an option on the Scion unit.

I do agree with you though on the premium. You deffinitly got a better deal that messing with an aftermarket and PAC controller.

My only complaint is the iPod controls. The joystick is hard to center press and there is no step back option. If you want to go to a different album from the same artist you have to start from the begining. Did they fix that on the premium?