Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I just ordered the TRD knockoff exhaust from Ssuperstore

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I just ordered the TRD knockoff exhaust from Ssuperstore

I saw an xB2 the other day with the TRD exhaust as it was pulling away from the curb. The sound was noticeable, but subtle. It made me want one, but I had also just bought an alarm. I couldn't justify spending $400 on the TRD and the eBay knockoffs are nowhere to be found these days. Apparently ssuperstore.com put one on the market on October 4th for $139. It actually looks suspiciously like the eBay ones that were selling a while back. Shipping was $24 and I was charged CA sales tax - $175 total. We'll see how it goes. Pics and maybe a sound clip to follow in the next week or so. I haven't fired up my camcorder in over a year.

Here's a link to the product:
http://ssuperstore.com/product_info....oducts_id/1071
Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

definately put up a sound clip and pictures of that along with any noticable differences in power, cuz i really want the trd exhaust, but like you said, i cant justify spending that much loot on a bolt on muffler.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not expecting any noticeable power gains at all. I just want a deeper tone. I probably won't post a sound or video clip if I can't capture the sound accurately. I might break out my microphones. I'm not recording any music these days so I might as well dust off the equipment and use it for something. The problem (mainly my laziness) will be taking said equipment outside to the car and stealing my fiance's laptop for a bit. Maybe I'll just try the camcorder first...
Old 10-14-2008, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'mconsidering the TRD Knock-off too because everything else is overpriced as hell (all the axlebacks are over 300....ripoff IMO). I mean, if the TRD Knock-off wasnt available, I'd probably just make my own axleback exhaust.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i totally agree, i was bored today and i almost broke out the jack, power tools, cherry bomb muffler and welder and had a day, but i held off cuz i might just pick up the knock off if i can find one for a good price. cuz im low on cash at the moment.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Here is a Video of the TRD Knock Off Exhaust. On youtube (Not My Car)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_yzWNegBE

Im Running The Tsudo Dual Cat-Back and love it. If i did not get that system i would have def gotten the TRD Knock OFF.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DREWxB08
Here is a Video of the TRD Knock Off Exhaust. On youtube (Not My Car)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_yzWNegBE

Im Running The Tsudo Dual Cat-Back and love it. If i did not get that system i would have def gotten the TRD Knock OFF.
Yeah, I've seen that video. It sounds pretty good. The question is whether or not the exhaust in the video is the eBay one or the ssuperstore one. ...Or if they are the same exact product. All I know is that the one I bought is made by ScionFX, which I just found out yesterday makes a lot of budget-friendly Scion mods. They don't have much for the xb2, but I'm hoping they release a knockoff fog light set that isn't $200.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe they're the same. This entire eBay listing looks like the same one that was on eBay a few months ago:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Scion-xB-08-09-FX1-Axle-Back-Bolt-on-Exhaust-Muffler_W0QQitemZ300264004446QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300264004446&_trkparms=72%3A543|39%3A1|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

It's Super Store also. You will note that the eBay price is $10 less, but the shipping is $11 more to make up for it.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could you take measurements of the TRD Knock-off exhaust? IE: A general length of the exhaust piping (in feet), and inner/outer diameter?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
I believe they're the same. This entire eBay listing looks like the same one that was on eBay a few months ago:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Scion-xB-08-09-FX1-Axle-Back-Bolt-on-Exhaust-Muffler_W0QQitemZ300264004446QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300264004446&_trkparms=72%3A543|39%3A1|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

It's Super Store also. You will note that the eBay price is $10 less, but the shipping is $11 more to make up for it.
Nice work CIONIDE. I didn't think to look at eBay again for a comparison. I guess it's official that they are indeed the same exhaust. So if they're in LA and I'm in SD I should get my exhaust today if I'm lucky. Can't wait... I should get 10 hp and 5 extra mpg, right?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Could you take measurements of the TRD Knock-off exhaust? IE: A general length of the exhaust piping (in feet), and inner/outer diameter?
Yeah I can do that.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
I should get 10 hp and 5 extra mpg, right?
Only if you bought the $6 performance chip also.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think it's much of a deal how this exhaust was made. If it's 304 stainless steel, it should be fine (put a magnet to it. If the magnet is attracted at all, it's probably 409 stainless steel or just mild steel). It's not a vital and moving part, it's a small part of the exhaust.

The worst part of it is probably going to be the actual muffler, which might have low quality fiberglass (and no stainless steel wool/mesh to protect it), but that can always be replaced. Either way, it's still a bargain to me.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^only if u get the ebay chip too... then its 25hp and 10mpg more....
Old 10-16-2008, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I just missed the UPS guy by 20 minutes. That sucks because I'm sitting at home just playing on the interweb. I'm going to pick it up tonight at UPS if I'm not doing anything else, but I probably won't install it until tomorrow.

btw I just watched that youtube video through my good studio monitor speakers at home. Damn... I want to install this thing now!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, another useless post... but I'm kinda excited for some reason. I'm at work and the muffler is sitting in the back of my car. My boss is gone for the day already so it looks like the stars are aligned and I can get this thing in earlier than I expected.

I took a couple pics and noticed some things. The welds for the tip are now closer to the tip than they are in the eBay picture. This makes them less visible when it's installed on the car. Secondly the overall quality looks good, but the tip is a little cheap looking. There are some imperfections (you can see some dings in the metal). Hopefully when it gets used the soot will help hide that.

I think painting the inside black would help hide the imperfections. What's a good flat black spray paint that I can use to paint the inside of the tip? Can I use high-temp BBQ grill paint? Or do you think the inside will get blackened naturally over time?

Old 10-17-2008, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you gonna install that 2day
Old 10-18-2008, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ended up painting the inside of the tip flat black with header paint. I think it cleans it up quite a bit.

As far as the sound is concerned, when I first started the car it was dead quiet and I wanted to bang my head against the wall... I took it for a spin and began to hear it a tiny bit at idle and while coasting. It seems pretty quiet during acceleration. I brought it back home and noticed that it smelled like a new part getting broken (burnt) in. Hopefully it will get a bit louder over time. I jacked it back up to reposition the bolts to get the tip straighter. I took it out again and it was a bit more noticeable as the car warmed up. I think it just needs a little breaking in.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. My camera needs charging (as always).

FromTheOld: I have your measurements but I left them in the garage (it's far). I'll post them up tomorrow. The piping is 2.25".

It's installed and I'm tired and hungry. Time to start the weekend!

10/23 added a few more shots (iPhone camera sucks man...)

Old 10-18-2008, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright fromtheold, here are those measurements. The measurements of the pipes are following the curves. They are fairly rough.

It's sounding better today after a few more miles. I think the Youtube video is a good representation. It is barely audible in the cabin. It makes noise under the same conditions that the stock muffler makes noise (like coasting and letting the RPMs drop, idling with the A/C on, startup, etc.) but it's just a little louder and deeper. It's not something you want to go with if you want to be noticed. It goes along nicely with the understated mods I've done to my car.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:47 AM

Default Borla exhaust

I bought a borla single outlet for a little over $200 for my 08 xb. You can check it out at borla.com. I just hope it is not too loud.

Quick Reply: I just ordered the TRD knockoff exhaust from Ssuperstore