Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Any HP or Torque plus or minus to going dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any HP or Torque plus or minus to going dual exhaust?

Popular wisdom seems to be that power increases less than 1HP by "upgrading" from the xB2 oem exhaust. Is this also "true" for ft-lbs of Torque, and does it make any difference whether it's single or dual exhaust (eg. Borla and Tsudo)? Do SR or CAI or light weight crank pulley make any difference?

I'm hoping for something more substantial than the typical lay sidewalk opinion -- all solid input appreciated -- TIA! (Dyno info would be great !)
Old 10-17-2008, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PS. I realize the crank pulley can only have an effect during acceleration (rpm spin up,) as opposed to during steady rpm. Therefore, I wouldn't expect it to have a dyno impact, only a throttle response impact.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a tC and the main restriction on that exhaust was the axleback because of the chambered design as well as the flap that opened under high pressure. For the xB2 it lies mainly in the MOAB in the mid pipe which is a cat/resonator combo. The axleback portion too is slightly restrictive but not so much as the NUKE.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, but removing the NUKE or SCUBA tank makes the exhaust very loud according to posts. Thinking of a small high flow cat in line with small resonator to get rid of Mr. SCUBA. Maybe go to Weapon R "S" pipe at same time.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well after seeing what the tc guys have to do to get rid of rasp you will either need a resonator as large as you can fit + a cat or two resonatoors. Another option would be a glasspack + a cat. As far as exhaust goes I remember seeing a dyo from weapon-r that had dyno results with exhaust. I think it made a noticable differece but I do not remember the exact numbers off hand. try searchig "dyno" under this subdivision of the forum as there hasn't been much talk of people dyoing thier rides. You should find it easy.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:16 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

All the xb2s i've heard without the scuba tank sound very raspy & don't sound good at all. I'm leaving mine on unless I go boost (which wouldn't be any time soon).
Old 10-20-2008, 04:10 AM

Default Borla exhaust single outlet

I ordered the borla single outlet, but I have not gotten it yet . The borla web site says its 9 dbs louder than stock. I hope that it's not too loud. I want more than the TRD sound but not that fartcan **** sound when I step on the gas.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hardly hear any sound from the TRD exhaust ....
Old 10-20-2008, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you gain 1HP with the TRD exhaust.. indistinguishable performance difference between brands. with the stock cat/resonator and midpipe the axle back is purely for style
Old 10-21-2008, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's going to be next mod. header with some heat protection for my short ram CAI. Weapon S pipe. then the challenge. suba out and custom cat+resonator in. My tusdo dual will bolt to that. Trumpets still in tusdo which should help. If it's loud and raspy will be bummed.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
PS. I realize the crank pulley can only have an effect during acceleration (rpm spin up,) as opposed to during steady rpm. Therefore, I wouldn't expect it to have a dyno impact, only a throttle response impact.
think about that for a second, alll a dyno does is wind the motor out as quickly as possible. its pure acceleration. if a crank pulley is going to make a defference anywhere its on the dyno.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KillerCane
Originally Posted by TrevorS
think about that for a second, alll a dyno does is wind the motor out as quickly as possible. its pure acceleration. if a crank pulley is going to make a defference anywhere its on the dyno.
I was thinking a dyno run effectively provided a series of static measurements. If so, a pulley composition change would be invisible. If not, then oops :o! The slower the ramp-up in rpm, the less impact I would expect from a same-size pulley change.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
All the xb2s i've heard without the scuba tank sound very raspy & don't sound good at all. I'm leaving mine on unless I go boost (which wouldn't be any time soon).
mines don't have any rasp at all :D