Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Has anyone put a 3 way speaker set in the doors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anyone put a 3 way speaker set in the doors?

Im looking to change up my setup alittle. I was wondering if anyone installed a 3 way set in the doors and if they have any pics. Im just tossing around some ideas now though.
thanks
-nick
Old 01-11-2009, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I reeeeeally want to run Hybrid Audio Technologies 3 way setup in my front doors.

But I'm broooke.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

their website sucks... not much info at all.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you can afford the high end focal system that would be dope. I had their polyglass series and loved it, then I got their k2power series which was way more expensive and not really better sounding, just a lil louder. I really wanna try the utopia series but could never afford it. Polyglass series are awesome and I woud highly recommend them. I hear the zapco mids and highs are pretty damn good as well. anyone know anything about that brand?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I like the focals too. Right now Im running the pioneer premier 6.5 that are bi-amped from my JL 500/5. it sounds good now but Im looking into getting a smaller amp(size wise) and jl just came out with a new 5 channel, the HD800. only thing is no bandpass crossover. Im running the pioneers without the xover because they tend to be alittle harsh on the high end. I really dont want to do a external xover like an audiocontrol due to space. so Im stuck. I might just stick with what I have and redo the install.
keep the info comming.
-nick
Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Money pending, I really want to run an active front stage.

The HAT website is pretty cumbersome, but I've heard nothing but good about their product. A little on the expensive side, but I'm sure it's worth it.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:20 PM

I am on the verge of doing a 3 way active front stage because i want a hyper critical sound. Right now i am 2 way active in stock locations with a DIY speaker set. In order to keep it cost effective the plan is to keep the speakers i have and add a 4" mid to the kickpanel and shift the tweeter around a bit. There are companies that make 3 way sets with passives, but they are normally pretty pricey. For average listening there are 2 way setups that if installed properly will keep you content

To the owner of the pioneer PRS set (720PRS?), try running them active and get the crossover point slightly higher. tweeters tend to break up a bit in their lower range so if you raise it slightly and control the power to each driver you will be much happier with them. If they are the 720's you will never beat the quality and sound of them for the money, i actually prefer those to many of the higher priced sets on the market
Old 01-23-2009, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah I love the 720s they sound great without the pioneer x-over. they are crossed over right. I was just thinking about changing amps, in doing so I lose my active (bandpass x-over) So I was looking for a spkr set that I could bi-amp with their x-over network or just doing a 3 way set... Im still up in the air.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:40 AM

are you going to a 2 channel amp instead of a 4 channel? if you are staying with a 4 channel and just adding more power then i suggest either an active capable headunit or a simple piece like an AudioControl EQX, a 13 band eq crossover combo that you can change the chips in and use as your crossover for active. they can be found for about $90 used
Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what do you guys mean by active?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
From what I've been told, active is when you use a crossover before you amplify the signal. So for a 2 component set, you'd have to use a 4 channel amplifier. Each channel of the amplifier will give power to each component.

I want to get a Sundown SAX-100.4 to match my SAZ-3000D. Plus, the 100.4 has a TON of crossover options. :D
Old 01-28-2009, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Originally Posted by randomsuper
From what I've been told, active is when you use a crossover before you amplify the signal. So for a 2 component set, you'd have to use a 4 channel amplifier. Each channel of the amplifier will give power to each component.

I want to get a Sundown SAX-100.4 to match my SAZ-3000D. Plus, the 100.4 has a TON of crossover options. :D
pretty much! Active is essentially eliminating the passive crossover network that comes with most component sets. When you do that it is you who sets your crossover points and power levels to each speaker instead of the manufacturer. There are many ways to do this, either with an active capable head, outboard electronic crossover, amp settings etc.

Vegan much like yourself i have wanted the SAX-100.4 and mine will finally be on its way in the coming weeks paired with a SAZ-1000d, im a happy camper :D
Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Soooo, once again, I can say Sundown, FTW! :D

Best amplifier I've had. Period. I want to try out the Ascendant Audio Havoc Carbon mids sooooo bad.
Pic just for fun:

Old 01-28-2009, 06:02 AM

wow those AA's look sweet! neo motor? Im using the ID OEM and those are absolute midbass monsters, once i add a 4" mid i think ill be close to the nirvana i'm chasing
Old 02-01-2009, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Soooo, once again, I can say Sundown, FTW! :D

Best amplifier I've had. Period. I want to try out the Ascendant Audio Havoc Carbon mids sooooo bad.
Pic just for fun:

WOW those look exactly like the CSS SDX7 save the phase plug being a different color/material.
How much are the AA drivers?
The SDX7s can be had here for about 100$ each
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX7
Old 02-02-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I can get the AA's for $110 a pair. :D
Old 02-03-2009, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can get the AA's for $110 a pair. :D
Thats cheap for a 6.5" pair. Do you have the TS parameters for this driver?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by FREQBOX
Thats cheap for a 6.5" pair. Do you have the TS parameters for this driver?
Unfortunately, I do not. Sorry, bro! It's not listed on the AA website, either! You could call them and see what they say. I could even hit up my vendor to see if they have it, but not sure if they'd have it readily available.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:01 AM

hmmmmmmmmm dang Vegan i may hit you up for a set of those just because im a tweaker to the bone, right FREQ? lol
Old 03-03-2009, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm about to take the plunge and install my 3-way components in my doors. I've got a
JL 6-channel amp, Lanzar active 3-way crossover, and a DIY driver set. I planned to put it all
in my S10 before I decided to sell it. So it's all been sitting in my basement for 2 years. I've got
a Phoenix Gold sub amp. I still need to figure out where I'm going to put whatever sub(s) I decide on.

That's just alot of stuff to try to find a place for...

Quick Reply: Has anyone put a 3 way speaker set in the doors?