Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

check engine light P0171

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default check engine light P0171

this past weekend after installing my engine damper i threw a check engine light (along with the associated VSC/TC off light) number P0171. after doing some searching online i found that it was probably a lean code. i had previously removed the bottom section of my AEM intake that converted the intake to a short ram for the rain season.

i first suspected a dirty MAF because the filter is kinda dirty and the cotton dry filters are kinda known to throw loose filter material especially since the filter is so much closer to the MAF now. so i went a bought a can of MAF cleaner.

when i went to clean the MAF i noticed that the adapter on the throttle body was loose. this could be because the AEM has no real support without the CAI part of the intake. i took the intake out, cleaned the MAF, and reinstalled the cold part of the intake so that the intake could be properly supported. this could allow extra, unmetered air to enter the throttle body thus making the mixture too lean to the point that the ECU really doesnt understand and will throw a code.

i created this thread to share with everyone my experience so that everyone could have a list of things to check when something like this comes up. please do not flame, but please post up additional things to check in case something like this pops up

please do not post "i installed "xyxy" and its throwing a code! is this it?" only post experiences regarding only this code it keeps the thread free of excess when newbies really need help with this code.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did this fix your problem? or are you still throwing the code? also does your obd scanner come with a code book? if our box isnt in it can you see if the tc is? since its the same engine maybe this can shed more light on it?

just tryin to help :D
Old 01-13-2009, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh it isnt throwing a code any more. i used my scangauge and it gave me that code number. since there is no repair manual for the xB i just did some googling and from what i gathered from miscellaneous toyota sites it was probably a lean code
Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanx for the future reference miketf1 since i work on my engine bay myself and sometimes just feels like if i didn't do something i suppose to do.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

learn from mistakes so thats why i posted this... and i found just now a list of CEL codes in the tC forum.. i would think that toyota uses the same trouble codes across their range so i think we can use this guide..

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=246650