Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Lost keys, high risk of someone finding, $600 to replace all

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Default Lost keys, high risk of someone finding, $600 to replace all

Lost my keys in an area where there is a fairly good chance they've been found or will be found - and of course NOT returned to me. I'm very concerned and believe I have no choice but to replace locks. I have an '08 xB. Dealer says $600 for parts and labor, will take 4 hours to replace ignition key and door key. I do have the spare "master" as well as the valet(?) key; the one with no keyless entry. Couldn't I just replace the door key and not ignition? Like a door key without keyless entry or chip (does it even have a chip?) It sounded like it was all or nothing. *sigh* May sound paranoid, but I really do have a legitimate reason to worry - so I was just looking for any other ideas or opinions on the cost, etc. I also don't fully understand what's involved with programming and what an immobilizer is...maybe that adds to the cost? Thanks....
Old 01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey I had to do the same thing. DO NOT PAY $600. Both key barrels and a matching key set costs 157 and some change. The shop forman at toyota of Orange gave me this quote. Other places told me aywhere from $1000- I dont know drop it off and we'll see. He pulled my vin and found the part number. Our cars do not have an immobilizer. If your dealership is telling you it does, go somewhere else thier retarded. I was quoted one hour labor for the install of the barrels and $50 to program the new keys although you can find directions yourself online. Reprogramming the key is a system of ignition key turns and door opening and closing. G'luck getting your car rekeyed. by the time I was done talking to all these illinformed toyota employees I wated to hit someone.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

keep the same key and get an alarm.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jingjing
keep the same key and get an alarm.
x2 that idea
Old 01-13-2009, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes its nice that we found a way for crooks to steel your car by putting light flashing or horn beeping on our key . i know 2 people who lost there keys and went out to the parking lot to find no car. arnt we smart .
Old 01-13-2009, 01:20 AM

Default Will get the details on that $600 figure...

1v - thanks! I read your other post as well and I'm trying to do some research too. I REALLY appreciate the info you provided....VERY VERY helpful.

For now I assume a good bit of the '4 hours' is the labor for replacing the ignition barrel and the keyless-entry (remote-entry) receiver? I actually don't really care about keyless and made sure I mentioned that to the service dept. a few times, but it didn't seem to matter. I guess the receiver would still have to be removed otherwise lost key could still be used if found. So if they're gonna be messing around in that area, may as well put a new keyless reciever (and fob transmitters of course) in? Tomorrow I plan on getting the parts and labor details for everything and that should clear up SOME confusion.

Maybe one of the four hours is for 'programming.' Well I can skip paying for that - the forum instructions seem easy enough!

jing - thanks for the alarm idea! I'm considering it and trying to do some research and make a decision. I have a bad feeling though that a decent alarm system would cost as much or more than the $600 to replace locks - but we'll see!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy the parts and do it yourself, or take it to an independent garage. It can't be that hard, we only have one door lock and one ignition cylinder.
As for an alarm, my Viper 5900 1 Mile 2-Way system was about $600 installed, and now theres an immobilizer, which will prevent the casual thief from driving away with your car. Not only that, but it'll let me know (provided I'm in range) that someone is jacking with my car. If I got the tilt-sensor, it would alarm if someone was trying to steal my rims. Alarms may cost a bit of change, but they do a lot more then simply locking/unlocking your locks.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude if you have to order the part elsewhere and have a locksmith install it do it. Hell call toyota of orange. Don't pay over 400. To unprogram a key is just a series of key flicks n door slams. Toyotanation has directions to do this. Might take 5 mins. 80% of dealers are retarded. Call around and ask to talk to a technician, tell them to pull ur vin for part numbers.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude if you have to order the part elsewhere and have a locksmith install it do it. Hell call toyota of orange. Don't pay over 400. To unprogram a key is just a series of key flicks n door slams. Toyotanation has directions to do this. Might take 5 mins. 80% of dealers are retarded. Call around and ask to talk to a technician, tell them to pull ur vin for part numbers.