Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

installing Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default installing Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth.......

Does anyone have any 'how-to' articles, or maybe just some advice?

Also, does anyone have any info regarding the harnesses i need? Specific brands, part numbers, and where to buy them would be great.

Mike
Old 02-02-2009, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just ordered this harness from Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120BT17...BT1761+&tp=159

they say it'll work and they have yet to lead me wrong.

if people have tips and tricks on the rest of this install, though, i would appreciate it.

Mike
Old 02-02-2009, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That should be all you need. I've installed lots of these in other vehicles and I didn't use the plugs, had to splice the speaker wires in and out. It's mostly all speaker wires, with positive, constant, and ground in the other harness. Pretty straight forward. These are really nice kits too. It interrupts all of the speakers when you activate the kit or make a call, and broadcasts the sound through the front speakers.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 AM
SL Member

^^X2 I have put probably three or so of these parrots in and like them better than I like the Motorola T605's now. I like having the features like muting the speakers rather than a weak stand alone speaker. I have not seen one come back yet to be serviced either so they seem to last. as far as the correct harness, I have contacted their sales department and they told me I think like $45 plus shipping for the harness to my xb... kind of a rip off and plus that would be a lot of harness to put behind your dash IMO!!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Installed!!

I'm bored, so here's a ridiculously long and overburdened write-up. Hopefully this helps others thinking of installing this piece since I couldn't really find anything when I searched.

THE UNIT:

I chose the Parrot CK3100 because all reviews I found were generally positive. I compared it to its bigger and more expensive brothers, and I didn't really see the extra cost being worth it. I found mine at Best Buy at an Open Box buy price of $145, but it can be found other places for cheaper. I just prefer to deal with a brick-and-mortar on electronics I have no experience with.

THE INSTALL:

First things first, this install is really easy. It almost doesn't need a 'how-to', but like I said, I'm bored. My stereo/electronics installation experience is pretty limited (basic HU installs, subwoofer installs, speaker replacement, etc.). On a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most difficult thing I have ever done, this is a generous 2. There is NO DRILLING or CUTTING unless you really want to.

NOTE: I have the upgraded Pioneer stereo in my xB. If you have the base unit or the navigation unit, these instructions MAY not work for you.

What you need:
- Parrot CK3100 (or any Parrot Bluetooth, I guess)
- Metra wiring harness adapter BT-1761 (PN may actually be 120BT1761)
- 10mm socket wrench, and an extension or two
- Interior trim removal tool of your choice (flatblade screwdriver, putty knife, or the actual tool you can buy at any parts store)
- Zip ties
- Foam mounting tape (or any type of double-sided tape you like)
- Electrical tape

1) Install the wiring harnesses from the Parrot to the Metra wiring harness adapter. All harnesses have keyed tabs so you can't attach anything the wrong way. Be careful because the connectors are a tight fit; don't force anything and be patient. When you get done, all connections on the Metra adapter will be filled.

2) On one of the Parrot wiring harnesses, there is a yellow wire with a MALE bullet connector on it. Attach this to the yellow wire on the OTHER Parrot wiring harness that has a FEMALE bullet connector on it. Wrap with electrical tape if you like just to keep it from backing back out.

There will be a few extra wires left on the Parrot harnesses that will not be attached to anything. Don't panic! They aren't used. If you're a neat freak, trim 'em off or zip tie them up or whatever you want. I just crammed them all in at the end.

3) Remove the stereo. There's a number of how-tos on this, but here's one more. Grab the trim piece around the stereo (which includes the two center vents) and pull straight out towards you. If you can't get it to come loose, use any of your trim removal tools. Just be careful since we ALL know how easy it is to mar up the surfaces in the xB. Next, remove the thin trim piece that sits below the stereo, again by pulling it out towards you. You'll know which piece it is because it blocks 2 of the (4) 10mm screws you need to remove next. Remove the screws, pull out the stereo, then disconnect all the harnesses from the backside.

4) OPTIONAL: Hook the Metra wiring harness into the stereo. Note that it only connects into (2) of the harnesses. Again, the connectors are keyed so you cannot screw this up. Re-attach the rest of the harnesses to the stereo. Connect the harnesses to the blue Parrot box. Turn the car on and give everything a test run. When complete, disconnect the microphone and the control panel from the Parrot blue box.

THESE NEXT STEPS ALL DEPEND ON WHERE YOU PLAN TO PUT THE MIC AND THE CONTROL PANEL.

5) Loosen the trim panel underneath the steering column. It's not necessary to remove it entirely. To loosen, grab a corner (the lower ones are easier to grab), and pull back towards you.

6) MICROPHONE: I elected to install the microphone on the visor using the clip adapter included with the Parrot system. I have found with my previous vehicles that having the microphone at this height works very well. I routed the wire between the plastic A-pillar trim piece and the rubber weatherstripping. Using the trim removal tool helped to tuck it away. One you get the wire down far enough, route it back behind the trim panel under the steering column and up towards the hole for the stereo. Those with big hands need not worry; there is plenty of room.

7) CONTROL PANEL: I elected to install my control panel on the silver panel to the left of the steering column (where the mirror controls are). There is a pic floating around on here where someone else did the same thing, and I thought it worked well. First, loosen the silver panel. Just like the other panels, grab a corner and pull towards you. Use the trim tool if necessary. The top of this panel won't come loose, but the bottom will. Once the panel is loose, feed the connector and cable for the control panel through the hole behind the silver panel (you can't see the hole, but you can reach underneath the panel and feel it). Route the cable back behind the trim panel under the steering column and up towards the hole for the stereo. Use the foam mounting tape to mount the control panel to the silver panel, then pop the panel back in place. The silver panel is soft enough to pop back in and wedge the cable in between it and the dash without damaging the cable or severely distorting it. A little time with a small file could be used to make a relief in the silver panel if you'd like.

Attach the microphone and the control panel to the blue Parrot box. If you're a neat freak, now would be the time to go back and ziptie the wires and cables so they're all out of the way.

9) Pop the trim panel under the steering column back in place.

10) I 'installed' the blue Parrot box by simply dropping it in the open space behind the stereo. So far, no harm no foul, but I'll post updates if this causes a problem.

11) Re-install the stereo and associated trim panels. It's a LOT of harness, but it'll fit. Just cram it in.

12) Enjoy!!

REVIEW:

Initial impressions are very good. My cell phone synced easily using the instruction found in the Parrot manual. The display is clear and easy-to-read. I especially like how it shows my phone's battery status and reception. Most importantly, the sound is great! There's a SLIGHT electrical hiss, but it is very minimal. Everyone I have called has stated it is very clear, definitely much clearer than the Bluetooth option in my old Garmin GPS (which was stolen, hence my purchase of the Parrot).

Pics to come later this weekend if there is a request, but it really is quite simple!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 PM

great writeup.
i have been contemplating going with the new scion bluetooth kit.
this parrot kit can be found for about $130 in buy.com so i may follow your footsteps instead.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where you installed the mic is up at the visor, but how does it look on your car? Did you have to remove the piece where the airbag is? Was it hard to put that area together? If you have pictures, I'd love to see it. My order is coming sometime this week.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 PM

I installed my parrot 3200LS about 3 weeks ago and love it! I ordered my wire harness from Crutchfield and it was a breeze to install. I mounted the screen on the left side of the gear shifter and switched the emergency flasher with the blank switch cover and routed my wires through it so I wouldn't need to drill any holes. With the parrot wire harness and the one from crutchfield, it was plug and play no issues. I'll post pictures when i take some
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 PM

by the way i mounted my mic right next to the screen on the shifter console and everyone can hear me just fine. One of these days i'd like to route it up to the dome light and mount it there
Old 04-28-2009, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zmonster72
I installed my parrot 3200LS about 3 weeks ago and love it! I ordered my wire harness from Crutchfield and it was a breeze to install. I mounted the screen on the left side of the gear shifter and switched the emergency flasher with the blank switch cover and routed my wires through it so I wouldn't need to drill any holes. With the parrot wire harness and the one from crutchfield, it was plug and play no issues. I'll post pictures when i take some
That's actually a really cool idea. I never thought of putting it there.

I also ordered a 3200LS and installed it just last week. I followed the instructions on here and mounted it on the right side of the mirror controls. I didn't run the microphone up to the visor but instead mounted it on my steering wheel. This weekend I'm thinking about dismantling it and putting it in your spot. That will let me see it a lot better. But I like the low profile concept of having it out of sight. I'll have to do some thinking.

But I definitely know I'm ripping it apart so I can get pictures of the process up here for further review.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:58 AM

yeah, i'll post a pic of it tomorrow, it was super easy and is in the perfect spot to see the screen and reach the buttons no prob, plus its not permanent so when i upgrade my stereo with bluetooth, i can take the parrot out and sell it
Old 05-02-2009, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I'm having a bit of a problem with mine and I was hoping that you, zmonster72, might know if something's wrong.

I have my 3200 LS synced to my LG Chocolate phone. I installed the unit as per these directions and the system runs nominally. The only problem is that people complain they can't hear me and that I sound far away AND that calls sometimes cut in and out for no apparent reason, even when I'm not in motion. Any advice on this? Do you think I hooked it up incorrectly?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 AM

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, crazy weekend. First, here's the pics i promised:

From what I can tell it sounds like your mic isn't plugged in all the way. I would check to make sure all the connections are securly fastened cuz it sounds like when your moving you get faulty service. I've had mine hooked up for a month now and haven't had an issue, it works like a champ. I love this thing!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I'm definitely going to rip apart the unit tomorrow when there's some sun and take a look at those connections again. So to confirm, you have a low sensitivity setting on your mic for best performance? My unit cuts in and out from time to time with phone calls. But I notice it mostly with my girlfriend only when she is in her Ford Focus that has Microsoft Sync. Hers works fine, but mine cuts in and out. I hope that tightening those connections will resolve this issue.