Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

splicing aftermarket ipod controller into factory one

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default splicing aftermarket ipod controller into factory one

has anyone done this? i would like to use the PAC IC-PIOP (http://pac-audio.com/products/produc...%20Integration) and splice it into the factory jack in the armrest. has anyone done it. any how-to's?

thanks
Brian
Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 PM

why are you trying to use that setup?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a aftermarket headunit (pioneer avic d2) and i wanted to try and utilize the plug in the armrest for a clean look
Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 AM
SL Member

I too have the Avic-D2 and was wondering about using the stock ipod connector but doesn't seem like there is a way to do so.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:04 AM

so why not buy the ipod cable from pioneer for the avic, run it to your glovebox and keep it tucked away? wouldnt that achieve the "clean" look you want?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by AndyInOC
so why not buy the ipod cable from pioneer for the avic, run it to your glovebox and keep it tucked away? wouldnt that achieve the "clean" look you want?
WIN!!! Much cleaner than having a large, difficult to bend, cord hanging out of the front of your center console.

Re-route it, bro!

*all this coming from someone with an aftermarket h/u with the cord at the stock location*

Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 AM
SL Member

me personally.........I do have the AVIC adapter but wouldn't want that ipod connector just sitting there. But I've already decided that it would be a good location to put my nitrous arming switch so I'm not so worried about it anymore.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i still don't have an ipod or any mp3 players :-\
Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Originally Posted by AndyInOC
WIN!!! Much cleaner than having a large, difficult to bend, cord hanging out of the front of your center console.

Re-route it, bro!

*all this coming from someone with an aftermarket h/u with the cord at the stock location*

The iPod control on the d2 is horrific. Google it. Trying to navigate the iPod on the hu is so slow. It's better to control it from the iPod itself. So I need it next to me to control. I do not want to drill any holes in the console and route the wire because I know sometime I will upgrade and hate to have a hole drilled and not use it. So my main goal is to splice it into the armrest jack if I can
Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 AM
SL Member

Thanks the heads up on that oppie1. I had actually been in my friends car cleaning it out at a show one time and I mentioned to him how slow it was and he thought his unit was messed up but I guess they are all like that.

Which adapter do you have.....the CD-IB100 or the CD-IB100II??
Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 PM
SL Member

instead of using those Ipod cables use the Peripheral Electronics Connex2Car that plugs into the ipbus. it charges the ipod and you operate it from the ipod, but it also comes with a 3.5mm jack for other mp3 players! its still digital sound and its more universal as well as quicker than the d2's ipod adapter..
to answer your question johnnyboy it SHOULD be the CD-IB100II if I can remember right and those things are so slow compared to the new adapters!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 PM
SL Member

That's funny. I was at Best Buy the other day and they had that harness there. I was looking at it but I asked the sales guy some questions about it and he gave me the "WTF" look because he didn't have an answer for anything I asked them. I guess I'm headed there in a few to pick it up!! Thanks for the tip Bego!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bego
instead of using those Ipod cables use the Peripheral Electronics Connex2Car that plugs into the ipbus. it charges the ipod and you operate it from the ipod, but it also comes with a 3.5mm jack for other mp3 players! its still digital sound and its more universal as well as quicker than the d2's ipod adapter..
to answer your question johnnyboy it SHOULD be the CD-IB100II if I can remember right and those things are so slow compared to the new adapters!!!
thats the cable i have.. i'm trying to find a way to splice that into the stock armrest connector and utilize the plug in the armrest.. instead of having a wire come out from somewhere in the dash or center console
Old 02-06-2009, 11:56 PM
SL Member

I wouldn't mind trying something out but I don't have the wiring diagram to that plug. If I had that I'd go for it. My friend works for Toyota and he can't find any info on it.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoyGSXR
I wouldn't mind trying something out but I don't have the wiring diagram to that plug. If I had that I'd go for it. My friend works for Toyota and he can't find any info on it.
i emailed PAC to see if i can get the pinout of the plug.. just waiting for a response
Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
SL Member

That's funny. I was at Best Buy the other day and they had that harness there. I was looking at it but I asked the sales guy some questions about it and he gave me the "WTF" look because he didn't have an answer for anything I asked them. I guess I'm headed there in a few to pick it up!! Thanks for the tip Bego!
That is where I work as an "Autotech" (or as I call it a car audio installer) and I have seen plenty of them and installed plenty with no problems. If you have questions shoot them at me
Old 02-07-2009, 06:40 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by oppie1
thats the cable i have.. i'm trying to find a way to splice that into the stock armrest connector and utilize the plug in the armrest.. instead of having a wire come out from somewhere in the dash or center console
Which plug are you exactly trying to use? you can probably tap into that aux jack cause it should just have two wires in its little harness, being a left and a right audio, if your trying to tap into the ipod plug good luck man I have read a lot of forums about trying to do that I have not heard of any success yet
Old 02-07-2009, 06:41 PM
SL Member

what plug are you talking about
Old 02-07-2009, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oppie1
Which plug are you exactly trying to use? you can probably tap into that aux jack cause it should just have two wires in its little harness, being a left and a right audio, if your trying to tap into the ipod plug good luck man I have read a lot of forums about trying to do that I have not heard of any success yet
yeah.. i was trying to splice into the ipod cable in the armrest
Old 02-07-2009, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it should have 3, a left +, right +, and common -

as for splicing into the stock ipod cable.. your easiest way would be do buy a blank plug from toyota.. remove the ipod socket from the console, replace it with a blank, take a drill bit the same size as the cable and put a notch on the edge of the blank panel, then route your NEW cable out that hole, that way if you ever sell the vehicle, or it gets totalled and you want to remove your radio and the insurance company wants a radio back in it *like happened to me before* then you can put the factory stuff back and it will not be modified =P

if you REALLY just want to do it, get a multimeter, splice open both cables, you need to meter EVERY wire inside the plug while plugged into the new radio as well as the ipod *without letting wires touch so you don't damage the ipod or radio* and write down each wires functions, then splice together the like ones, which for the new cable would only be, 12v or 5v + for charging, ground, left and right audio +, and left and right audio -

Quick Reply: splicing aftermarket ipod controller into factory one