Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

what do i need to install my sub and amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default what do i need to install my sub and amp

ok so im a total noob to installing audio...ive got a 12" W0 and a lightning audio amp...i got the stock deck....what do i need to install this???like what kind of wires and all that???
Old 03-09-2009, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

probably an 8 gauge wiring kit.. line output converter *unless you have the premium radio with rca outputs on the back* and rca's to reach from the deck to the location of the amp
Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is such a vague question....if depends how mild or wild you wanna do it.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:30 PM

You'll need a wiring kit with power lead, rca cables, ground wire, and remote turn on lead. You'll also need a line converter, which converts the speaker level output from the HU to a line level signal. You'll splice this into one set of speaker outputs (usually rear is used). Having done the same thing before, I would highly recommend using a line driver, which boosts the resulting line level signal from the converter. I tried it without one and the signal was very low. I had to turn the gain all the way up on the amp and it was still very quiet. You can also get a line level converter that has a volume control too. This way you can adjust the sub level independently from the bass on the HU.

do a google search for these two items:
PAC LC-2
PAC turbo-1
Old 03-13-2009, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice straight answers guys. Where does the remote wire go though. The Turn-on wire for amp. Does is somehow work with the line Converter off the rear speakers? or do I have to somehow tap into the wire behind the Factory CD player. Also, do they make a line driver and line converter all in one?

thanks.

Oh and I would assume he was going to go his build fairly mild. I can't imagine many people going wild and keeping the Factory HU
Old 03-13-2009, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can tap the remote wire into the accessory turn on the the factory radio.. this way if you ever do change out the radio, you can easily attach it to the remote output of the new radio.. also, make sure so run your wires first, leaving the slack hanging out the dash.. THEN put the radio in.. i can't stand going behind someone who hooked up the LOC & remote, put the radio in, pulled the wires down and ran them.. then when you go to pull the radio out you have to go through the car and pull slack back to the front to have it hook up to the new radio lol
Old 03-14-2009, 01:04 AM

There probably are some line driver/LOC combinations, but then you'd have to find a separate volume **** if you want that too. For my application, this was the best option I could find. I have since upgraded from the factory stereo and went with an aftermarket that already has line outputs and a separate sub volume control. But, my ipod broke and the HU I'm using doesn't support the new one. I don't drive my car nearly enough to spend the $ on a new HU. So, I'm going back to the factory HU and the setup I recommended for you. This way I spend $30 instead of $300.

At least now I get my steering wheel controls back!
Old 04-09-2009, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so how is your system coming along?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Everything worked great. I put the sub volume **** where the hazard light button used to be, and moved that to the blank knockout next to the shifter. With the LC-2 and turbo-1, the sub sounds much better than it did when I used the factory stereo without it. I actually have strong enough signal going to it now, so I have more control over the sound.

While I was in there messing around, I installed a push button garage door opener in one of the blanks next to the traction control switch. Now I just need to move the ipod input to the inside of the center console. How is yours going?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my system is done and im in the process of taking the jl subs out and taking out the nasty carpet and getting it stitched in suede...but before i do that, i need to sand the living daylights out of the JL box...the surface is terrible!...bondo..then sanding and then more bondo...then a little more sanding..
Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i ordered a hi lo converter is that the same thing as a LOC?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:09 PM

Yeah, that's the same thing.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member

doesn't the stock deck have line level outs? i hope so... converting an amplified signal to line level and then amplifying that signal is not a good way to go if you can help it. i'd buy another deck with line levels out before doing that....