Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Where should I install a sub volume knob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:20 PM

Default Where should I install a sub volume ****?

I'm going back to the stock HU on my 08 xB because my Sony does not support the new ipod I got. In order to keep the sub, I'm using a PAC LC-2 line converter/volume **** and PAC turbo-1 line driver (I've tried the sub from the factory HU without the line driver and the signal going to the amp is extremely low).

My question is: where should I put the volume ****? I'm planning on putting in through a panel somewhere, so that only the **** and not it's enclosure is exposed. The best idea I have come up with is just to the right of the shifter. There is a blank there that looks like a placeholder for some sort of factory upgrade. I have no idea how I could mount it underneath though. Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took mine out of its housing and mounted it behind the plastic above and to the left of the 12V outlet. I put it there so it would be out of sight and easy to reach while driving. I drilled a small hole for this. If I ever needed to I could remove the **** and plug the hole. It would be very hard to notice, but as long as I have this car it's going to have a sub volume ****.

This is a bad pic but you can kind of see the **** (circled in red).

Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 AM

Good idea, that's a good spot for it. I did mine last night, and I put it by the shifter. It looks like in your pic you have the factory security system (or some other gadget) in the knockout to the right of your shifter. Mine was empty, so I moved the switch for the hazard lights there. Then I put the sub volume where the hazard was. I just drilled the knockout panel and attached it there. Worked perfectly. I also did the garage door opener by the traction control switch. I got that idea here while I was looking into the volume ****.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad you got it installed. You're correct, that is the glass break sensor for the security system next to my shifter. I wish I could do the garage door opener mod but my garage is not attached to my house so I need to take the remote with me when I leave the car.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Maybe you could add a keypad to the outside of the garage and open it that way. Then you can leave the opener in the car. Or just get a second opener, I got mine for like $20.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good idea. I never thought of that since we're renting right now, but I could do that. Maybe I will one of these days. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member

had mine installed on the left hand side
Old 03-31-2009, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You can take the pac piece apart and trim it so it fits to the left of the dash in the factory tabs. That way if you do remove it later you just need to replace the tab.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I have an Infinity amp and used double stick tape anp put it between the seat and center console...outa sight...