Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What next?

I feel like wasting some money. I've got a CAI and TRD axle-back which should have added about 10hp. What's the next best bang for buck engine upgrade? I was thinking headers but wonder if it's worth it without replacing the s-pipe and "scuba tank". I don't want it loud and don't want to sacrifice too much low-end for only a few hp up top.

I wanted a TRD SC once the price became reasonable but that seems to be out now. A turbo is more much money, effort and risk than I want. Should I skip the headers and just go for a NOS kit? Would I really need to run premium fuel all the time with a NOS kit? How expensive are refills and how long does a 10lb tank last? I know very little about NOS. TIA
Old 03-14-2009, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uh, headers and a glass pack replacement on the resonator best bang for your small buck.

turbo kit is best bang for your large buck.

nos is last imo for an xB, especially a non-track vehicle
Old 03-14-2009, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the feedback. Any idea how it sounds with a header and glass-pack resonator replacement? I was thinking more along the lines of a header and 2.5" S-pipe with the stock resonator assy and my TRD axle-back. I want it quiet.

BTW, any thoughts on this cheapo Ebay header? I know... I know... Still, it looks pretty good for the price, if it fits properly, Looks like a Strup knock-off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-20...Q5fAccessories
Old 03-14-2009, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally I'd stay away from ebay knock offs far as the motor goes

the glasspack and headers with a cat back will be loud as fizzuck so, not for you, else you could go with an aftermarket resonator (that isn't a glasspack) and it would be louder than stock, but quieter than a straight pipe or a glasspack and still give you the performance
Old 03-14-2009, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

headers are worthless get a nst underdrive pulley power without the noise thats the way it should be
Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
SL Member

I did the header first then the udp. IMO it is pretty silly to call a header worthless.
Definately more of a power mod then a udp.
The UDP was a good upgrade also as it made reving easier, but if I had to choose I would pick the header over it.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the header i didnt notice much diff
Old 03-15-2009, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VonStarINC
personally I'd stay away from ebay knock offs far as the motor goes

the glasspack and headers with a cat back will be loud as fizzuck so, not for you, else you could go with an aftermarket resonator (that isn't a glasspack) and it would be louder than stock, but quieter than a straight pipe or a glasspack and still give you the performance
This says all I need to know about those ebay headers: "Welding and cutting require for the best fitment." It's shame really. They're asking $82 shipped for a header that is most likely poor quality and fit when I'd happily pay $200 if they spent another ~$50 to make it better. I guess I have to decide if 5whp is worth $320-550 for the Strup or W-R headers.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
headers are worthless get a nst underdrive pulley power without the noise thats the way it should be
Headers are worth about 5-10whp on a NA XB and more with FA. How much power does a UD pulley free up?

Strup header independent dyno results:

http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X122&...rs5/index.html

I said 5-10whp because the 4-2-1 W-R header and 2.5" s-pipe should make more power than the 4-1 Strup header into the stock 2.25" s-pipe.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Lol you dont want to add a turbo because you don't want to risk anything but you want nitrous?

To be honest, I don't think a header will satisfy your needs. Save up for a supercharger.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they dont make the super charger any more for the xb or the tc and n2o when ran right is just as safe as a turbo run a 50 shot no problem make sure its a wet and refills vary i used to go to air gas to get mine filled at about 2-3 dollars a pound
Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with most of whats said in the previous posts. i'd go with the header or a light weight pully set. i'm not a fan of the underdrive set ups... just my thing... i started with the strup header... it did a bit, really helped the gas mileage and it revved a bit better. then i did the NST crank and water pump pulley set up... about 6lbs of rotating mass was removed from the engine, that ='s faster revs, better response, more power to the wheels and improved mileage again. it all comes down to what you want to do. i have the stock "S" pipe and scuba tank installed still and have a pretty nice exhaust note. its louder than stock but doesn't sound like a bunch of ____ed off hornets in a coffee can... or a civic. i'm planning on installing 2 hi-flow 3-way cats and a small resenator to free up some flow and getting the weapon-r "S" pipe also, but i'm happy with what i've got for now. and nos will be a bit hard to install due to the drive by wire throttle body. you'll have to install a micro switch under the throttle pedal for WOT turn on...
Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly if you call places before you purchase you're gonna get better prices than what they list, sometimes up to 60% so, I'd call some people about the good products first (Weapon-R, Strup, etc)
Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whitebreadbox
i agree with most of whats said in the previous posts. i'd go with the header or a light weight pully set. i'm not a fan of the underdrive set ups... just my thing... i started with the strup header... it did a bit, really helped the gas mileage and it revved a bit better. then i did the NST crank and water pump pulley set up... about 6lbs of rotating mass was removed from the engine, that ='s faster revs, better response, more power to the wheels and improved mileage again. it all comes down to what you want to do. i have the stock "S" pipe and scuba tank installed still and have a pretty nice exhaust note. its louder than stock but doesn't sound like a bunch of ____ed off hornets in a coffee can... or a civic. i'm planning on installing 2 hi-flow 3-way cats and a small resenator to free up some flow and getting the weapon-r "S" pipe also, but i'm happy with what i've got for now. and nos will be a bit hard to install due to the drive by wire throttle body. you'll have to install a micro switch under the throttle pedal for WOT turn on...

zex makes a kit for the tc that works for the xb2 it come with all you need and there box will tap in to your tps so only at 100% wide open will it start sprayin also come with all the fuel fittings for a easy install
Old 03-15-2009, 10:52 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
they dont make the super charger any more for the xb or the tc and n2o when ran right is just as safe as a turbo run a 50 shot no problem make sure its a wet and refills vary i used to go to air gas to get mine filled at about 2-3 dollars a pound
They don't make them anymore but I'm sure there are quite a few left on the shelf for sale.

The problem with nitrous is it's never instant power like the s/c. You have to make sure the bottle is at the right temperature with the right amount of pressure. Not a good power adder for a daily driver.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its instant power and the only free power as in you do not take power to make power like a sc or a turbo
Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nitrous is definitely a fun power adder to have. Dont listen to the nay sayers! Educate yourself, save up, and then decide what you want to do. Cant go wrong with nitrous really, just do it right. You can do a header and other small power mods later.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i ran a highly complex system on my old but it worked well im telling you in the end n2o does less damage and putts lesss load on the motor and if you really want to make it safe run a fic retard the timing a little then your spot on
Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 AM
SL Member

I don't know about N20 putting less stress on an engine and trans. I would say the opposite especially looking at dynos of various cars using it. It is not a Fast the the Furious hit but there is a jolt of power that shocks stresses the engine and trans. You are putting a big load on the engine when you engage the n2o.

If you are looking for power to have all the time then n2o is not it, it is great for burst of power in straights at the track but for a daily driver I wouldn't touch it. It starts out cheap but if you really use it it can add up quick.

Also a turbo doesn't take power to make power.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Lol you dont want to add a turbo because you don't want to risk anything but you want nitrous?

To be honest, I don't think a header will satisfy your needs. Save up for a supercharger.
My original plan was to add the TRD SC when the price dropped closer to the TC SC price but that won't happen now that TRD has stopped making them. It's simply not worth ~$4000 to me and neither is a turbo. As for NOS vs turbo, it isn't that I think a turbo carries more risk than NOS, it's that a turbo costs 3-4x as much. IMO, the 25-50hp shot I was considering would be pretty safe. If I spent $4000 on a turbo, I'd want a lot more than 50hp from it and then the risk of damaging engine internals and drivetrain go up.

NOS, done properly should be very safe. I've never heard much about Luftwaffe and RAF aircraft dropping out of the sky due to NOS induced engine failures.