Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

something i been working on..portable media player (pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:32 AM
SL Member

Default something i been working on..portable media player (pics!)

so i've had my xb for about a month now. i've done a lot of reading on this site and met some very friendly users...i have finally finished modding my ICE and moving onto the exterior when i get some more money.

Everything that is in my car now came from my previous car that was totalled when i was inside the house...some a-hole smashed my parked car and took off in the middle of the night...

i have an pioneer avic d3 and don't have an ipod (no need for one). and i know the d3 only has one slot for the nav disc or cd or dvd, whichever you feel like using at the time. To me, this was a huge hassle. so i did research on ways i could get around this inconvenience. and i found my solution. the avox jukebox.

encasing for my 120gig laptop hd and acts as a usb flash drive when taken out. files my music, photos, movies, into easy to manage categories.

now, im no idiot and watch movies while im driving and stuff. the music plays while in nav mode just fine and i can control the music using the remote, which is nice that i don't have to reach out and change tracks.

i use the movies and stuff when im waiting to pick someone up or show up early to an event. you def don't want to get caught driving with something playing in the front...you will get into some major ish for that!

fits perfectly in the glove and is pretty clean looking

uses av cables that plug directly behind the d3 and i also have an IR extender that sits next to the blank spot near the ignition so i can use the remote and keeping everything out of site. i am getting power from the 12v cig lighter that i spliced so i can still charge my cellphone or other things if need be. got the spare cig lighter from advanced auto parts for $8

you can see the tabs that are easily read.

ron burgundy ftw!!

cannonball

no more memory nav! cd is always in the drive and i never need to take it out.

some of the movies that are on the drive. music is assorted the same way.

anyways...i received a lot of help from various ppl on the site and i just wanted to come back and show what i've been able to do on my own as opposed to paying a shop to do it.

Enjoy!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks nice.. it's great having access to all your music/movies like that.. i have my zune in the scion cupholder/ipod holder now and wish i could do something like i had in my mazda3...

i notched out the lid for my ashtray since i never used it and slid my zune dock into it.. plugged the a/v jacks in the back of my unit and controlled it from the zune remote... it's nice having album art on the screen opposed to a blank screen or having to look at 2 seperate things.. with no center console below the radio there's not a good spot to mount the dock for remote access =\
Old 03-31-2009, 04:58 AM
SL Member

yea..i mean the album art doesn't really make or break it for me. im just glad that i can have all my stuff in one place. i know if i went with an ipod, movies will probably not be able to be played and tho it's not necessary, it's nice to have it. and using a remote makes it very easy to control
Old 03-31-2009, 02:59 PM
SL Member

gotta give shout outs to bego and megaman for giving me a walk thru for some of the DIY stuff

just want your opinion on what you guys think!!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:45 AM
SL Member

That looks really good. I'm thinking of doing sort of the same thing with an in car computer. I have a nice MacMini that should do the trick. Kudos for some nice work.

-JB
Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 PM
SL Member

thanks man...

yea..let me know how it goes and i def wanna see it when ur done