Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

annoying sound coming from speakers...need some help

Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 PM
SL Member

Default annoying sound coming from speakers...need some help

Hey guys, need some help

so i have my avic d3 hooked up to a laptop hd using av cables that plug into the back of the HU. I also have subs and amp connected as well.

I used the laptop hd on the av1 output so i can listen to music and movies...but when it is not on, i get this loud whirring sound whenever i accelerate.

it's hard to mimic the noise but it almost sounds like a high pitched dremmel sound when i hit the gas. when im going 10-15mph i can't hear it, but when i hit like 35-60 mph it gets quite annoying. granted i almost always have music playing, but when i don't the noise is MADDENING...

i went ahead to radio shack and i bought this

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062214

it's meant to do this:

Eliminate the electrical noise and hum caused by ground loops with this ground loop isolator.

* Eliminate electrical noise from audio lines
* Installs in-line between head unit and equalizer or amplifier input
* 1/8"-jack adapter for use with portable CD player

however, i put it in to the sub preouts in the back of the unit and it still made the annoying noise. i flipped around the plugs justincase...same thing

then i went ahead and plugged it into the jacks for the av cables that were attached to teh laptop drive and that didn;t work either...

any audio guys have any advice? i was hoping this would work...it seemed to answer my problems perfectly...cept that it still...don't work...SHET...

thanks fellas
Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Check and see if you power wire is anywhere near the RCA wires you will pick up engine noise. In a sub amp you wont pick it up as much.

If you dont have a 4 Ch amp then its something with the RCAs connected from the laptop to the radio. You need better rcas or one of them in bad.

Ground Loops are horrible to eliminate

Another way to it increase your volume and decrease your output volume from laptop. or vise versa
Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
SL Member

hmm...well they all plug into the back of the unit so it will be hard to keep the wires apart...thats what im thinking...
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check your grounds. the most likely problem. also, pioneer's are notorious for noise through the outputs. suppodedly you have to ground those as well from what i've read online from others who've had that problem.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:55 PM
SL Member

ya jay you need to try and seperate the wires as much as possible and if that doesnt help then try the ground loop isolater.. do you get the alternator wind when playing all the other sources such as fm, am and cd or what?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i noticed you have a pioneer.. if you plugged or unplugged any rca's while it was on then you more than likely popped the ground trace on the rca's inside the unit.. pioneers are bad for that... otherwise try a different set of jacks.. like av2.. but you will probably still get some noise.. try another cable.. better quality..

power wire next to rca's is not totally true... as long as all your grounds are correct and your equipment is fine you will be good.. i zip tied my 0 gauge power wire to my 4 channel and 2 channel rca's in my older car to show people that wasn't what caused the engine noise..

but run a new stronger ground to your radio and then run a wire from the ground on your amps to the ground on your headunit..
Old 05-15-2009, 04:44 PM

if none of that works get a capacitor, it will store the power that your altenator is pumping out to your system, and that noise can be traced through the ground of your car... altenators that are stock usually dont make enough power to run everything that people put in there cars...
Old 05-15-2009, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but a capacitor doesn't "create" more amps for the car..

a lot of people get bad noise issues when using a laptop, or xbox, ps2/ps3, anything like that... especially when using a power inverter.. might want to look around on mp3car.com and read on their forums to get some alternate solutions..
Old 05-15-2009, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's a troubleshoot.. plug ANYTHING else into the input you're using on the pioneer.. let it be an ipod.. any kind of mp3 player.. do you get the same noise?

if no

swap the cable.. try another cable.. does the noise go away?

if no

it's coming from the laptop.. i see you said a laptop hd.. what are you using for the laptop hd? 2.5" hdds don't come with a video output.. are you using a laptop specifically? or some other casing to read the files and output them through a jack?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same problem except mine happens only sometimes, so i upgraded to monster competition cables and it still does it but now its constant. but its very low. im gonna try grounding the radio even tho its grounded to the car frame with the 4 mounting screws. all my cables are run separate from everything, eg: speaker wires, power wire, rca's, remote.