Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Thoughts on security systems for xB?(other than factory sys)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Thoughts on security systems for xB?(other than factory sys)

Someone tried to use a coathanger to get into my box...its time to get an alarm system that actually works. (jerks even left the coat hanger on the ground next to the car afterwards).

in your opinion, whats the best after-market alarm system out there?

i have been looking at vipers and cliffords 2-way systems that transmit info to the receiver. im a bit weary having someone tamper with my baby...as far as installation goes. suggestions on where to get an alarm installed without paying dealership prices would also be helpful.

thoughts?

<3 Chelle
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your best bet would be LoJack. They'll probably try and come back for it again since they failed once.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ocrida
They'll probably try and come back for it again since they failed once.
which is why i tore out the shelving in my barely one car garage and park it inside every night...i sleep better knowing it is under lock and key AND has another car parked against the garage door in the drive way.

yes, i am that paranoid.

i still worry about parking lots though, especially on campus at my university. which is why i would prefer to have a new system.

it is redicuous how much i love this car.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tell me about it.

When I go out to lunch during work I'll try and park close to the windows so when i'm eating i can look at it and come up with new ideas for it or just admire my artwork. (seriously i do) but im done with mine for now i built it for street since its my daily driver and i can still compete in street/mild categories at shows. so im happy =)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am using the VIPER 5901 system and i like it. its expandable to a lot of functions and gives me peace of mind..

the auto-start was useful during the winter to get the engine warmed up and now in the summer its useful to have the AC going before i get in the car! the installers hooked the remote up to my air-system and i can air up/down remotely. the screen helps cause it tells me its locked/unlocked/autostarted/headlight on/off.

even if you dont need all the functions at least with any 2way alarm with a with screen will tell you intrusion, lock/unlock, etc
Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 PM
SL Member

DEI seems to have bought up the majority of the alarm makers. I know a few people with DEis and they are quite happy. If you stay with a major brand you'll be good.

-JB
Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

LoJack!!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just make it as stock and plain as possible
Old 10-04-2009, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How reliable are Viper (or any other systems) in the long run? I'm looking into some kind of an alarm since my box was broken into and thieves tried stealing my HU but stopped half way. On average, how long does it cost for a shop to install one and how long will it take?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had my Viper 5900 (2-way, 1 mile) installed with shock sensor, glass break, and piezoelectric "pain generator" under the dash for $600. Took two hours. The main thing to consider when getting an alarm is the shop. A good shop will hide all the wires and put them into split-loom where they can't be hidden. Exposed wires makes it easy for a thief to figure out what to cut. A good shop will also guarantee their work. My shop has a lifetime warranty on their install. Viper, Clifford, Python are all DEI brands and have virtually the same alarms available, just with different names and different color remotes.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Looney
Just make it as stock and plain as possible
No doubt sage advice, but unfortunately, kind of a middle-of-the-road result !
Old 10-06-2009, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pinkmustard21
Someone tried to use a coathanger to get into my box...its time to get an alarm system that actually works.
As an OE security system owner, I'm curious as to what the problem is -- I'm guessing you also have one?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 PM
SL Member

I was going to ask that, what is wrong with the OEM Scion Security System?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just wire up a little LED to blink every 2 seconds lol
Old 10-06-2009, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no security system in the car from the factory. Even the basic starter kill if the door is opened without a key/fob is missing.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:00 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by AndreyCo
There is no security system in the car from the factory. Even the basic starter kill if the door is opened without a key/fob is missing.
There is a Scion Security System that you pay extra for at your dealership. Ask your dealership in Sacramento, there was one here at Walnut Creek Toyota Scion.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Near as I can tell, the Scion Security System that the dealer installs merely adds on a glass breaking sound sensor to the cabin. If there's anything more to it than that that anyone here knows about, I'd love to hear more.

I'm looking to get a viper system installed. remote engine start + alarm for basically the same price as the sss from the dealer.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:57 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by onions
Near as I can tell, the Scion Security System that the dealer installs merely adds on a glass breaking sound sensor to the cabin. If there's anything more to it than that that anyone here knows about, I'd love to hear more.

I'm looking to get a viper system installed. remote engine start + alarm for basically the same price as the sss from the dealer.
Agreed though, an aftermarket Security system is a better investment.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by onions

It also provides the basic checking so someone can't simply reach into the car and unlock it manually (or release the hood) while the system is armed (at least, not without firing the alarm system -- and it resets afterwards). No, it doesn't include tilt or impact sensors, though a moderately sensitive setting on the "glass break sensor" will detect a fair amount of abuse . (My lawnmower is capable of setting it off.)

Last edited by TrevorS; 10-07-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:55 AM

Even though I have LoJack, I'm also interested in getting an alarm system installed. LoJack is great for recovering a stolen vehicle, but won't alert you if your car is broken into. I'm more worried about someone stealing my stereo, GPS, and radar detector when I'm parked at work than I am about someone stealing the car.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on security systems for xB?(other than factory sys)