Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Phoenix Gold TLD 66 Line Driver benifits???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Phoenix Gold TLD 66 Line Driver benifits???

As the title says what are the benefits of running a Phoenix Gold TLD 66 Line Driver? To my understanding it increases the voltage of the signal and creates a cleaner signal also allowing for an over all louder system.

Would something like this help resolve the issue of distortion at higher volumes? I currently am running the stock HU and get aweful distortion at volumes 2/3 or higher. I am running an alphasonik pma4150 through 2 sets of audiobahn 600c component sets and a arc audio 2500xxk to two RE SE12s. Aything over 23's volume just sounds like poop. I mean it gets really loud and all, but I'd preffer it too sound much cleaner.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds more like a tuning issue. you might have the gains set too high on the amps.

the stock headunit is pretty limited. you might want to try adding an eq instead. you can scoop up a clarion one for like $50 on ebay. you'll get a lot of the same benefits of the line driver like increased pre amp voltage but you'll be able to make specific adjustments to the sound as well. i use one in conjunction with my pioneer d3 and i'm very satisfied with the results.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not to be rude.. but i've never.. ever.. heard an audiobahn component set sound good.. might want to try another component set..

but you could always try tuning the amps.. making sure the speakers aren't out of phase.. switch the + and - on 1 set of speakers at the output of the amp.. then turn the volume up.. turn the subs off.. and compare the differences.. see if one sounds better than the other.. having a speaker out of phase makes a huge difference
Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah yeah I know audibahn sucks. I picked them up for very cheap, couldnt resist the urge at the time to get everything all hooked up I'm looking into replacing them with some re xxx comps. Just worried I will over power them with 240rms a channel. Although I'm betting that with the quality of them and the amp being over rated, it should be fine.
I will have to check the + and - thing, I'd hope that wasn't the issue because I had a reputable shop install everything. They had the car for a long time too. I will try to turn down the gain first. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah anyone have any luck with speaker baffles? I've ee curius to give those a try.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bought some and they didn't do anything.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1vicissitude
Oh yeah anyone have any luck with speaker baffles? I've ee curius to give those a try.
We used to use them at my old install shop just to keep water off the components, but we'd cut the bottom half out of them. Reason being, door speakers are usually designed for "infinite baffle" (to use the entire door as an enclosure) and putting them in a tiny sealed space made the bass sound like crap. They'd literally make popping sounds as though they were reaching their suspension limits...