Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

FACTORY REMOTE START SHUTS CAR OFF

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Default FACTORY REMOTE START SHUTS CAR OFF

Anyone run into this issue, I love the remote start feature, but Toyota Scion did not tell me that this factory unit works great until you get to the car and open the door. Opening the door shuts the car off, kinda dumb if you ask me, other remote start systems allow you to open with the key and insert key and turn to the on position without the car shuting down.

Anybody have this problem, I would have never bought this super expensive option if this was disclosed.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have the remote start but this might be helpful...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...t=remote+start

I thought people used remote starts for cold weather. Do you use yours to run the A/C in Arizona?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats how the factory remote start works. There was a thread a few months back that tried to find a way around it, not sure if they had any success
Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 AM

Yes, I use it to get my car nice and cool or cooler, since its the blackberry crush.
The dealer called me to tell me that no fix is available for this remote start issue. I told him what I have to do to get my money back cause I dont want it like that. I could of gotten a lot better aftermarket with roll up/down windows for probably less that that. His response was I will talk to the sale manager about it so we can get you a better unit that does what you need. Hopefully its that easy, told them Im not coming back with the rental until its fixed to my SAT.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wish you luck!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well...they did that so that your car won't get stolen dude. the car is sitting there running, somebody pops open the door and takes off leaving you to sit like a chump.

the other part is that, say you start the car, and then try to leave without your keys, and drive off, arrive at your destination, and now have no way to shut your car off unless you pull a fuse or disconnect the battery, but now you can't restart it until somebody brings you your key?

sure there are other systems that can do more, but i think this quirk in toyota's system is just trying to keep owner's from making boneheads outta themselves and keeping themselves from frustrating themselves.

so the car turns off when you open the door, cry me a river, i have an 05 manual and putting remote start in it really isn't feasible, so i gotta endure cold morning starts all winter long.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
the other part is that, say you start the car, and then try to leave without your keys, and drive off, arrive at your destination, and now have no way to shut your car off unless you pull a fuse or disconnect the battery, but now you can't restart it until somebody brings you your key?
LOL.... Are you serious??

How can you leave without your keys when you need the key in the ignition to take the car out of park?

Once you push the brake pedal the car shuts down in a better remote start.

So unless you have a push button start in your car and you are within a certain amount of feetfrom the remote, your car is not going far.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most other remote starts will stop the car when you push the brake pedal. I suppose a thief could pop the door, hold the over ride button, shift into a gear and start driving, but the car would still shut down as soon as he hit the breaks, I doubt he would get far. On top of that, most car starters are part of an alarm system. If the alarm is triggered, the cur shuts off.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with my viper, you have to put the key in the ignition, turn to run, then tap the break pedal, or the remote start shuts off....
i can open the doors, play with radio, roll down windows, mess with a/c heat, etc, but as soon as i press the clutch or dis-engage the parking break, the engine dies unless i have first turned key to run, and tapped the break pedal. there is no way to move the car otherwise w/o the key.. there is no "overide button", the "valet button" doesn't overide the alarm's auto start saftey/anti theft features".
i would be very unhappy if i had a remote start alarm that shut the car off when i opened the door, only to have to re-start the car when i got in...
kinda defeats the purpose of having a remote start, where is the convienience in having to start your car twice?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Pull your door trigger pin out problem solved.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the override i'm talking about is for the gear shifter. generally you can't shift gears without the key in ON and the brake pedal depressed...but you can also pop out a little plastic cover near your gear shifter and push the button inside, that allows you to shift.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:05 PM

I really aprecialt all of the responses. I received a call yesterday from Toyota/Scion rep that told me this is how it is supposed to work and that was it, told her my other cars don't do this and would have never spent $1000.00 for this mediocre alarm/remote start that defeats the original purpose. Told her if you can't fix it get me someone who can and if in the End it can't be done, "SIMPLE SOLUTION" give me my $$ back..She says she will note it and have a Director of Service/Engineer call me by end of day, 5/8/09, with a solution to include my other issue that is posted.

Please check other post and let me know what you think on that.

thanks everyone!!