Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

FACTORY HEADREST DVD ENTERTAINMENT

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:29 PM

Default FACTORY HEADREST DVD ENTERTAINMENT

Ok, this will sound stupid but here goes, 2nd time I have taken this to the dealer. I got the rear headrest dvds only because they are covered by the warranty. They installed them and they work great, but when reclining the seats they do not return or retract back to the upright position. The dealer states that this happens to the seats when the dvd system are installed. I think this is the biggest lie and need some insight, since they just run wires and swap out the head rest monitors. I told the service advisor that if put the original headrests back in will make the seats retract correctly.

Please shed some light.[/b]
Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reason the seats dont retract back up with the head rest monitors instsalled is because of the added weight, and change in center of gravity in the seat backs. What you were told is not a lie, it's simple physics.. The spring isn't stong enough to pull the seats back up on thier own with the monitors installed. There is no spring tention adjustment either, you just have to tap the seat backs with your hand and help em on the way up, or remove the head rest monitors, and get regular headrests.
you have to ask yourself, do you want to be able to watch the occasional movie and help the seats up if you recline em, or would you rather not be able to watch movies in the car, and have the seats retracct freely on their own?
purely a matter of taste on your part, there really is no "win win" for this issue..
Old 05-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Default HEADREST MONITORS AND DVDS

Originally Posted by IH8ONYU
The reason the seats dont retract back up with the head rest monitors instsalled is because of the added weight, and change in center of gravity in the seat backs. What you were told is not a lie, it's simple physics.. The spring isn't stong enough to pull the seats back up on thier own with the monitors installed. There is no spring tention adjustment either, you just have to tap the seat backs with your hand and help em on the way up, or remove the head rest monitors, and get regular headrests.
you have to ask yourself, do you want to be able to watch the occasional movie and help the seats up if you recline em, or would you rather not be able to watch movies in the car, and have the seats retracct freely on their own?
purely a matter of taste on your part, there really is no "win win" for this issue..

Are you kidding me? Simple Physics? Don't want to offend you and hope that I don't but I was never told about this BS. It's the Dealer/Toyota's responsibility to notify or disclose this to its consumers if what you say is the TRUTH. I don't buy it cause my other cars don't have this problem and if it was mentioned I would have gotten a flipdown and case closed.
I will not settle for 2nd rate BS and Toyota will make this right, I am fully confident in this as I was called by Toyota Rep yesterday 5/7/09 and was told that an Toyota Engineer would call me by the end of day 5/8/09. I simply stated if your going to charge someone to $1500.00 for a product that breaks (in my opinion) the seats. Why would you compromise your integrity as a company, Besides, they give you the seat headreast and they weigh about 1lb. more that they originally did without them.

Thanks for your insight though, but physic and logic are 2 different things.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those must be some heavy headrests... my old car did not have this problem.. nor have the 25+ vehicles i've put headrests monitors in.. this scion seat will slap you in the face if you release the lever and are facing it.. i don't see how a few pounds could prevent that...

unless this seat really is that weak.. can others with the factory installed scion headrests post on here so we can know for sure? does anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my oem seats on my 09 does not even come back after i recline it....could it be a defect?.....it's been doing that since day one!!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 PM

Mine doesn't come back up either. And mine is base, bone stock, no "added weight" from monitors.

I think this is a defect in design, if anyone have any solution, please do post it.

Peter
Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine dont come back up once ive reclined.
i have the dvd headrests and i always figured that they were the culprit
Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i went to the dealer for that and they said that it is with in spec, that is the exact term they used.....I said skrew that cause I need it to be like all the other cars on the road today...i don't want to keep pulling the back up everytime that i adjust the seat....it is especially a pain in the butt when you valet the car and the drivers fiddle with the adjustments and you have to put it back to your liking......This car is a pos....the longer I have it the more I realize they cheaped out on alot of things!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:18 PM

Sorry, it has been awhile. I have been quite busy and just realized that I did not post my findings with Toyota/Scion. I was told by Toyota that this is a problem with the seat spring or leaver that has been found to be a problem, even prior to installing headrest monitors. I was told that Toyota engineers are working on the situation as they came to know of this issue early this year 2009 (if i remember they said Feb.) But, was told they have no immediate fix for it and no current ETA on when it will be resolved. Which, leaves me to believe that not many owners have complained about this. I also was told that, since i have filed this complaint, it has placed in my vehicles file with them that in the event this breaks or my warranty expires that they will cover it with or without warranty. SO PEOPLE CONTACT TOYOTA/SCION and complain about it, here is the phone # and link.

For future reference please contact the Scion Customer Experience directly at http://www.scion.com/#contactUs or by phone at 866-70-SCION (866-707-2466).
Old 06-14-2009, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry, but you guys sound like whiny babies. Darn, I have an awesome DVD entertainment system in my car. Shoot, now I have to pull the seat up myself. Oh the humanity.

I find that ABSOLUTELY OKAY! I mean, you get a sweet car for a pretty low price with tons of features. I don't mind having manual seat controls or pulling the seat up if I need to. Honestly, how often do you have your car valet parked? If you had it often, surely you could afford a better car that has stronger springs that can propel you out your front windshield. My point is that if you have to adjust it often because you're valet parking all the time, then maybe you should consider a different car if it is a problem to you.

Besides, now Toyota is aware of this problem. If you're that concerned with it, they'll take care of it for you, as per DTODO's post.

My seat does not retract up (at least I don't think it does), and I don't have a DVD headrest system installed simply because I'm the only one in the box.

But I've driven many cars before that don't have these automatic seat things (I'm talking 70's cars), so I have no qualms approaching another vehicle that does not have that convenience spring.