Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help with Sirius and Ipod adapter install

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help with Sirius and Ipod adapter install

Hey there guys and gals,

I'm trying to get my Sirius ECL-SC1 and iPod iPC-106 connected to my Eclipse AVN6620, but not sure where to get power from for both of them. Should I run a power wire from the battery to them, and if so, can I connect them both to the same wire? Or, is there somewhere in the dash I can get power from? Also, should they be grounded to seperate spots, or can I use the same ground for both? I've installed head units with no problem, but I've never dealt with the need to power anything else.

Both components have power cables with a fuse attached to them.

Since this is new to me, I'm the type that needs a little bit of hand holding to "get it". Visual aids work best, and I did use the search last night which helped with the PKB and REV wire hook ups.

The head unit came with a free hands free kit, but I haven't tried to do anything with that yet. I'm probably going to have another issue there??

Any help is appreciated!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, I've got a potential solution. A friend just mentioned that I could probably tap into the accessory plug with both units. We did a quick test to figure out which wire was the positive so I'm going to plan to wire both units there.

If anyone disagrees with this please let me know.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they should've had instructions with them...

you can tap them into the radio harness that gives the radio power.. you need to figure out if they both need constant or accessory power.. if they need constant and you give them accessory then you will lose the settings everytime you turn the car off.. they can be grounded at the radio harness as well to the ground in the harness
Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, there were instructions, but they were simple and said to take it to the battery. I figured there was something I could do to avoid that, and I found it.

I did find out that they needed constant power. The Sirius tuner would lose the presets on it, so I ended up tapping into the radio harness. My wife forgot to bring her iPod home so I wasn't able to test it.

Like I said in the OP, this was completely new to me so I wasn't very confident in my ability to get it done, but I have prevailed!

Thanks for info Slody4Futbol!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no problem.. yeah if the wires are small and the fuse is small *which is usually common in add-ons for aftermarket radios* then you can tap power at the radio harness.. if it says take it to the battery, then just tap your constant.. if you feel uncomfortable at the radio harness, you could always tap into your ignition harness, fuse box, or run a wire *through a grommet* to the battery and fuse it as close to the battery as possible