Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Brake Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brake Rotor Question

What's the difference when it comes Durability, long life, and performance: Drilled, Slotted, Drilled and Slotted combo?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

none of the above drilled slotted can crack
Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is some info on brake rotors...

http://blog.nurspec.com/
Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is there a 2 piece for the xb?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 PM

Watch out for those cheap china rotors that i've seen on ebay and craigs list. They suck and will crack and warp under hard driving conditions. Many of them are not to factory spec and will preform like crap. Save your self the time and frustration and buy name brand brakes...
Old 07-18-2009, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been looking at upgrading my rotors too and what mnscionxb said is pretty much true. Even some of the well known companies seem to have problems with their drill or slotted rotors. I am inclined to believe that PART of the problem MAY be the use of very aggressive brake pads and abusive braking. I did find some rotors that seem to have very good reviews on tirerack.com. The ATE PremiumOne slotted rotors.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...+Slotted+Rotor
ATE makes very good brake parts like Brembo and my old Volvo had ATE brakes on it. If you read the reviews on the tirerack.com note those that are using non aggressive pads seem to have almost no complaints. Those that use aggressive pads like the Hawk pads complain about many things. Akebono makes some very good street and HP street brake pads that seem to work well with these rotors. The xB is not meant to be a race car so sticking with a good street or a HP street brake pad will give you the best all around performance. The very high performance pads usually need to warm up some to give you good braking and then tend to be very hard on rotors and produce a lot of brake dust. I went to ATE's website and found out that they only make rotors for the front of the xB2 as of right now. The part number is, CW25714. I am going to email them tomorrow and see if I can find out about rotors for the rear. From what I can tell their rotors are about $90 each.
Al
Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check these out i ran these dimpled and slotted on my xa for 160,000 miles problem free no pad change during that time all running miles down I95 dc northern va area and much breaking lucky maybe but i warped the factories rite off and the expensive set from napa both warped in no time

http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...72809&ad=yahoo

the slot on these is cut all the way to the outside no gas or dust trapped and the dippeling is not completely drilled thru the rotor can take much more heat but i can only tell ya my experience with these ill swap them on my xb 2 when the factories byte the bullet which wont be long the right side has a slight warp already

this websight can educate u on brakes very much
rotora no thanx
ebay i think not
napa nooooooooo
factory rotors lol no
dont think u can beat the price on these anywhere and they have the rotors for the back brakes also
lifetime warranty not to warp or crack with free pads and shipping included

and when they need to be turned is ur first Q? i wouldnt know 160,000 miles problem free what else can i say

Last edited by mustb3ds; 08-07-2009 at 11:17 PM.