Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Wet Floor after Rain, Pass Rear, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wet Floor after Rain, Pass Rear, anyone else?

Well, got 3k on it and started smelling a slight musty smell. I did a good vaccume and cleaning and noticed the carpet was wet on the Passenger side rear floor board.
I know windows have been up, it has been raining a lot around here.

Anyone else have this problem, we have it scheduled to be looked at Thursday.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-09-2019 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you checked your weather stripping?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yeah, definitely check the weather stripping. I have about 3k on mine as well, and recently just noticed water on the inside of my hatch window, which led me to notice a wet spot on the carpet. Turns out there's a huge piece of weather stripping (3 inches) that looks like it was torn out. I took it to the dealership, and they're going to replace it. Just waiting for the part to come in.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also check out under the car, there are several "plugs" that could be loose.
-nick
Old 06-18-2009, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would also suggest checking the plastic stripping on the door sill. Inside the actual door, water that gets in will trickle to the bottom and drain out through a tiny hole at the base. When the door is closed, the base is directly over your door sill. Perhaps, if there is too much water inside your door, there might be buildup. And if this plastic stripping on your door sill is not locked in all the way, loose, etc., then it might have extra water come into your cabin and thus, on your carpet.

But that is just conjecture of course. I had to put that out there as well. I'd rather smell the mold, though. My box smells like fish and glue after all the generic sound dampening I did to it.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well my wife took the car up to scion to have it looked at. They said that something was deformed so it didn't seal well. So they ordered the part/s. They also claim that they are going to take out the rear carpet and (not sure if its dry or replace) the padding underneath. Not real big about them tearing the new car apart, it better go back together perfect and no scratches. I'm going to go up there and talk with them to see exactly what they will be doing to the car. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good luck hope it goes well.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well I'm just squaring up this post for people who might find it later. The rear passenger side door weather stripping shows a light unusual look rubbed off if you pulled it away from the door directly above the vertical bar that separates the front and rear (small) window on the door. They claimed that the vertical bar itself was defective and bent.

To repair the issue they had to remove both windows from the door, and replace the front and rear (small) window weather stripping that surrounds these windows. They also had to replace the metal vertical metal bar that separates these windows. This piece continues into the door past the visual part.

The experience:
It took 2 full days to do this because they had to remove the carpeting and dry to remove and prevent mold from the leak. Not really happy about all that stuff being removed but what are you going to do. They gave us a Yaris 4 door which was OK, rather tried the camery or prius but oh well. My windows on that door were scratched pretty bad ( aftermarket tint) and the car was not that clean, could see fingerprints on the inside and outside on the paint and interior, there was a bit of dusty foam substance that most likely came from the insulation under the carpet, over the DS door and floor interior, they slightly scrached the paint around the window that they had to remove.

All in all I showed and explained to the manager of the issues I noticed and mentioned that i was dissapointed and felf the car was rushed. He seemed very very sincere and dissapointed him self, we dropped the car off for a half and and they "detailed" the interior very well, gave us money to have my windows done by our guy, and gave me a voture for free touch up paint. He offered that he will do whatever he can to get me the best price on anything I need for the car. I was a bit dissapointed still but he did do a good and beliveable job of showing me he was truely sorry.

so that's my story.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wow.
I'm completely shocked as to how they cared enough to detail your car, give you money to replace your tint, etc.

That's unheard of.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought that they would have used the traditional phrases I love hearing: "[that] was already there" or "we couldn't find anything wrong with [it]". My favorite is number two. I love hearing that one.

All-in-all, glad that your dealership got you taken care of, but disappointed that they boggled the repair process. I'm about ready to bring in my car for service for some problems I noticed with it and I'm worried that I might get the car back in similar condition.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well I feel I came across very direct, professional, and educational. At least that was my goal, I've been messing with cars for over 10 years always doing everything myself from oil changes to camshafts. I was persistent about the window money, I didn't want them to have different tint coloring shades, or one window over time fades purple and the other brown. So I made sure they gave me money for that repair. All in all, the dealer ship is called Pappa's Toyota here in st. Louis MO. I have been really impressed with there attention and courtesy. So as far as my first service went, I was disappointed with the work (rushed) mostly because they didn't tell me that they scratched the crap out of my tint. But they did make a very solid attempt to make up for thier mistake.

after reading your responses I guess I should still feel lucky to have a decent dealer.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well all dealerships will service customers differently. I'm sure that if I had inefficient, bungling service, then I would complain. But I am grateful that they replace/service most problems I come across.

I'm bringing in my car to find out why the car is jolting whenever it's changing gears in the automatic transmission. It usually does it in first or second gear and it happens whenever I accelerate from a start or even if I'm slowing down. Not to mention, I want to see if they can explain why my box is always squeaking whenever I turn, slow down, accelerate, etc.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let us know what your problem was, just throwing a guess out there maybe Trany/motor mount, and turning possibly might be sway bar endlinks. Just a guess keep us posted, bummer we're having issues. I guess it happens to every one.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to see if I can set up an appointment to get it looked at on Monday after I get out of class. Hopefully it's fixable because I really can't stand those squeaks and the jolts. Also, my a/c is a pos. I swear that it runs hard and shakes the cabin from time to time when it's really hot outside.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck with the stealership
Old 08-31-2009, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I just got my car looked at today and here are the results:

The control arm was loose on the box, so they tightened it up and it no longer jolts when changing gears or decelerating. As for the A/C, they say that all Scions are like that, so perhaps all of you out there are familiar with what I'm talking about - the obnoxiously loud a/c that shakes the car when idling. Until Toyota posts a TSB about it, they won't do anything for me. Said it was the compressor or something like that.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:25 PM

Default Same problem in my 2012 tC

Originally Posted by csmonte
Well, got 3k on it and started smelling a slight musty smell. I did a good vaccume and cleaning and noticed the carpet was wet on the Passenger side rear floor board. I know windows have been up, it has been raining a lot around here.

Anyone else have this problem, we have it scheduled to be looked at Thursday.
I've had the same problem. Turned out to be an ac hose disconnection causing water to leak into the car rather than drain to the outside.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:48 PM
SL Member

Default Cracked floor pan seal may be the issue, check under carriage?

I found a floor pan seal, that was cracked, it is some type of weird wide weld, but looks like tape of sort, mine was cracked.
Rear Driver's side was soaked and smelly now sealing forward to driver front.

So I will patch it and dry out the carpet after treating with Lysol. Update in a week or so if I get the chance.

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-27-2019 at 05:59 PM.