Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

HELP! Air trapped in cooling system?

Old 06-19-2009, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HELP! Air trapped in cooling system?

I installed a new thermostat and can't seem to replace all the coolant I drained. I drained about a gallon and put back 1/2 gal. I've squeezed both radiator lines, cycled hot to cold several times, opened the drain at the thermostat and opened the overflow line at the highest point in the cooling system but I can't seem to get the air out. I took a short test drive and the engine overheated. When I got home the overflow tank was still full. I've tried everything I can think of but I need help. I miss the good old radiator caps and air bleed valves...

FWIW, the new thermostat is a Stant 170F with no jiggle valve. I wanted to drill a small hole at 12 o'clock but forgot to do it before installing it. TIA
Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nevermind... I was hoping for some shortcut but short of a vacuum purge, my best bet is probably to remove the thermostat and drill the air purge hole I forgot when I installed it. Thanks to Stant for selling an air-tight thermostat to replace a jiggle-valve thermostat on a car with no air bleed valve or radiator cap.

BTW, the turbo is on finally and I'm finishing things up today. I'll post more in the CXR Turbo thread when I have time.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

want to know how to fix this?drive hard swerve and red line the baby lol
Old 06-23-2009, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
want to know how to fix this?drive hard swerve and red line the baby lol
Now you tell me?!?! Thanks a lot...
Old 06-23-2009, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a over heating problem well not a problem my problem is my car likes to run hot it runs like 200-220 sometimes higher wheen the ac is on in traffic then i get moving it kinda goes down i run 4 fans to this is due to my lack of factory fans
Old 06-23-2009, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
i have a over heating problem well not a problem my problem is my car likes to run hot it runs like 200-220 sometimes higher wheen the ac is on in traffic then i get moving it kinda goes down i run 4 fans to this is due to my lack of factory fans
Oem thermostat? I noticed that the Stant 170F stat I installed has a slightly larger diameter opening and opens further than the oem stat. Increased coolant flow might help. Back in the day I removed the stat assembly and just use the stat plate as a restrictor on my 396 that ran hot. It helped a lot in summer but I didn't get much heat in winter.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take off coolant cap, put heater to full blast, let idle for about 30 minutes. That should do it. Works on all the cars Ive worked on.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Take off coolant cap, put heater to full blast, let idle for about 30 minutes. That should do it. Works on all the cars Ive worked on.
The only reason I can think of to explain why that didn't work is because of the replacement pipe for the driver's side (return) radiator hose that comes with the CXR kit. On the oem hose the overflow is up high but on the CXR pipe, it's down low near the bottom of the rad. I had to let it idle for 30 minutes, let it cool down and repeat several times before I got all the air out. Next time I'll get a vacuum cap for the overflow tank and suck the coolant in from the radiator drain.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gotcha
Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member

Hi All,
I am really having problems on this same subject matter. After filling the radiator and the cooling tank to the proper levels and closing off both caps, I cranked car, ran at 2000 rpms for less than 2 minutes, the coolant started shooting out the coolant tank vent and in that short period of time, it is already over heating. I have changed the waterpump and the thermostat. What would make the car overheat that quickly?
Thanks for your help,
Tam in Tampa
Old 11-18-2013, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

click link and follow proper bleeding of air in the coolant system

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190129
Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06scioxb

Thanks! I appreciate it. Hopefully it will work.
Tam in Tampa
Old 11-22-2013, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default Still stumped on this XD

Originally Posted by 06scioxb

We did all of the following. Changed the water pump and the thermostat. Bled the air out of the cooling system. Car is better but nor fixed. Now it doesn't completely overheat. Drove for 15 minutes and there was steam coming out of the vent tank. It's not pouring the fluid out like it was and the gauges don't say it is overheating but the steam is there and you can hear the bubbling in the radiator. There is not a valve on the block like in the picture so I am not sure how he bled the air out. So frustrated this has been going on for days now. Any ideas?
Thanks
Tam in Tampa
Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tamsturn
We did all of the following. Changed the water pump and the thermostat. Bled the air out of the cooling system. Car is better but nor fixed. Now it doesn't completely overheat. Drove for 15 minutes and there was steam coming out of the vent tank. It's not pouring the fluid out like it was and the gauges don't say it is overheating but the steam is there and you can hear the bubbling in the radiator. There is not a valve on the block like in the picture so I am not sure how he bled the air out. So frustrated this has been going on for days now. Any ideas?
Thanks
Tam in Tampa

This is a 2008 XD
Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 AM

Some things never change. No matter how advanced engines get, it always seems that you still have to drill a hole in the thermostat. You'd think the japanese would scientifically determine the optimum size of hole that needs to be in the thermostat, and the exact spot it should be, just like they design everything else. But forget all that. Drill a damn hole in the thermostat every time.