Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sub Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:25 PM

Default Sub Install Help

I have done a bunch of engine mods to the box and am now set to start with the interior. I haven't installed audio before so I could use some guidance.

I have the Premium Pioneer HU with the RCA outs, a Pioneer GM-5300T amp, and two MTX Jackhammer subs JH5512-04.

My primary concern is burning the car up (I've heard too many horror stories).
2nd on the list is which wire (color/location) do you tap the remote line into?
3rd is.. where do we punch through the firewall?

Also if you have an install kit recommendation that would be great.

Thanx in advance!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are some threads to check out:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...326&highlight=

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ght=power+wire

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...435858#2435858
Old 06-20-2009, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to keep it simple, purchase a wire harness for the deck wiring. It is so nice to be able to wire inside the house and then just plug it in to the facotry connectors while mounting.

As for the amp, There is great access thur the fire wall through the rubber gromet on the drivers side.I have my amps under the seat so I ran the main power wire down the drivers side. Try to use a guage wire that is rated or the load you will be putting on it, with that amp you are only running 250W so you could use an 8 guage wire, but might want to go to a 4 guage. Signal wires from the deck down the passenger side and then I ran the speaker wires down the middle.

The main things of all are to make sure the guage of wire is not under sized, good connections on all crimps and connections and VERY GOOD GROUNDS, so many issues with people not having good grounds.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just finished

I just sort of finished my install. I put my Sony amp under the passenger seat, ran the main power wire and the ground up through the center console and under the carpet. There is a great grounding location right under the parking brake. I ran the power wire up under the gear shift console and out the driver side through the gromet in the fire wall. It help keep the length to about 8 to 9 feet of wire. The RCAs and power on wire are run under the carpet just in the hole near the passenger seat mount hole closest to the center console the up under the gear shift console to the back of the navigation. Speaker wires are wrapped in a carbon look sleeve and run down the passenger side under the trim and into the trunk under the rear seat. I got the AVIC-F90BT, and Ipod connected. So far it sounds great. I think I am going to upgrade the rear speakers to some 6.5 inch Infinity Kappa 3 ways I have sitting around from my old custom truck. The fronts I may change later, but right now I like how it sounds. That new deck made a HUGE difference in sound quality. I currently have a Kicker CVR 10 in 2 ohm dual voice coil sub in a nice bandpass box. I think it may actually be too powerful for the system, but the deck allows for so much adjustment of the sub that it can be balanced out. I think the box is still kind of big, so I may try to find a better solution in the long run. But it sound great and I listen to rock more than anything else anyways. It hits hard.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Upgrading the rear speakers doesnt make much of a difference for what i hear... its the way they are set up to balance out the sound not be loud...
Old 06-22-2009, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I understand that, I want some treble fill for those rear speakers, adding a three way should help. I had these as rear fill in my old truck and they helped the full surround type sound.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member

i wouldn't waste my time with the rears... (but if you do, stick with better two ways than three ways as a generalization, all else being equal). put your money into better front seperates - it will be significantly better if you do (versus upgrading only the rears that are basically absorbed into the back seat area.