Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Just need a few question on sound system

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just need a few question on sound system

Got 2 questions here for you guys. Did a quick search couldn't find what I was looking for.

My first is how do you remove the headunit? I have a 08 with the pioneer factory headunit.

Also I am getting ready to install my new sound system and I just need the formula on how to get cubic inches for my box. Got some nice pioneer shallow well 12s. 250 rms each with 1000 watt max. Excited to build my box.

Was also wondering has anyone else had this problem? My speakers don't seem to be working right, they cut out when I hit a bump, and go around corners sometime. I have a feeling its something really loose, I am just trying to narrow down the problem a little easier. Hopefully I can find and fix the problem when I install my system.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 08-24-2009, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To answer your first question, watch this youtube video and you should have a pretty good understanding of how it's done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go5e50nKESk

I have no idea about your second question since I don't actually own an xB but I hope to find out soon in Nov. or Dec.

As for your speaker trouble, the best thing for you to do is to let the dealers fix that for you under your warranty before you install your system. The reason I say this is because if it isn't just a loose connection and a much bigger problem then the dealership will say that you voided your warranty by installing the system and they will try to blame it on you.

Anyways, good luck on the install.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the help. I wanna take it to the dealer but if its a problem not under warrenty then I have to pay 85 bucks to diagnose the problem
Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah, I see. Well if your car is still under 36,000 miles it should be covered, if you haven't done anything to it I don't see how they could possible say it isn't.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Some sort of loose ground, maybe. But it's going to be a b!tch to track it down.

As for removing the panel around the headunit, just be patient and apply steady and increasing force. It might be a little more difficult than on the video because I'm sure that panel's been popped dozens of times. First time is always tighter in car stereo too! When I pulled mine, I kinda just hung on it like I'm hanging from a ledge on my finger tips and gradually increased the pressure. Once the top came a bit loose, I pulled up on the bottom and kind of wiggled it out. Really easy once you've done it.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM
SL Member

Personally I always just pulled from the bottom and it popped right out and the top is real easy to pull out. Unplug the hvac and then you have 4 screws you need to remove with a 10mm socket I believe... But Juicius is right, it's a lot easier when you've removed the panel 1000 times... haha