Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2010 xb Stock Stereo loses settings after an hour

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:13 AM

Default 2010 xb Stock Stereo loses settings after an hour

Hello,

I just picked up my 2010 xb a couple of days ago and I am having a problem with the stereo. It is the stock, non-premium, Pioneer stereo, and the problem is that it loses its settings if the car is off for more than 45 minutes to an hour. I am not exactly sure how long it takes before the stereo loses its settings, but it is more than 30 minutes and less than 2 hours.

For example, I turn the car off while the stereo is set to AUX with a volume of 35. I come back 15 minutes later, and turn the car back on. The stereo is still set to AUX and the volume is still at 35 (I do not need to click the power button on the stereo). Then, I turn the car off, come back 2 hours later and turn the car back on. The stereo's power is off, and after pressing the power button the stereo is set to Radio with a volume of 20. What's a little weird is that it remembers the last station I listened to.

Anyone have any ideas about what may be wrong with it and how to go about fixing it?

Thank you,

-leb
Old 08-28-2009, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

take it to the dealership.. sounds like a bad radio.. or loose battery cables.. it's losing power somewhere or it's a bad radio
Old 08-28-2009, 09:17 PM

Thanks Slody4Futbol. I took it to the dealership and they are ordering me a new stereo. The service tech said they have been having problems with that model.

I told them if it was more convenient for them, I would not complain if they just replaced it with a Navigation System.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds to me like capacitor in the radio is discharging. if its still holding preset stations and the last station you are on its not loosing power or memory. but that is definately an issue, good thing they are fixing it.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ive had the same thing happen to me on my 2010. I'm on my second radio at this point. Its getting very annoying for me. It only happens after my car has been sitting for 8 hours though. I keep all my presets, but lose the bass/treble/fader/ASL settings.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

LOL... Jim just got my new one from the dealership this morning and I too have this problem....after all that crap I went thru and my radio still dont work up to specs.... this is BS!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yeah, i've had my car for about a month now without a properly working radio.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 PM

I don't know whether to be comforted by the fact that I am not the only one with this problem, or to be worried that it is such a widespread issue that my replacement stereo may have the same problem!

Anyway, the dealer said it would be about 2 weeks for my replacement stereo to come in (this Friday will be 2 weeks exactly, but still no word from the dealer). That seemed like a long time for getting a stock unit in, but I wanted to do an oil change around that time anyway, so no big deal.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I dropped my car off at the dealership last night so they could have it overnight to see the problem for themselves. They even have a Toyota Field Tech coming out to look at my car because they're having this problem all over.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:57 PM

I got my stereo changed last Thursday and the new one hasn't lost its settings yet. The thing that was weird though was that my old stereo was lasting longer and longer before resetting itself. At first it took only a couple of hours before it lost its settings, but by the time the replacement stereo arrived it was lasting a good 12-13 hours.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

disconnect the battery from the car for a couple of hours, see if that will make the radio problem start happening again.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by lebedev
I got my stereo changed last Thursday and the new one hasn't lost its settings yet. The thing that was weird though was that my old stereo was lasting longer and longer before resetting itself. At first it took only a couple of hours before it lost its settings, but by the time the replacement stereo arrived it was lasting a good 12-13 hours.

Yeah mine also seems to be holding the settings a lil longer too....

I spoke with someone from Corp last week and can you believe they told me that they have not heard about this problem until I brought it up..... ya should all call corp and complain and then maybe we can all get free upgrades to the Alpine unit....
Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The good news is I finally got the new HU, and it works so far.
Lets see if usb port will work also.Have to say I like the looks of this one
hell lot better.

Nesta
Old 09-30-2009, 09:05 PM

I didn't drive my car for a couple of days, and the new stereo had lost its settings when I started the car this morning!

So Jay Blaze, how do I go about contacting Corporate??

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by lebedev
I didn't drive my car for a couple of days, and the new stereo had lost its settings when I started the car this morning!

So Jay Blaze, how do I go about contacting Corporate??

Thanks.

Call 1-866-707-2466 and speak to the first person you can.... tell them you want to file a complaint about the headunit in your XB.... let them know this is the 2nd unit you have with the same issue.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm having a somewhat similar problem on my 2010 with APAS + Nav. I have my iPod plugged in and I'll be listening to it. I'll turn off the car and do my errand or whatever, and when I come back and turn the car on, the stereo sets itself to FM1. I keep having to reselect the iPod input every time I turn the car off. Anyone else experiencing this?

My dealer has a 1000m free checkup, and I'll be bringing this issue up with them. I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this or if this is expected behavior.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by onions
I'll turn off the car and do my errand or whatever, and when I come back and turn the car on, the stereo sets itself to FM1. I keep having to reselect the iPod input every time I turn the car off. Anyone else experiencing this?
I don't have an iPod, and I only have the stock stereo, but I think I might have an answer. When I was testing the capabilities of the stereo, I plugged a usb flash drive full of songs into my usb port. I noticed that if I removed the usb drive before starting the car, the stereo would switch to the next valid mode. First, if there was something in the aux port, it would select aux as the mode. Then, if there was nothing in the aux port, but there was a cd in the drive, it switch to the cd. Finally, if there was nothing in the aux port or the cd drive, it switched to the radio.

Perhaps there is something about the iPod that makes the stereo think that there is nothing in the usb port when the car is first started. Is the iPod in an off/sleep mode when the car is being started? See what happens if the iPod is playing a song before you start the car.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is interesting. the ipod does shut off automatically after a period of inactivity. so what i'll do tomorrow is to turn the ipod on before starting the car and see what happens. i have a feeling you are a right though.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:02 PM

I am having the same problems with a 2010. I might see if they would pay for me to replace the radio...
Old 10-25-2009, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lebedev, you were right. i fired up the ipod before starting the engine and the stereo automatically started up with the ipod.

Quick Reply: 2010 xb Stock Stereo loses settings after an hour