Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

AUX on OEM HU not working?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Question AUX on OEM HU not working?

Hey Everyone!

I just got my XB2 a couple of weeks ago and I went to use the aux/usb for the 1st time and got nothing, its literally not doing anything when I press aux....so I had to go to the dealer yesterday to pick up my plates and mentioned it to my sales guy...He came out to take a look with his mp3 and even tried to switch the audio cable to see if it was that....nothing, so of course I have to make an appointment to bring it in, he told me it seems like they did not connect something in the rear of the unit itself being everything else works but this.

Does anyone know how its wired back there?, I cant imagine that there is a harness for each individual button (FA/AM/CD/AUX)...but yet I dont get it everything else works fine but this...I mean I have an appointment for tomorrow @ 3 but if I can avoid the trip down there by fixing it myself I rather do that!!!

any ideas as to what this can be? unplugged harness or unit malfunction?
any help is greatfully appreciated!!!

Oh and this is for the base HU nothing special on it!!

Thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

What year scion do you have? I know a lot of dealers have been selling the 2010 xB's which have a brand new radio, with the previous model radio in it.

This is base radio from a 2010 Scion xB.

This is the previous base radio for the 2nd gen xB
Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

crap!!! you 100% sure bout this Jim?

Cause I got the 2010 XB and it came with the 2nd photo you have listed...I popped out radio and took a look to see if something was unplugged and there was nothing unplugged looks like Im gonna have to take it in anyways...

Not that I am doubting you Jim but can someone with an 2010 please tell me with radio is in their box...thanks ya!!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have a 2010 xB but I can confirm that you should have gotten the HU in the first pic. Sounds like you need to have a word with your dealer.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah I have an appt with them tomorrow @ 3, thanks for all the information and input ya... I really appreciate it!!!

I guess that is why my aux is not working...cause this radio in the car now is not meant to support the newer aux/usb ports in the center console.....I had the car for 2 wks and two days ago went to use the aux feature for the 1st time and when I pressed aux, nothing happened.... the screen did not even switch to aux so its not reading the usb/aux ports at all!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

This is the kind of ____ that'll get their franchise yanked. I would park the car in the customer parking space and not in the service bay, walk the sales and service guys to your car and demand an explanation. Do not give them your key. You don't "accidentally" swap out HU. It was premeditated and go-ahead came from near or the very top of the dealership.

Don't allow them to do anything to your car, and tell them you'll have to think about your response after talking with the Scion rep and drive away. You'll probably be contacted within the day with some sweet offers. Take nothing less than upgrade to Alpine HU. Good luck!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow you got screwed! 2010s come with the NEW head units not the one you got.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by juicius
This is the kind of ____ that'll get their franchise yanked. I would park the car in the customer parking space and not in the service bay, walk the sales and service guys to your car and demand an explanation. Do not give them your key. You don't "accidentally" swap out HU. It was premeditated and go-ahead came from near or the very top of the dealership.

Don't allow them to do anything to your car, and tell them you'll have to think about your response after talking with the Scion rep and drive away. You'll probably be contacted within the day with some sweet offers. Take nothing less than upgrade to Alpine HU. Good luck!

LOL.... I def like this Idea, exactly what I am going to do!!! thanks!

Originally Posted by AndreyCo
Wow you got screwed! 2010s come with the NEW head units not the one you got.
Exactly what I wanted to hear! thanks

I am so heated right now!!! cant wait to go down to the dealer!!! Imma def raise some hell!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

(1st off a big woot woot to Jim for the post...you shed a light of lite on the matter at hand!!)

Wow... can you believe the stealership did not give me any problems?

I went in and asked for my sales guy...he was not in so they asked me if I needed help...told them my lil situation and they sent over a sales manager..... He came out took one look at the radio and called one of the service guys up.... told him "Order this man the right radio and find out who installed this one " I did not even get a chance to speak my piece..

Down side of course they dont have it in stock so he told me by Tuesday it should be in also told me he was gonna try to hook me up for the hassle....then I said "Yeah hook me up with the Alpine unit and we be good"...he just smiled and said I'll see what I can do (In other words...no way fool)...lol

Well thanks again for all ya help!! much appreciated!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If I recall correctly, HUs are region-wide options, that is, regional distributor determines whether they're going to order for the region with either the base HU or Alpine and is considered a FIE or Factory Installed Options (I know, FIE, not FIO... but that's what the internal docs refer to it as). For example, Southeast regional distributor covering Georgia and other SE states ordered all xBs with Alpine. If you wanted the base HU here, you would have to sell back the Alpine back to the dealership and buy the base HU on individual basis. This means xBs are delivered at the dealership with either the base HU or the Alpine already in. HUs are not individually installed at the dealership for dealer stock. Soo... Someone didn't just install the old HU by mistake. Someone SWAPPED IT OUT. Given that they probably made a conscious choice to screw you, you're letting them go waaay too easy. I'd still threaten to talk with the Scion rep and demand the Alpine. It's only $450 or so over the base HU and dealer cost is around 70%, meaning it only cost the dealer around $315 difference. They'll still make money on your deal. Base dealer cost for bone-stock (which includes the new snazzy Pioneer HU, BTW) is $15,865. And using MSRP as the sale price and factoring in $775 freight, dealer makes approximately $900 per xB sold with the usual options, such as floormat and upgraded HU. (For example, dealer cost for my Stingray Metallic with Alpine and floormat was $17,138. I paid $18,103, for dealer profit of $965.) They won't make as much as before, but that's fair I think since they tried to SCREW YOU.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'd still threaten to talk with the Scion rep and demand the Alpine.
I know this may sound retarded...you mean the guy I dealt with and sold me the car?

If so then Yeah I got an email into him, he has not been there.

Let my wife proof-read the email and she said I sound ticked... I was like "good thats cause I am!!"

anyways lets see where this gets me!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@juicius - At my scion dealership NONE of the scions have a head unit installed. You choose which one you want when you buy and they put it in.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

AndreyCo:

That should be region-wide then. Unless something changed recently, dealers in a particular region get identically "optioned" cars from the distributor. Dealer installed options obviously vary greatly and they are in fact installed once the cars arrive at the dealership.

Anyway, are you saying that when you browse the inventory at your local Scion dealership, you have cars on the lot with gaping holes at where the HU goes?

Jay Blaze:

No, I'm talking about your Scion rep at 866-707-2466.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AndreyCo:Anyway, are you saying that when you browse the inventory at your local Scion dealership, you have cars on the lot with gaping holes at where the HU goes?
I think AndreyCo is right, I have always understood it that all scions were shipped to the dealers without head units. In fact, I seem to recall a pic somewhere around here that shows an xb with a cardboard slip covering the hole where the head unit goes. Could be different depending on how the dealer ordered the vehicle.

Jay Blaze,
This whole HU mix up could have just been an honest mistake by one of the dealer techs, you have every right to be mad but lets not jump to conclusions. After having worked retail for a while I've learned a few things about making mistakes myself.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by SanchezHacker
Jay Blaze,
This whole HU mix up could have just been an honest mistake by one of the dealer techs, you have every right to be mad but lets not jump to conclusions. After having worked retail for a while I've learned a few things about making mistakes myself.

Totally hear you man!!! I mean they did not give me no lip so I did not make a big stink out of it to them... my beef is with my scion sales guy...I mean this guy is supposed to be a scion "expert" as they call them.... but yet he could not tell that the radio was the wrong one?? how can you sell a product and not know anything about the product you sell?? get me bro?

Juicius: thanks for the clarification man!

needless to say I am happy with the fact my radio is getting swapped, i appreciate all the input and advise you gave!! thanks ya!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SanchezHacker
I think AndreyCo is right, I have always understood it that all scions were shipped to the dealers without head units. In fact, I seem to recall a pic somewhere around here that shows an xb with a cardboard slip covering the hole where the head unit goes. Could be different depending on how the dealer ordered the vehicle.
Thats exactly how ALL of the scions at my local dealership looked about 6 months ago. Cardboard covers over where the HU needs to go. They wouldn't let you listen to the sound system before you buy the car. Right now it seems my dealership is either moving or going out of business, they only have used cars on the lot :-(
Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jay Blaze
crap!!! you 100% sure bout this Jim?

Cause I got the 2010 XB and it came with the 2nd photo you have listed...I popped out radio and took a look to see if something was unplugged and there was nothing unplugged looks like Im gonna have to take it in anyways...

Not that I am doubting you Jim but can someone with an 2010 please tell me with radio is in their box...thanks ya!!
Well, I can definitely say the unit in the second picture is what came base with my 2008 (since replaced), and I've read the 2010 has all new units.

Originally Posted by Jay Blaze
Yeah I have an appt with them tomorrow @ 3, thanks for all the information and input ya... I really appreciate it!!!

I guess that is why my aux is not working...cause this radio in the car now is not meant to support the newer aux/usb ports in the center console.....I had the car for 2 wks and two days ago went to use the aux feature for the 1st time and when I pressed aux, nothing happened.... the screen did not even switch to aux so its not reading the usb/aux ports at all!
Definitely won't support the USB input. The HU supports iPOD and AUX, not USB.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, went to the stealership yesterday and got my new radio installed....everything seemed to be working, although I did notice that this morning all the audio settings and main greeting I set up went back to default.... is there something I need to do in order for it to stay saved into the radio? :?

Of course there was no manual given to me so I winged it based off the settings I did on the other radio...lol
Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

OK neva mind I found the answer and it seems that its a common problem with the 2010 radio's....https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=1#post3291035

I am now debating if I should just bite the bullet on this one... I am so tired of driving back and forth to the dealer, I have had the car for a lil over 2 wks and I am not lying when I say I have been back to the dealer over 5 times already.... not for issues per say but between having to go back for paperwork,plates,issues with radio, now to get my radio installed...man I am getting sick of it....and its not close its about 30-45 minutes from me and then its at least a minimum of 2hrs I am there..... , worst than the dam hospital ER!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Man I really hate to be a jerk but had sent an email to Scion Corporate earlier this morning and actually just got a call from them asking me to explain what I have been through with the dealer, after apologizing for the hassle I have been going through they gave me a ref #, told me someone will contact me within one business day to help resolve this issue for me. Totally unexpected but hey I need to make sure I get what the heck I am paying for no??

Quick Reply: AUX on OEM HU not working?