Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Alpine Premium Audio System Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Scion Driven Girls

Default Alpine Premium Audio System Problems

You might remember my issues in this thread: Scion Navigation System AUX Problem. Now I have a new set of issues with an exchanged Alpine Premium Audio System (APAS) with plug-in navigation.

1. The voice guidance on the APAS sounds distorted and completly inturrupts the music everytime it needs to say something. I cannot find an option where the voice guidance can be played over music being played through the head unit.

2. The APAS's 4.3" display screen is subject to much more glare compared to the Scion Navigation System (SNS)'s 7" screen.

3. The smaller display screen on the APAS is troublesome now that I am forced to mute the voice guidance and look back and forth at the screen. The SNS allowed ease of use with audio and visual guidance as well as listening to uninturrupted music.

4. Turning on the headlights automatically dims the small display screen on the APAS to a point that I cannot see it, unless it is really dark outside. The SNS changes the color of the on screen display map when turning on the headlights to allow for viewing during the nighttime. Also, the screen color can be manually selected for day or night view when the headlights are on. The APAS does not allow for such a selection.

Have owners of the APAS experienced any of these issues? Can you offer any solutions? Thanks in advance

P.S. Sorry if I sound picky
Old 10-01-2009, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as I know, only a select few people actually have the HU you have. The headlight dimming sounds pretty standard...typically you wouldn't want the screen blinding you when you're driving at night.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting. i just ordered my xb with the premium + nav system. i'll report back with my experience once i've picked up my car and give the system a test run.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by JediBaja

1. The voice guidance on the APAS sounds distorted and completly inturrupts the music everytime it needs to say something. I cannot find an option where the voice guidance can be played over music being played through the head unit.

As for this issue I know for a fact that the voice guidance will not function with the music at the same time... All OE nav units are designed to cancel out the music some how...

Nissan Models with OE nav units: Canceled out front speakers playing music and speaks you can hear music but only thru the rear speakers....

Mitsubishi Galant (the one I owned): Canceled out all speakers to speak

Its something thats going to happen, same thing with that Blu logic system in the cars.... its what its meant to do.....

Now if you plan on using the nav unit while thumping your system than doing either one will have to give... you either use the nav keep your music down or pump your music and follow the signs....

Now I do say this if you turn off the guidance voice and are looking back and forth from screen to road then my friend that is not a wise choice... you are an accident waiting to happen.....hope this helps and be safe/smart out there!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Scion Driven Girls

AndreyCo - The SNS that I had previously is a factory OEM navigation system which played voice guidance through the driver's side speaker, while maintaining music on the remaining speakers.

Jay Blaze - The SNS changes color of navigation map: day = white, night = black. You have the option to manually change the color dispite the automatic dimming function with the headlights. There is no such function for the APAS.

I understand the danger to myself and other drivers having to mute the voice guidance on the APAS and looking back and forth at the screen, which is why I complained to the dealership. The sales manager seems to see my issues as dislikes only and is telling me to live with it. I find it disheartening that customers have to order and install these navigation/head units into our cars before passing judgement on them. I never see any demos at the dealership. Is there some kind of product guarantee with these that I don't know about?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as for the glare issue, you can just get an anti-glare screen overlay and apply it on top of the screen. i agree that the nav unit should be demo-able, but a lot of dealers sell out of stock too quickly and probably can't justify keeping one around while there's an interested buyer.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even if the dealers sell out of it quickly, it is Scion that should furnish a display unit.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JediBaja
AndreyCo - The SNS that I had previously is a factory OEM navigation system which played voice guidance through the driver's side speaker, while maintaining music on the remaining speakers.

Jay Blaze - The SNS changes color of navigation map: day = white, night = black. You have the option to manually change the color dispite the automatic dimming function with the headlights. There is no such function for the APAS.

I understand the danger to myself and other drivers having to mute the voice guidance on the APAS and looking back and forth at the screen, which is why I complained to the dealership. The sales manager seems to see my issues as dislikes only and is telling me to live with it. I find it disheartening that customers have to order and install these navigation/head units into our cars before passing judgement on them. I never see any demos at the dealership. Is there some kind of product guarantee with these that I don't know about?

Regarding your "issues" I have to agree with the sales manager. You seem to want the system to work in a way that it simply doesn't. Your issues are not issues. Your frustration is understandable, but the real issue here is that you want the system to work in a way that it just doesn't.

The system muting the music when voice directions are played sounds absolutely normal. I agree about the screen glare. There is a lot of glare on that screen. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot we can do about that.

Ultimately, you will need to just get used to how this new system works.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member

Default Alpine Premium

I too just received the Alpine Premium system. The problem I am having is with the Iphone. I was listening to music, received a call which stopped the music and after the call the music returned but I was unable to control the volume, stop it or mute it. I couldnt even change to regular radio. It was like the system locked up. It did this twice. Thinking about returning it and looking at aftermarket.