Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Not happy with exhaust, next step, scuba delete?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Not happy with exhaust, next step, scuba delete?

So, last week I installed my Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust. It sounds great over 3500rpm. Only problem is, when cruising along I can barely hear the thing. It sounds almost like stock. I didn't want the "coffee can full of bees" sound that I've heard with a lot of cars that just get a cheap muffler. I didn't want anything raspy or high pitched. I prefer the deep sound that I've had before with previous exhausts. I've had a few friends with Tanabe Medallion exhausts and they sound great to me.

I've used the search and found some people talking about getting rid of the resonator or scuba. Not too familiar with the scuba term but I was looking for advice. I'm thinking of going to the exhaust shop this week and seeing what they can do for me. Is there anyone else running the same exhaust that has done anything else that they could recommend for me? I was thinking about going with a Weapon-R header and s-pipe. That would still leave the resonator from what I've read. I live in a state that has no emissions laws so I can do whatever. Just looking for some advice, would hate to do something that sounds really bad or not recommended.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you do headers, be prepared for rasp!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have th megans drift spec on my tc..love it pretty loud if you stomp on it....if you get a header you gotta do as custom midpipe or il be loud and raspy
Old 10-07-2009, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The same question gets asked over and over. If you don't want rasp, get an oval or large diameter round muffler for the middle, both of which have to be longer than the standard size (14 inches or so). People get rasp when they put on headers, cause they're usually the uninformed people who also do scuba-tank/middle resonator deletes (or they replace them with small cans). They put a round can (which essentially doesn't do much muffling) in the back which doesn't help the case much either.

Finally, the internals of the muffler matter as well. For example, Borla uses pure stainless steel mesh/wool for it's internals which gives it a better quality sound then Magnaflow. Magnaflow uses a stainless steel mesh/wool for its internals, but only around the perforated tube. The rest is just high temperature fiberglass. The wool is meant to protect the fiberglass from blowing out and other chemicals so it lasts way longer than your typical glasspack. A glasspack is a cheap muffler that has pure high temperature fiberglass in it. Finally, Tanabe Mufflers (as well as HKS I think) use Advantex, which is supposed to be better than typical fiberglass and happens to save weight too.

Cliff Notes:
1. Get a long muffler.
2. Get an oval/large diameter can muffler.
3. Don't get a glasspack.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can get the header but definitely leave the "scuba" after that and you may need to add an additional resonator. Or you can just replace the "scuba" which is a restrictive cat/resonator combo with just a straight through resonator. Im sure that will free up some good tones.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Here is a Link that will Def help you and answer some question's.......

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145137

Car Belongs to Member~ DAILYXB-TYPE-R Shows the xB With too different exhaust set-up's one with out a muffler and one with the tanabe touring exhaust and both with the Scuba deleted.....

Hope this Helps also there is video clips of both set-up...
Old 10-09-2009, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would you want to hear it while crusing? I had the cheap eBay exhaust and the sound is way too annoying. I bought the Tanabe one as well and love it. Perfect sound and performance ratio.

If you can hear it while your windows are rolled up, then so can your poor neighbors when you drive by.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Um, because?

I would like to hear at least a little bit of an exhaust note while driving. I already stated I didn't want the loud raspy "ricer" exhaust sound. Just wanted to make it a little more audible.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From old is right. Many posts on scuba delete. Remove it and it's going to LOUD! I read all the posts and tried my best when suba came out. Strup headers only added to rasp. Then fitted small cat & muffler in place of scuba. Just not enough room for decent size muffler to tone down. Tsudo duals with silencers (trumpts) from there. It's loud, not horrible, but loud. Going to wrap some SS wool around drilled trumpts next.