Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Disconnecting Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Disconnecting Rear Speakers

Hey guys, been reading these forums for about a month and just barely joined today. I think its great here. I have the premium alpine sound system and I got a question that may or may not be specific to this alpine head unit, but its the one I got in my 10' xb so I thought I would point that out. I am planning on installing kicker 6.5" subs in my rear doors with a small amp pushing them. I'm trying to keep it real light with my install in my new xb (I got an isuzu rodeo with some real equipment). I'm not looking for anything earth shattering, just clear. I wanna use the subwoofer pre-outs to connect the small amp for the 6.5" subs, but by doing that, two questions come to mind: 1. Will the sound that previously played out of my rear speakers now be played out of my front speakers along with the sounds that already played out of the front speakers? (And if so, would that mean I would lose the fade ability?) 2. Will my front speakers gain power since my stereo's internal amp no longer has to power rear speakers?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Also please let me know if I should be posting this in an already created forum or something. I am completely new to this stuff. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just use the rear preouts *if your radio has them* Turn the amp on low pass and set the crossover accordingly. Check the frequency range on the speakers and start there, then adjust until you get the sound you like out of them.

The sound that was played out of your rear speakers, is already played out of your front speakers, stereo sound is left & right, not front left, front right, rear left, rear right. Your front speakers will not play louder after disconnecting the rears. However, you should really upgrade your front speakers. Think about getting a 4 channel amp if you are amping the rears and putting in some 6½" midbass drivers. You could amp the fronts, making them louder, and give the midbass drivers the power they need.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yeah, I actually have 6.5" polk db components in the front. I was only going to go with a 2 channel for the rears only if the front speakers were going to gain power by doing this setup, but since they aren't I will definitely go with a 4 channel for all speakers. Problem solved. Thanks for the advice. By the way, the rears are going to be actual 6.5" subwoofers ----------->

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14424.

not mid-bass drivers like you mentioned.

Even though I'm sure they will probably only produce a lot of mid-bass because of their size.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem.

BTW 04SSMB = 2004 SS series MidBass drivers
Old 10-11-2009, 11:04 PM
SL Member

When you do disconnect your factory pioneer speakers, can you take a picture of them and show us how they look like. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...CarQ5fSpeakers

they look like that
Old 10-11-2009, 11:52 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Slody4Futbol
Wow, they look very cheap lol.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol what were you expecting? some high end components?

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_0...-7.html?tp=106

Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Slody4Futbol
lol what were you expecting? some high end components?

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_0...-7.html?tp=106

Well you constantly hear Toyota/Scion using the Pioneer Sound System as one of their strong selling points. But they just had to go ahead and put in the worst Pioneer system possible.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionxB2ndgensuperfan
Well you constantly hear Toyota/Scion using the Pioneer Sound System as one of their strong selling points. But they just had to go ahead and put in the worst Pioneer system possible.
My favorite thing about my system is when I direct all the sound to the rear speakers. The sound clarity is the best I have ever heard - ever.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:32 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
My favorite thing about my system is when I direct all the sound to the rear speakers. The sound clarity is the best I have ever heard - ever.
Nice bro, what system are you running?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's not that bad for a stock system.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:14 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
it's not that bad for a stock system.
I agree it's not, but it's not on par with what our competitors drive (Nissan Cube 7 speaker Rockford Fosgate system with 100 watt subwoofer, or Kia Soul's 8 speaker Infinity Sound System with 8" subwoofer). The xB could have added an 8" sub like the one in the Rumion. I mean we drive a box, you would expect a good sound system. (I mean even the scion tC has a sub albeit a crappy one lol)
Old 10-14-2009, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionxB2ndgensuperfan
Nice bro, what system are you running?
I apologize - it was an attempt at sarcasm as I am running everything stock. Next year I'm upgrading my sound, but I'm focusing on other mods (painted interior, baking lights, wheels, lowering springs). THEN sound.

But stock isn't too bad. It could be a lot better.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:30 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
I apologize - it was an attempt at sarcasm as I am running everything stock. Next year I'm upgrading my sound, but I'm focusing on other mods (painted interior, baking lights, wheels, lowering springs). THEN sound.

But stock isn't too bad. It could be a lot better.
That's cool bro, were you able to at least hear the bass in the music with the stock system? I'm not running stock anymore, I'm running Full Clarion With 1 clarion 10" sub.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@scionxB2ndgensuperfan (whose username must be a b*tch to type in): Actually, the bass in stock wasn't too bad. For stock systems the bass is pretty good. It's driven by component speakers at the front. The rears suck. There is no sound quality at all. I never go past volume level 30 in my box for fear of breaking the speakers, but the bass isn't too bad.

@EVERYONE: I am a VERY car audio newbie. How do I "drill" out the speaker rivets? I plan on upgrading my audio next year and I don't know how to hook it up or anything like that. I understand as far as bass blockers to direct the lows to a powered sub (I plan on a simple system, nothing earth-shattering), but that's it. Where should I go to get all this information?