Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Tenzo R- CAI INTAKE VIDEO THREAD!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tenzo R- CAI INTAKE VIDEO THREAD!

So my tenzo from NLMotoring (HIYA!) just got here (along with the broadway mirror) and im freakin excited. I won't be installing it tonight due to work and school. so by tomorrow or thursday I should have videos and pictures throughout the whole install.

SO in the meantime, please post any questions or things your would like to see in the videos and pics. whether its questions about my other mods i have done or anything at all. I will video tape the majority of the install and pics along the way. Im also fixing my rear door which i forogot to install correctly after i added new speakers. and the my side vent mod should be happening then as well.

CHEERS!

Captian Butterknife

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23000558@N02/4033025837/

Before watching the vids, i was having a really bad day. and i think that hampered my progress with this install. and maybe made things a lil more complicated than it had to be. So thats is why they are so short. However, it was pretty good.

Vid 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq5rN6c73uc

Vid 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9DYgcQQGg

Vid 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXP4btyUh7g
Vid 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqy7RoSgfFU
Vid 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uYmZbo96pk

So fitment wasn't an issue except for trying to fit the upper pipe part into that small ___ space. i don't think much could be changed to do that...

btw i have my side vents open right now. no plastic cover cause im modding the leds on them. u think having those covered will really affect the performance of the filter?

Last edited by DJ_FroZone; 10-22-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:28 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I'd like to see how bad the fitment is. I hear tenzo isn't that great in that department...
Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know how you feel, when i installed my fujita cold air i fell in love with my car all over again. love to hear that whistle at 3K rpm.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ordered my TRD vent for the bumper today. Gonna order the AEM in a few weeks, because the 13hp gain in the magazine test is good enough for me.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elwaylite
I ordered my TRD vent for the bumper today. Gonna order the AEM in a few weeks, because the 13hp gain in the magazine test is good enough for me.
untill i see that, im gonna call bull. 13 is quite a lot for a 2-300 part. more like 4-5 is more likely same as a injen, tenzo, trd, orr the fujita. unless you have something else like a super or u use it SR for turbo....unless im horrible wrong which i may be
Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about 12whp and 11.2ft/lbs?

http://www.importtuner.com/powerpage...rs5/index.html
Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks Fred, thats the one. Ive purchased a budget intake before and the filtration sucked and it did not fit right.

aem is a pricey but nice unit with a non oiled filter.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wont be able to dyno mine. i try to post MPG numbers here. I aksed a few members here who have tenzo on there xb said fitment was ok. we shall see!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not knocking it, im sure it is ok, because plenty of people have one. I prefer the AEM filter, and have seen the magazine numbers, so I'm feeling its worth the price.

If I did get the Tenzo, I would add the AEM filter to it, like some on here have done.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^yea thats next maybe in two paychecks or so. actuall i might wait till my next oil change when im supposed to clean it and just do it then.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My TRD CAI was delivered about an hour ago. I hope to complete the install in the next couple days.

BTW, the filter that comes with the TRD CAI is made by AEM.

PDX_xB
Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So just finished uploading vids and pics now. interesting install.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:28 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

The only thing that worries me about these cheap CAIs are what it does to the A/F ratio. The fujita one is known to throw it off really bad (on several makes and models). I doubt Tenzo has the same R&D as the AEM/Trd/Injen and I personally wouldnt run it without dynoing to make sure the A/F is right.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
The only thing that worries me about these cheap CAIs are what it does to the A/F ratio. The fujita one is known to throw it off really bad (on several makes and models). I doubt Tenzo has the same R&D as the AEM/Trd/Injen and I personally wouldnt run it without dynoing to make sure the A/F is right.
The Mazda 3's had this problem with the first gen fujita because where the MAF connected the diameter was too big making the velocity seem slower causing it to think less air and leaning out the fuel mixture and throwing a cel. All of the intakes for our xb that I've seen have that area recessed so the MAF reads correctly. But as said before a CAI is a tube that connects to a filter in an area where fresh air is. The tenzo is very similar in design to the other true CAIs. I have had it installed for over a year with no problems. Fitment was great as well. However I elected to add a performance filter.

Chris
Old 10-25-2009, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just an added tip to anyone installing a CAI (any brand). If you are also considering fog lights, do them at the same time.

I installed the TRD CAI last Wednesday night. I then did the TRD fog lights on Thursday night. It wasn't until I read the fog light installation instructions that I realized you need to remove the entire front fascia to install the fog lights.

Well, once I got my front fascia off (pretty easy, actually), there sat my newly installed TRD CAI filter box right out in the open. It would have been faster and easier to install with the fascia off than jacking up the car, removing the driver's side wheel, and reaching up through the fender well to install the filter box.

Oh well, neither install was very difficult, but combining them would have been faster and easier than doing them separately.

PDX_xB
Old 10-25-2009, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea so far no issues at all! im going to be gettin the AEM dry flow filter after my next oil change. and im ordering the hyrdosheild from NL next week. along with the air freshners. dope stuff!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMAO your fourth video cracked me up. sounds good!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
AFR shouldn't change at all in closed loop because the AFR/O2 sensor will override the MAF to stay at 14.7:1 AFR. It could have some effect on open loop AFR but unless there was a significant change in air volume/velocity seen by the MAF, the AFR change should be very minimal. IMO, most of the AFR changes seen in testing is due to not giving the ECU time to adjust to slightly altered MAF signal voltage. Simply clearing the short term ECU data by disconnecting the battery is not enough.

As long as the MAF tube diameter is close to stock (2.75" ID) and you don't get a MAF related CEL (P0101,0102,0103), any CAI should work fine. Some will be better than others but not by much. I ran a modified $80 TC CAI for 20,000 miles and it worked great. The Tenzo CAI looks a lot better than what I had.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks scion fred!

So far no issues. workingly wonderfully. Gotta love it!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for the great vids.

FWIW, I used the cheap oiled cotton gauze filter that came with my $80 TC CAI for all of those 20k miles and never had any dirty MAF or water issues. However, it is a cheap filter and after 20k miles I wouldn't reinstall it. It has metal end caps that are quite rusted after 2 years and like all cotton gauze filters, it doesn't filter as well as AEM or paper.

Enjoy the Tenzo!

Quick Reply: Tenzo R- CAI INTAKE VIDEO THREAD!