Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

A few interior changes

Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A few interior changes

I got tired of looking at all the silver inside so i bought some "Plasti-Dip" spray paint for $6 and painted a few things. The paint is kind of a rubber material, works good on wheels and things like that but also works great on interiors. I tried scratching it and it wont come off, so its not gonna come off from accidental scratching. And actually if you mess up on it, or dont like it or w/e you can peel this paint off which is good.

--Should I paint the circles around the air vents black as well, or leave them as a silver accent?

any comments or criticisms are welcome.

Last edited by Danimal506; 11-18-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good. Im not sure what all is silver stock but i cant see anything that looks out of place.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wanna see this on a tC so I know what has been changed...

but looks good.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looking goood bro!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Looks good! I say paint it all.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good. I basically did the same as you, except I painted the steering wheel pieces as well.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Danimal506
I got tired of looking at all the silver inside so i bought some "Plasti-Dip" spray paint for $6 and painted a few things. The paint is kind of a rubber material, works good on wheels and things like that but also works great on interiors. I tried scratching it and it wont come off, so its not gonna come off from accidental scratching. And actually if you mess up on it, or dont like it or w/e you can peel this paint off which is good.

--Should I paint the circles around the air vents black as well, or leave them as a silver accent?

any comments or criticisms are welcome.

I vote for keeping the silver around the vent vanes. All flat black strikes me as a bit dull plus they complement the radio.

Speaking for myself, I'm not sure whether I'd do that, but I'm certainly going to think about it. Interesting idea !

PS. It looks to me like you painted the faux carbon-fiber dash panels as well -- just my imagination, or true?

Last edited by TrevorS; 11-19-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member

That looks really good, I'd vote to keep the vents silver.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks really good to me. i hate all that fake brushed silver they put in scions. it looks cheesy. any chance you can post a link to the paint you used? i want to paint my interior trim but i don't want it to get scratched too easily.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=Trevor

Last edited by Danimal506; 11-19-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

leave it it's perfect. i might do this to mine. looks great
Old 11-21-2009, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
I vote for keeping the silver around the vent vanes. All flat black strikes me as a bit dull plus they complement the radio.

Speaking for myself, I'm not sure whether I'd do that, but I'm certainly going to think about it. Interesting idea !

PS. It looks to me like you painted the faux carbon-fiber dash panels as well -- just my imagination, or true?
I'm going to have to take a close look at mine -- that silver to black conversion is looking very interesting !

PS. OK, peered more closely and it's definitely my imagination -- sorry about that !
Old 11-21-2009, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Picked up the spray and am doing the shift console top only, at least for now. That's the one part that I never really cared for as champagne silver (I think that's the actual color -- a little more "elegant" than plain silver ).

By the way, I took a look at removing the two other silver pieces, but although the bottoms just appear to use snaps, the tops appear to be tucked under the upper dash section. How do they come out (and do the HVAC ***** have to be rremoved)?

Last edited by TrevorS; 11-21-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS

By the way, I took a look at removing the two other silver pieces, but although the bottoms just appear to use snaps, the tops appear to be tucked under the upper dash section. How do they come out (and do the HVAC ***** have to be rremoved)?
Use this DIY to pull apart your dash, then there will be two screws on either side of the radio (one per side) unscrew those and just pull up on the dash. its just a little latch holding it on, just pull hard and itll come out. dont worry you cant break it, its meant to just be pulled out not like the other clips.

Here's the DIY:
http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f71/hav...l-14616-2.html

its on page 2 just scroll down a little. The two screws I was talking about to pull off the top daash piece is the last picture he showed on the DIY
Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks dude!

My shift console top panel is officially dry (four hours from last coat), but I'll wait for tomorrow to re-install it. Still, here's a photo. It has a definite texture, and I'm really not sure if that's due to the inherent properties of the Plasti-Dip coating, or is associated with the near 50 degree drying temp. Still, the instructions didn't say anything about a too cool temp, so I'm hoping this appearance is roughly normal . (Four coats of Plasti-Dip.)

Last edited by TrevorS; 11-22-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, i like this Idea, A LOT!
Old 11-22-2009, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like how the dash looks, I might consider this.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea that came out nice. I only put one or two coats on mine and it feels kind of like rubber, because that’s what it is. But im sure with four coats it feels much more rubbery. I only let mine dry for about 15 mins and installed them and they came out fine, its also around 70 in the daytime lol. But basically until it idnt look wet.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Danimal506
Yea that came out nice. I only put one or two coats on mine and it feels kind of like rubber, because that’s what it is. But im sure with four coats it feels much more rubbery. I only let mine dry for about 15 mins and installed them and they came out fine, its also around 70 in the daytime lol. But basically until it idnt look wet.
Well, I guess that's the difference between San Diego and Newark, DE (among others )! I'll install it tomorrow and try to get a feeling for whether I need to change the other silver trim as well. Not that I question what you did with yours, just that we all have our own preferences ! In any case, thanks for the idea, your assist, and your support !
Old 11-22-2009, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Keep the silver circles

Having an all black dash will look dull and flat. Keeping the silver gives the dash a bit of "pop" and leads your eye from left to center to right. Having everything black the eye doesn't know where to look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A few interior changes