Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil level too high?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Oil level too high?

I just did my first oil change myself. I drained all the oil, changed the filter, then I added 4.5 quarts. I drove the car around until I got to operating temp then shut it off and checked the oil level after 10 minutes on a flat level surface, the oil on the dipstick is well above the high mark. How much oil do you guys typically put in after and oil change?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

1st gen xb takes bout 3.7 quarts with a filter change
2nd gen xb takes bout 4.2 quarts with a filter change

... so yeah u over filled a lil bit.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc-guy
1st gen xb takes bout 3.7 quarts with a filter change
2nd gen xb takes bout 4.2 quarts with a filter change

... so yeah u over filled a lil bit.
Everything I have seen said 4.5 qts, so thats what I did. Its like 1/2" past the high mark though, would .3 qts really account for that much difference?

Last edited by xbBrian; 12-14-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On P263 of the owner's manual, it is 4.5qts with filter and 4.3qts without filter. Did you let the used oil drain completely?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by xbBrian
Everything I have seen said 4.5 qts, so thats what I did. Its like 1" past the high mark though, would .3 qts really account for that much difference?
yeah it would. trust me i do it all day for a living. 4.2 and it would have been perfect. you actually want the oil slightly under the full mark to allow for expansion when the engine warms up.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah it would. trust me i do it all day for a living. 4.2 and it would have been perfect. you actually want the oil slightly under the full mark to allow for expansion when the engine warms up.
Well I just realized that I never added the other .5 qt even. So I drained all the oil, replaced the filter, and then added 4 qts of synthetic oil. So why is it that the dip stick shows that I am way past the full mark?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

dunno then. i always put 4.2 in all the 2az motors.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dunno then. i always put 4.2 in all the 2az motors.
I drove around again then let it cool for 10 minutes and its right at the full mark, so I guess its ok. I know that being too full is bad for a motor though so I was a little worried at first.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The heat form the engine will make the oil expand or splash around. Make sure you wipe off your dipstick and redip it to get an accurate reading.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

.2 quarts??? i put 4qt. in and call it good.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its because you drove it around... Try just starting it, let the oil pressure come up, then shut it off and check it. If you check it right after driving it wont be accurate.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TunerKid
Its because you drove it around... Try just starting it, let the oil pressure come up, then shut it off and check it. If you check it right after driving it wont be accurate.
Maybe I am missing something, but why would driving around to warm up the engine vs letting it idle for 10 minutes make a difference?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My first drain, I let it run out for about 10 minutes, put in the filter, then filled in 4.5 quarts. Its a tad over the high mark. Not worried about it, but I will use 4.25 next time.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbBrian
Maybe I am missing something, but why would driving around to warm up the engine vs letting it idle for 10 minutes make a difference?
the point of starting it is to get it circulated through the pump and oil filter. you just need to start it till it builds oil pressure. it doesnt need to idle for 10 minutes or be warm. trust me i change oil on multiple cars everyday.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TunerKid
the point of starting it is to get it circulated through the pump and oil filter. you just need to start it till it builds oil pressure. it doesnt need to idle for 10 minutes or be warm. trust me i change oil on multiple cars everyday.
But the owners manual says that the vehicle should be at operating temperature, and then "after turning off the engine, wait more than five minutes for oil to drain back to bottom of engine"

Starting it for a minute or two isnt going to bring the engine up to operating temps.

I would think that doing it your way would result in more oil in the pan and would give me an even higher reading on the dipstick.

Either way I dont understand why its so high when I only put in 4qts.

Last edited by xbBrian; 12-12-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've always been told, as a mechanic, to check oil a few minutes after the engine has reached the proper temp. But then again, the cars I work on are typically dry-sump.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xtylerx
I've always been told, as a mechanic, to check oil a few minutes after the engine has reached the proper temp. But then again, the cars I work on are typically dry-sump.
Thats pretty much what the manual for the xb states.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For mine, I always buy 4 qts and never use quite all of it and also change filter each time. I would never do any work on any vehicle that was at "operating temperature" mostly due to the fact that I enjoy my skin remaining on my bones. I have done more than 30 oil changes in the last 5 years (2 vehicles) and probably many hundred since my first around 1969 and have filled the crankcase 80 to 90% recommended volume ti begin with then run the engine while checking for leaks (about 2 minutes) then slowly add remaining oil til the level is exact. I have yet to overfill and it is rare to be under.
If you want stories of the things I have screwed up I don't think it will fit here!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrsocks
For mine, I always buy 4 qts and never use quite all of it and also change filter each time. I would never do any work on any vehicle that was at "operating temperature" mostly due to the fact that I enjoy my skin remaining on my bones. I have done more than 30 oil changes in the last 5 years (2 vehicles) and probably many hundred since my first around 1969 and have filled the crankcase 80 to 90% recommended volume ti begin with then run the engine while checking for leaks (about 2 minutes) then slowly add remaining oil til the level is exact. I have yet to overfill and it is rare to be under.
If you want stories of the things I have screwed up I don't think it will fit here!
I wasnt working on the vehicle at operating temperature, I was just bringing it up to operating temperature to check the oil level.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guys, having the engine oil slightly high isn't going to damage it, though it will hurt gas mileage slightly. Just don't go crazy. If you really overdo it, then dump a little back out to bring it within reason.

Quick Reply: Oil level too high?