Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XM Radio install

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:38 PM

Default XM Radio install

I'm considering adding an XM Radio and associated kit to my 2008 Xb. The question I have is whether the existing antenna will be used or does the kit include an antenna that needs to be installed?

Thanks..
Old 12-18-2009, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your kit should include the XM antenna. I installed mine in a 06 XB then added the shark Fin to cover the antenna.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

XM antennas can be placed on the dash towarhd the edge of the windshield... usually in the corner.. or if you wanna get crafty you can put it where i placed my GPS antenna in the dash.

when you have your radio out you can also pop out the trim arond the front of your gauges with minimal effort. if you look off to the left of the gauges there is a vent thats very close to the dash and you can wedge the antenna in there, test and make sure you have good signal before putting it back together. ive put numerous customer antennas there when i install sat radios, its easy and you dont see it at all. best of both worlds.

Just dont do it if you have sirius because you will get really crappy signal.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't put your Sat radio antenna inside the dash. This is a lazy install and you will get weak reception and signal drops, even with XM. I had mine in the dash at first, because the installer swore up and down it would work just fine. What a load of BS. If you want perfect, uninterrupted Sat Radio signal, install it the way the manual says to install it.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by quackPOT
Don't put your Sat radio antenna inside the dash. This is a lazy install and you will get weak reception and signal drops, even with XM. I had mine in the dash at first, because the installer swore up and down it would work just fine. What a load of BS. If you want perfect, uninterrupted Sat Radio signal, install it the way the manual says to install it.
wow thats funny, mine has been like that for 3 years now,, and most manufactures including toyota and are starting to do it on the inside if they don't come with the shark fin antenna...

The small antennas fry when there wet for long periods of time,, like a northern spring time, or a florida summer rain season.. the ant's fry... i had one of the big old kenwood ant's for 5 years outside on the roof that worked awesome,, lasted 5 years of harsh rains and winters..

as soon as they came out with these little anten's the quality went to crap, and I could never get more that 6 months on the exterior...
Old 12-27-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyotamastertechnician
wow thats funny, mine has been like that for 3 years now,, and most manufactures including toyota and are starting to do it on the inside if they don't come with the shark fin antenna...

The small antennas fry when there wet for long periods of time,, like a northern spring time, or a florida summer rain season.. the ant's fry... i had one of the big old kenwood ant's for 5 years outside on the roof that worked awesome,, lasted 5 years of harsh rains and winters..

as soon as they came out with these little anten's the quality went to crap, and I could never get more that 6 months on the exterior...
All I'm saying is that if the manual that comes with your Sat Radio gear says to install it externally, putting it the dash seems dumb and you'll more than likely experience a less than optimal signal sometimes, if not a lot. If a manufacturer wants to design it to work in the dash, great, that's cool. I'm sure they designed it to work in the dash, unlike the unit that came with my AVIC unit.

I've had mini-antennas on both xBs and they work great when properly mounted to see the sky. They've also managed to work great in the intense S. AZ desert heat. We only see a couple good downpours a year in Phx, so I guess that is a good thing if they can have trouble in wetter areas.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Default 2005 tc xm uninstall

anybody out there know how to remove a dealer installed XM unit and wiring? I'm broke and looking to sell it. Please reply to camplaketom@charter.net
Old 02-19-2010, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

trd spark usually has directions for install on their site,, would give you the idea..