Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scion xB Pioneer Stereo is sad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Scion xB Pioneer Stereo is sad!!!

I had an 06 xA that the stereo was twice what my 2008 xB is. I am so disappointed. I want to know if the head unit is the problem or is it the speakers?
If it is the head unit, I was looking at the pioneer Premier FH-P800BT, Is this a good one?

Also has anybody put one of these in? Does the steering wheel controls still work and how hard is it to hook them up?

Thanks, Jay

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-13-2021 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont know, but I gotta say. the "premium" head unit in my 08 is just ridiculously hard to navigate.

yet oddly, I'm considering a Pioneer P4100 DVD to replace it!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Premium Head Unit and Speakers lasted exactly 3 days in my 08 xB. I couldn't take it. As far as replacing the head unit,
I personally have no experience with the fore mentioned unit, but I know you need to get PAC controller to retain the steering wheel controls.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-13-2021 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

My preimum radio works just fine and looks good IMO. The speakers suck bad though, hated them since day one but I've never taken the time to replace them.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For a factory stereo, my 2009 is not bad IMHO.

People expect too much from factory speakers in a 17k car.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i know what you mean.
make sure ur in "tc" mode and on the ssp "feel" setting those will prob yield the results your looking for.

i dynamatted my front doors and swapped all speakers to my memphis ones..cant really complain.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
My preimum radio works just fine and looks good IMO. The speakers suck bad though, hated them since day one but I've never taken the time to replace them.
My base 2008 xB2 Pioneer and speakers worked fine, except that I just didn't care that much for the sound quality (I've always been a bit picky about that). I normally upgrade the speakers in my cars.

After replacing the door drivers and setting the radio to manual equalization, it became clear the OE radio wasn't working out either. I went Kenwood with PAC for the steering wheel controls and the sound is tremendously improved. I kept the OE tweeters -- I've no problem with them, but it's necessary to damp the doors (I used eDead).
Old 12-22-2009, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the input. I think I will start with the speakers. I am not sure if Scion went to a different 6.5 in the doors in 08 versus my 06 xA. but I went to my work today where my xA was again and it has twice the base of my xB.
I did switch my xB to tC mode and it does help, but still sucks. I am not sure i want to mess with the Head Unit yet, I know that the one in my xA which has the same specs is capable if putting out good sound.

Anybody got a good recommendation for speakers that are reasonable?

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-13-2021 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-23-2009, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I came out of a stock 93 Suburban to the 09 RS6. I LOVE THE SOUND! I have some bass now! But I still hate the head unit. Too hard to work with. When I get around to changine it out, I am going back to something with a ****!!! I hate touch screen stuff. They should have included a small sub in the back with the RS line. IMHO
Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus RexB
I dont know, but I gotta say. the "premium" head unit in my 08 is just ridiculously hard to navigate.

yet oddly, I'm considering a Pioneer P4100 DVD to replace it!
Thats what I did but got the 4000 model instead. Yes its the headunit. As soon as I replaced my headunit with actually frequency tuning capabilities the speakers came alive
Old 12-24-2009, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, after my head unit I may invest in some Dynamat type stuff. the buzzing trim is a bit obnoxious!
Old 12-25-2009, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hold on the ssp button untill the model comes up,, 4-5 seconds and make sure it says xb.. if not move it to xb.. if its on the wrong setting it will sound like crap,,,,
Old 12-25-2009, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jspraker
Thanks for the input. I think I will start with the speakers. I am not sure if scion went to a different 6.5 in the doors in 08 versus my 06 xa. but I went to my work today where my xa was again and it has twice the base of my xb. i did switch my xb to tc mode and it does help, but still sucks. I am not sure i want to mess with the head unit yet, i know that the one in my xa which has the same specs is capable if putting out good sound. Anybody got a good reccomendation for speakers that are reasonable?
FWIW -- the larger the interior volumee, the more driver cone area or excursion will be needed to deliver the same bass (physical driver location also makes a difference). Since the xB2 is a fair amount larger inside than the xA, that could be most of the difference you're noticing.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just odd, cause mine sounds really good for a 16k dollar car... if it was a lexus I would expect more but, i'd buy 2 xb's first
Old 12-26-2009, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think its sounds good for a car period.

but I've never been one of those people who likes to act like whatever they have is as good as it needs to be.

because thats a cop out. and changing stuff is fun. Personalizing something you PAID 16,000 bucks for? EVEN FUNNER.

I am so sick of people telling me "well its just a 16,000 dollar car."

I DONT care. it bugs me. I wish to change it. others agree. So we all will.

Please stop acting like we should all think as a hive mind and share the exact same opinions and tastes on everything ever.

we are not the Borg.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i sure hope you were drunk when you typed that at 2 am..... puff puff pass.... omg
Old 12-26-2009, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While I did mean what I said, I tried to say it in a slightly amusing manner.

but the basic statement still stands.
we get you enjoy mediocrity.
we don't.
and we don't need to be told good enough is good enough.
this stereo badly needs a cross-over, Dampening and a better signal.(at least to handle the workload many of us give it.)
and most people would find adding that fun.

so, Plbbbbbbbbbbt.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didnt mean or say anything your saying dude,, i tried to help the guy who started the thread... all I said is mine sounds good,,,, didnt say it doesn't need customizing or anything,, my next purchase is a basslink for mine... I'm all for customizing.. i don't enjoy mediocracy, and really don't know why you are stereo typing me,,, you don't know me at all... What i know of you is you seem very immature and like to jump on peoples back when all their trying to do is help somebody.... I didn't judge you or anybody in here..
Old 12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus RexB
While I did mean what I said, I tried to say it in a slightly amusing manner.

but the basic statement still stands.
we get you enjoy mediocrity.
we don't.
and we don't need to be told good enough is good enough.
this stereo badly needs a cross-over, Dampening and a better signal.(at least to handle the workload many of us give it.)
and most people would find adding that fun.

so, Plbbbbbbbbbbt.
Chill dude! There are lots of perspectives on this and since when is there a topic where everyone will flatly understand and agree with you? Accept the questioning input along with the rest -- it doesn't mean you have to agree with it, it simply provides a counterpoint (not an unreasonable one either). He's probably right that the xB2 has a pretty reasonable OE sound system for the price range. Still, that doesn't constrain you to accept it as your personal limit for the car -- not does it presume he thinks you should.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@ you both.

I would hope any Post ending in Plbbbbbbbbt is not taken to serious! LMAO

and as to my first post on the matter, it was in referance to a general group of people who keep saying "how dare you not be satisfied! its a cheap car!" all over the forum. and In doing so I never said his screen name.

I never said "Toyotamastertechnician, you killed my father... now you must die."

I'm not really all that bothered... but I used generalizing sarcastically in my own statement to mock the generalizing being done in these threads...

but still, I made a star trek reference and blew a virtual raspberry, how could you think I was serious? LOL!

Quick Reply: Scion xB Pioneer Stereo is sad!!!