Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Electric steering power steering issue when below 32F.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Electric steering power steering issue when below 32F.

hey, This is my first car with electric steering and was wondering if anyone else experienced this. Its a 2010 xb and when its below freezing outside and the car is still and I go to turn out of a parking spot, the steering feels like it has a warble to it only as your turning it, almost like a out of balance tire would do on the highway. It only does this when its very cold and when turning the wheel when the car is still. It does not matter if im on dry pavement or ice/snow. Is this a "normal" thing for electric steering? Otherwise the car steers fine. Anyone else ever notice this in there's? Thanx, Happy New Year to all!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joeynenj
hey, This is my first car with electric steering and was wondering if anyone else experienced this. Its a 2010 xb and when its below freezing outside and the car is still and I go to turn out of a parking spot, the steering feels like it has a warble to it only as your turning it, almost like a out of balance tire would do on the highway. It only does this when its very cold and when turning the wheel when the car is still. It does not matter if im on dry pavement or ice/snow. Is this a "normal" thing for electric steering? Otherwise the car steers fine. Anyone else ever notice this in there's? Thanx, Happy New Year to all!
Never noticed it and it's just below freezing or more everyday here in Buffalo for about 5 months out of the year.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Does it continue after everything warms up? I'd assume the engine would heat this just by location at the least...
Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is a little jerky (not a fluid turn when its REAL cold), but once i get going down the road and out of the driveway, its fine.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hi, it seems to diminish as the car gets hot, its most noticable at startup and driving away when its cold.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Side topic:
Turning the wheels with a stationary car is a bad habit, wait until it starts to roll a bit.
Saves wear and tear on the ball joints, tires, steering gear and the pavement. I have seen suburbans do this and you can see the parking lot is torn up when they leave. Don't worry you say, the city will repair it... who do they get the money from?
Ever wonder what starts treads to seperate on tires?