Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Speed sensor and headlights out. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 03:24 PM

Default Speed sensor and headlights out. Help please.

I have a new RS7. I am currently looking at the "three stooge" Traction Control, VCS, Check Engine lights. I am also without headlights and headlight dash indicators. All other exterior lights work and car drives normally. I checked with an ODB today and got the "P0500 Speed Sensor Malfuntion" error code. Here is the chain of events.

Day 1: Moved wheels and tires from old XB to new XB. Drove home and did some errands. Nothing seemed out f norm.

Day 2: Removed negative terminal on battery. Removed stock premium stereo and installed Pioneer Avic nav system. Also installed a small amp and sub. I could not locate the Speed Pulse Wire so I installed the system without it(rather not have it than connect it wrong). Started the vehicle and pulled out of the driveway. The Trac Cont, VCS Off and Check Engine lights all came on. The headlights would not turn on either. I checked all fuses and double checked my wiring. All AV systems work but headlights are out. I disconnected the ground and reset the car. Let it run for a while to charge and shut it for the night.

Day 3: Woke early and went to start the car. Same errors and no headlights. Went to Auto Store and used ODB scanner. Got "P0500 Speed Sensor Malfunction."

Could the headlights and speed sensor be related? Could it be from the wheel change or did I screw something up? I am thinking about involving the dealer but I don't want to send it in for something I caused that I can fix.

I have scoured the web. My wife and I have spent hours searching for answers but I am totally stuck on this one.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The headlights part makes me think fuse. The rest I'm not sure.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:33 PM

That was my first thought. I've triple checked the fuses in the box next to the battery. Are there more on this car?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are likely some under your dash as well (under the steering wheel, to the left). I know there are some in both locations on the tC - so yours should be similar.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ack154
There are likely some under your dash as well (under the steering wheel, to the left). I know there are some in both locations on the tC - so yours should be similar.
You are correct. I found another small panel in the bottom of the wiring harness. All fuses look good. Nothing appears blown. Thanks for the suggestion though.