Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help With Racing Seats

Old 03-26-2010, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation Help With Racing Seats

Ok so I just picked up a slightly used set of Bomz racing seats, real nice seats.. My problem is the airbag lights.. I just took out my passenger seat to take a look at the brackets to see if I could reuse them, I had to go out while my passenger seat was still out. I noticed the air bag light on my spedo was on, this due to the fact that the wires connected to the air bag in the seat are disengaged, also the passenger air bag off light flashes and the seat belt light as well. Now my question is for those of you that have put racing seats in your xB's.. What did you do about these problems? Im going to reuse as much of the stock seats as possible, this will fix the seat belt light and ding, but I have no clue what to do about the airbags.... I could REALLY use some help.....
Old 03-27-2010, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't have an xb, but this problem runs with most people who install racing seats. from what i have read, the airbag light is on because it doesn't find the signal from the old side airbag built into the OEM seat. When you switch the seat to a racing seat, you lose the side airbag. If i remember correctly, people put resistors in line with the harness to eliminate the light.

That's all i can think about right now, and that may only apply to tcs, im not 100 percent positive. But search the forums, ive seen a bunch on this topic. good luck
Old 03-28-2010, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would avoid messing with the airbag system, aside from unplugging things with the battery disconnected. Any modifications could make the airbags go off. Pricey mistake.

If you're going to install racing seats, your airbag system will be inoperative, or may not function properly, since it won't be able to determine the presence or weight of passengers. If its a daily driver, I wouldn't do it. In Hawaii and probably other states, if you disable your airbag system, your car is not legal to drive. They will require you to tow your car home if they pull you over. Check your regs and be safe.