Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Some general audio "upgrade" questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Some general audio "upgrade" questions...

I may look into upgrading my xB's audio in the future here... But I don't need/want to go crazy on it... Basically, I would like to update the front speakers to some higher quality, better sounding (full-range?) speakers. And I want them to be installed in the factory location... OEM placement, just upgraded.

Second, maybe introduce a small 8" subwoofer under my seat or something.

Is this possible with the stock HU? Also, would upgrading to high-end full-range speakers make a good improvement in sound?

I don't want to spend much money on this, and I want it to be simple and OEM looking, with no amplifiers, subs, speakers visible. Hidden under my seat or something, and new replacement speakers in OEM locations.

What is your take on this? I would like to spend $400 or less, ideally. If not less.

Just getting some rough ideas here first, thats all. Nothing set in stone Looking at options.

I like the stock audio, but the bass can get muddy (as there is no dedicated speaker for this ), but maybe a high end speaker can do better? I would also maybe upgrade the tweeters if need be and if possible in stock locations.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EBAYYYY

Best place to get great speakers and amps if you go that route. You can use the stock headunit for upgrade. Do you want to go with a amp? You can get stock replacements that just go right into the door without upgrades of anything other then the speakers.

Have you looked into 6x9s? You can get a component set with tweeters and all and power them with small amp and get a great full range sound of bass. Won't be a thump but will give you a better range of bass.

A friend of mine recommened pioneer 4-way speakers. They have 2 sets of tweeters 1 mid and 1 low. He swears by thema nd what I will be going with. But they would require a amp.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is what I need help with... Selection, Choices, Install, etc...

If plug and play, I can do it. If it takes complex wiring, it will be done professionally.

The simplier, the better. If I can get "all-in-one" high quality speakers to replace the OEM's, I am all for that.

An amp is not out of the question, but I would be like to be able to hide it without being visible or taking up usable space.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would recommend a class d amp if you want to stick it somewhere. They don't get near as hot as normal amps, also they have a much better quality sound. I have mine under my rear seat.

This may sound bad weird or whatever, but go to crutchfield.com and there will be a place to talk to a live associate. They will ask you questions on what you would like to do as far as your setup and give you suggestions. Thats what I have been doing and they are always great setups IMO.

Just remember the price you give them will be different if you get it off ebay, which I highly recommend. Just make sure anything off ebay is BRAND NEW or refurbished. Also get a warrenty with anything.

For I.E. if you give them a price of 400 you could probably get everything for 200. I would shoot higher if you wanna get some high quality things. But like I said I plan on going with pioneer 4 ways. 2 sets of tweeters and you can power them.

As far as running everything wire wise I am not the best at that. So I will leave that to others. Crutchfield will be able to help you a lot tho
Old 04-01-2010, 06:15 PM

Go to some local shops and listen to different speakers and see what you think, maybe even take a favorite CD with you.
I would replace the front speakers with separates or components as to get the best possible sound, and there are plenty out there that will fit your budget and work well off of low power(your fact radio). Plus they will fit in the OEM/Stock location for a 6.5" speaker, you will need an adapter plate and speaker harness to make it an easy fit.

For some bass, to fit your budget, I would look at some all-in-one amplified sub enclosures, they make a few small ones with an 8" that I am sure would fit under your seat.

Going with a separate amp, sub, speakers, wiring and enclosure I think will bust your budget, so look for deals and if you are not comfortable or experienced in taking your car apart and interfacing with the cars wiring and electrical system seek out a reputable shop and installer to do the work for you. This will add more to your budget, but most shops give you an install warranty, and if you buy the product from them, all your warranty is in house, this can save a lot of headache and shipping charges and time.

Ebay has great prices, but most are not authorized dealers and the warranty will not be honored by the manufacturer if it wasn't purchased from an authorized dealer, so that low price is great, but minus any warranty.

Last edited by Audiomechanic; 04-01-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ebay has a warrenty provider that will email you almost immediatly and will cover anything.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Not to get off-topic.

Do you mean eBay Buyer Protection? From what I understand about eBay Buyer Protection, it handle things like the product not being as described or damaged or mis-represented.
I have been a seller and buyer on eBay for many years, not familiar with them handling warranties. Not trying to split hairs, just would like to know if they somehow honor manufacturer warranties somehow.

You can check Alpine, JL Audio, and DEI's websites just to name a few or call them and if you buy from a none authorized dealer(which your receipt would show) they do not honor those warranties, its sometimes referred to as trans-shipping.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM

If you don't have the tools to take your dash and door panels apart, here are the ones to get. These plastic panel removal tools are great for working on Scion's and other cars that have plastic that is easily damaged or scratched. I have links from The tool Warehouse and Harbour Freight, I know that HF carries different sets in the stores. If you want to work on your car or anybody elses this will be some of the best money spent. I personally own multiple sets of these and others, I have been working on cars since the early 90's.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=67021

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-36...atic-4505.aspx

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-10...ent-df609.aspx
this set is a little more expensive, but I use it and one other tool quite often, just used it last weekend to install the OEM fog lights on my 09 xB.

Hope this helps.

Also about the front door speakers, the are riveted in so you will need to drill the rivets out to remove and replace the speakers.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:54 AM
SL Member

They riveted the speakers? Wow. That's lame.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by natesi
They riveted the speakers? Wow. That's lame.
Not really. Actually makes sense. The speakers move to produce an audible signal. The sheet metal in which it's riveted to is thin. If the factory were to bolt the speakers in, or even screw, there's a possibility of a speaker coming loose and rattling. So it makes sense. Not only are there rivets, there's small plastic isolators.

To the OP, definitely look at your options. Going to listen to speakers at a local audio shop helps, but they're still in a wall/room. You can't really get a very accurate demo if it's not in the same environment. It's like listening to stadium speaker setups in a barn. Just doesn't work. However, you can get a good idea of what can be had.
I'd suggest first replacing the OEM component set with a higher quality product. I'd definitely run components and keep the OEM sail panels with the tweets mounted from behind. I"ve done this with my JL XR650CSi's and I am fairly happy.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go to a good audio store (sorry, the big box stores don't cut it). Bring along a wide range of CDs with you (not stuff that your friend's burned for you). Listen to the speakers, not the music. Listen to what each instrument/voice is sounding like. Ask to hear their BEST speaker, price is no object. Then work your way down (slowly, take your time) until you find a speaker that has most of the characteristics of the best speaker at the price you can afford (but don't cheap out). NEVER, ever buy a speaker off the net or anywhere if you haven't heard it with your own ears. When you do find the speakers you like, buy it from the store you heard it at rather than off the net. Yeah, it's more expensive, but you'll get service and advice after the purchase because you're building a relationship with a shop and it's people.

New speakers will need some sort of mount to fit them on the door. I used 3/8 baltic birch plywood, but 1/2-3/4 MDF is fine too (give it coat of truck bed liner to waterproof it). Won't take you but an hour to make and paint a pair. Use a jig saw and be neat. You can try to bolt the mount onto the door or just make new holes for the screws.