Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Feeler...cat back exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 PM
SL Member

Default Feeler...cat back exhausts

I was working on a guys xB2 today, & he mentioned, only one company makes a FULL exhaust for the 2nd gens.

I'm an exhaust fabricator, & i work for www.mandrelbend.com

I would like to produce kits for the xB2 using stainless steel components.

The kits...depending on whats fully involved would probably sell in the 600-800 range & will fit perfect.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm the XB2 guy whose car Greg worked on today. I just want to vouch for Greg's work. I was impressed by the work he did on my exhaust today and will be going back to Greg for all my future exhaust needs.

Greg, if I might make a suggestion, if at all possible you should consider offering individual replacement pipes that bolt up to the factory exhaust connections as well as a complete cat-back. There are numerous axle-backs available and already installed. Some people might want or need to keep the "scuba tank" for their state's emission compliance. JMO, FWIW.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people would be interested most in a "mid-section/scuba tank" replacement because that's the only part of the exhaust that seems to be left alone. Most likely because it's the part with the catalytic converter. If you were to make it though, you would need to put in the biggest muffler you have. Most likely of oval shape. Definitely has to be a good quality replacement, and not a crappy glasspack.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I have the Tsudo Dual cat back Exhaust and love it. But the one thing no company has done is a scuba tank replacement. The only exhaust to come complete is the Ebay system's.... I would love to have and see a direct replacement for the scuba , more power and some more sound would be great.
Attached Thumbnails Feeler...cat back exhausts-cbe-scxb08-u10_g.jpg  
Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I'm the XB2 guy whose car Greg worked on today. I just want to vouch for Greg's work. I was impressed by the work he did on my exhaust today and will be going back to Greg for all my future exhaust needs.

Greg, if I might make a suggestion, if at all possible you should consider offering individual replacement pipes that bolt up to the factory exhaust connections as well as a complete cat-back. There are numerous axle-backs available and already installed. Some people might want or need to keep the "scuba tank" for their state's emission compliance. JMO, FWIW.
Yeah, exactly. Ive already got the nice Borla axle back and do not want to get rid of that.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Holy f*ck 600-800$ is a lot
Old 04-23-2010, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elwaylite
Yeah, exactly. Ive already got the nice Borla axle back and do not want to get rid of that.
I think there are many here in the same boat. BTW, is your Borla a scuba-back or axle-back? FYI, the oem pipe from the scuba to the axle-back is only 1.80" ID.

Originally Posted by Frizz
Holy f*ck 600-800$ is a lot
Not really when you consider what you're getting. My understanding is that this would be a true full exhaust from the header or maybe s-pipe back to the tip (scuba-delete, mid-pipe, axle-back). I paid $350 just for the TRD axle-back and W-R charges $200 just for a 2.5" S-pipe.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

The Borla is an Axle back system. The Tsudo and Strup are the Scuba back systems and the CRX and ebay exhaust are complete.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be most interested in a good scuba tank replacement. I want slight more sound but nothing that is gunna change it to drastic. Good resonator would be good. Anyone know if the scuba tank is removed will the check engine light come on?
Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thx Drew.

Originally Posted by oreoremix42
I would be most interested in a good scuba tank replacement. I want slight more sound but nothing that is gunna change it to drastic. Good resonator would be good. Anyone know if the scuba tank is removed will the check engine light come on?
CEL: Header = yes, scuba delete = no

The CEL gets set for poor catalyst efficiency because the 2nd O2 sensor (before the scuba) reads richer with the primary cat removed.

Don't forget that you need to replace the 1.8" mid-pipe between the scuba tank and the axle-back to gain anything from a scuba delete.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:48 AM
SL Member

ok, so theres a ton of intrest in a mid section...that will drop prices significally (i was quoting from the manifold-back originally.

ScionFred had me install a 7" round muffler in the middle...& i got it sitting up in there really good

so manifold to rear section exhaust...with huge muffler/resonator...probably a 6" diameter one just to have a little more clearence

maybe 400 range? its hard to say until i know what its all going to require
Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 AM
SL Member

If i was looking for anything it would be a good stainless steel 2.5" s-pipe and mid pipe
Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you tried any oval mufflers for the mid section? Oval mufflers can provide some clearance (regarding vertical clearance) and might still fit in the "side to side" type clearance. This might be a better solution.

Also, is this going to be in 2.5 or 3 inch size? ScionFred is strictly turbo, so what works for him might not end up working for the majority of owners, since most are N/A.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Feeler...cat back exhausts

My muffler shop installed an oval muffler. I will take pics this weekend when I change my gear oil.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
SL Member

i would recomend either 2.25" or 2.5" for the n/a guys

no need for an oval muffler, that 7" tucked up nicely & was not the lowest part of the car
Old 04-23-2010, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Malibuguy
i would recomend either 2.25" or 2.5" for the n/a guys

no need for an oval muffler, that 7" tucked up nicely & was not the lowest part of the car
Oh, then you should go for that. I said oval because oval would do good ground clearance and good muffling properties since there's more volume.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

IF I do exhaust on my xB2, I want the whole kit and kaboodle. Whole shabang. If I have to pay a bit for it, I will.

Just like tattoos... Good work ain't cheap, cheap work ain't good.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
IF I do exhaust on my xB2, I want the whole kit and kaboodle. Whole shabang. If I have to pay a bit for it, I will.

Just like tattoos... Good work ain't cheap, cheap work ain't good.

Well said!!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, the oem "scuba tank" is round, 6.5" dia by 26" long including the tapered ends. 2" in and 1.8" out. The round straight-thru muffler I had installed is 7" dia by 18" long, 3" in/out. Having had a good look at things while the car was on the lift, I agree with MalibuGuy that a 6" round muffler would fit great.

BTW guys, don't forget that you really need to replace the tiny 1.8" ID Crush-bent mid-pipe between the scuba and axle-back. Guys with Tsudo or Strup only need the scuba replacement but everyone else will need at least that and the mid-pipe. FWIW, I've been measuring my oem pieces and the s-pipe is 2.25" ID at the header and reduces to 2" ID into the scuba.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:06 PM
SL Member

double check that front pipe...it may be double wall (most toyotas are with the front pipes)

like my xB1 has like a 2 or 2.25" OD pipe going into the converter...but look inside...its around 1.75" then after the resonator...its 1.65"

of course its all sexy 2" now ;)

Quick Reply: Feeler...cat back exhausts