Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scion Security system (Alarm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Scion Security system (Alarm)

Has anyone had the Dealer install a Scion Security system? The Dealer has sent me a letter to install the system. I told them i wanted to install my own alarm. The service person said if I installed an aftermarket alarm that I would void my vehicle warranty.
I have owned and bought Toyotas new before and was never told this. i have also brought my Toyota to service and they said my warranty would not be void. I had the alarm installed by Toyota today. when factory alarms are installed, I usually see a Security light
in the dash cluster when it is armed. My Scion doesn't have that. It has a little red light installed by the Traction Control button. Did Toyota install a b.s. (aftermarket) system or is it any good? By the way the alarm is supposed to be the Pro-200 from Toyota.

The book says Pursuit Series Pro9233N.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-08-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 AM

I have the Scion Security system. There is a red LED in the knockout next to the shifter with a glass break sensor (microphone) in the same place. Your dealer is not to be trusted, IMHO.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by DoctorWho
I have the Scion Security system. There is a red LED in the knockout next to the shifter with a glass break sensor (microphone) in the same place. Your dealer is not to be trusted, IMHO.
Scion Security system (Alarm)-my-pictures.jpg
was this it?
Old 04-29-2010, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would've gone with an aftermarket system, like the Viper 5901. Factory alarms aren't so hot. Aftermarket systems are comparable in price, waaaay better feature-wise, and have lots of sensors that can be added.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Scion dealer gave me the scare story of installing an aftermarket alarm. Seeing what it did (not much) vs. how much it cost (mucho bucks) I opted not to get it. All sorts of dire warnings ensued. Went to a shop that I worked with and trusted and got a Autopage installed. It senses impact shocks, door openings, the usual. It also unlocks all the doors on disarm, automatically LOCKS all the doors when you start the car (very nice) and has a silent arm/disarm feature. And it was only half the price of the factory alarm (which is itself an aftermarket unit made for Toyota).

They also wanted to sell me a set of rims, too. Dire consequences awaited my mortal soul (and xB2) if I kept the steel wheels. You see, I like in Kaneohe, Hawaii (the windward side of the island) and we do get some salt air. Once my salesman heard this, he said I really needed to get alloy rims as they were safer! My steel rims would rust and eventually fail in my environment! I didn't have the heart to tell him that my 1986 Camry (135k miles, thank you) had steel wheels and were still going strong. Had to donate it to the Kidney Foundation "Kidney Cars" program (if you need to dispose of your car, go to them!) when my mechanic said that one engine mount was bad, and he couldn't find any replacements. The 86' Camry is dead, Long live my Camry!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:55 AM
SL Member

Installing an aftermarket security system will not void you warrenty. Your dealer is lying to you and I would suggest finding a new one.

As for the Scion Security I thought about it getting it myself but i went the aftermarket route instead. I felt the Scion Security was not that great as the only extra sensor was the glass breakage. I ended up getting the Viper 5902 with a few more extra sensors